Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Sigh. I am currently overthinking an incoming frame which, in a perfect world, would have already arrived. But, its not such a world. I am leaving on a trip a week from tomorrow. With luck, and a lot of it, the frame might arrive next Friday or Saturday. I have slowly accumulated all the parts over the spring and summer. I’m overthinking how to reorganize my available time to pack the frame and parts at the last minute. Can I get the BB installed so I don’t have to bring those tools? How to pack a pile of parts and a frame? What is going to happen will happen, so why am I even worrying about it? But of course, I am overthinking the matter and trying to be positive about taking the bike on the trip. Sigh. I knew when I started the process that the timing would be a long shot, but this is SO CLOSE!
Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 PM

I have a SOMA Wolverine with Jones bars I can't get comfortable on. Might need to try drops.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:31 PM
Resident Slacker

Putting a dropper on the bikepacking bike. Been agonizing over this for 6 months now. It would mean ditching the porcelain rocket Mr Fusion which I love for its anti-sway design. It would also require going back to 27.5+ for tire clearance.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:42 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I just got a Moots CR and thinking of having it painted (Black Magic?) in the Team 7-Eleven colors. It's kind of an ode to my favorite cycling team.
Do it. That will be an awesome looking bike.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM

I thinking about buying a new 44 Ti MTB. However if I do I will need to sale a bike. I think I would want to sell my pink 44. However, I cannot imagine anyone who would buy a pink MTB.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I thinking about buying a new 44 Ti MTB. However if I do I will need to sale a bike. I think I would want to sell my pink 44. However, I cannot imagine anyone who would buy a pink MTB.
Would I? Yes. Yours? Too small...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 PM

Paint on incoming max Zanconato
Old 09-15-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Interesting sales pitch! I'd ride that thing in a second...
Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 PM

Since moving to AZ, my road riding is limited to the weekends. The afternoons are spent on my Coconino Dirt Road Racer on the gravel roads and trails that butt up against my neighborhood. The roads and trails are rocky and since 4 wheelers use them, there's lots of loose stuff, cat litter-like gravel that my front tire will plow into forcing me to death grip the bars and try to stay up.

So here's the overthink part. The bike had 38mm Gravel Kings. The fork is a steel unicrown with lots of clearance so my idea was to install a wider front tire to handle the loose. This evening I installed a 1.9" Specialized Ground Control 2bliss on front wheel. The wheelset has WTB KOM I23 rims so that's not an issue. Neither is clearance. I don't think I'll get anything bigger than a 40 on the rear because I wanted a double crankset. I could with a 650 but this is my experiment with the existing wheels. I'll try it out tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:26 AM

I'm currently overthinking a project for my father, who is considering getting back into cycling after borrowing my Hampsten SB for a "5 minute" (read: 65 minute) ride last month in Vermont.

He tends to be impatient, so leaning towards a Honey Allroads with 700c wheels, 2x gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. Still going back and forth on frame material, however...
Old 09-16-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Anything sells at 25% of MSRP
Old 09-16-2018, 04:57 AM

I am overthinking the paint scheme of my incoming Gaulzetti Aerotack, I overthought every part on my incoming Seven Sola SL, I enjoy overthinking bike stuff.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Vendor

Road bike: New supersix disc and I'm loving it but I'm still thinking about how I really want a steel disc road.

Bike Packing Bike: Raleigh stuntman that is heavy as sin but still convinced I can think my way into a lighter ride (steel frame)

Travel Bike: Veloce is crap (it isn't) I should probably get record
Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
What would the new 44 have that the old one does not, besides Ti?
Old 09-16-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Since moving to AZ, my road riding is limited to the weekends. The afternoons are spent on my Coconino Dirt Road Racer on the gravel roads and trails that butt up against my neighborhood. The roads and trails are rocky and since 4 wheelers use them, there's lots of loose stuff, cat litter-like gravel that my front tire will plow into forcing me to death grip the bars and try to stay up.

So here's the overthink part. The bike had 38mm Gravel Kings. The fork is a steel unicrown with lots of clearance so my idea was to install a wider front tire to handle the loose. This evening I installed a 1.9" Specialized Ground Control 2bliss on front wheel. The wheelset has WTB KOM I23 rims so that's not an issue. Neither is clearance. I don't think I'll get anything bigger than a 40 on the rear because I wanted a double crankset. I could with a 650 but this is my experiment with the existing wheels. I'll try it out tomorrow.
Worked like a champ, yay overthinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1744.jpg (150.5 KB, 102 views)