Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The people who made that decision in the long, long ago are stil there and calling the shots.

Read: He wouldn't stop talking about Lance's obvious doping.

Read: We just wanted to make a buck. Why's he gotta keep upsetting the apple cart.

Read: After years of us starving the LeMond brand because Greg wouldn't shut up, he finally had the gall to sue and we're taking our ball and going home.

What they do for cross is fine.
LOL.

LeMond torpedoed his own brand because he was upset at not longer getting the attention he used to. So he made up a B.S. story about how he figured out a TdF winner must be doping--as if he was not aware that the whole sport is drenched in drugs.
It is a lie he continues to tell to this day. Sure, Greg. You used your knowledge of cycling and physiology to determine Lance was doping instead of telling the public, "Doping is normal in European pro cycling. When I was racing pretty much everyone--except me, of course--doped and it is unthinkable that anything has changed with the current winners."
Old 09-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
LOL.

LeMond torpedoed his own brand because he was upset at not longer getting the attention he used to. So he made up a B.S. story about how he figured out a TdF winner must be doping--as if he was not aware that the whole sport is drenched in drugs.
It is a lie he continues to tell to this day. Sure, Greg. You used your knowledge of cycling and physiology to determine Lance was doping instead of telling the public, "Doping is normal in European pro cycling. When I was racing pretty much everyone--except me, of course--doped and it is unthinkable that anything has changed with the current winners."
Have to agree. Trek made the right decision.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:07 PM

My wife has done the Trek dirt series mountain bike camps for a couple years. She's had a wonderful experience with those camps. Trek does a great job.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I stopped reading when I got to the part about not being happy with their dealings with LeMond.
Don't buy from a company you don't like. It'll always be in your head. Too many good options to give your money to a company you don't think is ethical.
I agree 100%.

I recommend you ignore "aero" frames if you can. The performance benefits are much more minuscule than you are led to believe.

If not, then just buy anything else but Trek and stick to your principles.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
LOL.

Hi Lance! Nice of you to stop by again.

Of course, if you're John Burke that's fine too.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM

There are workers there doing their jobs and supporting themselves and their families. Who gives a crap if a few people at the top are dooshbaguettes.

Buy American.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashunc View Post
hi lance! Nice of you to stop by again.

Of course, if you're john burke that's fine too.
lol!!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:45 PM

Just like people selectively pick charities that resonate with them, I think we all make conscious concessions when deciding which products to consume/buy. Is it even possible to be a consumer only of product from companies that are ethically sound across the board? Unless you’re living by the sweat of your brow, grow your own food, and live completely off the grid, the answer is no. Life is full of concessions. Maybe a better stance is to look at a company you avoid as a personal decision based solely on where you choose to selectively apply your ethical bandwidth. Others chose differently, and that’s totally fine.

I’ve never ridden the latest Madone but I’d have no problem trying one out. I used to have a Ridley Noah...it was pretty darn aero in its day and I loved it. Might be worth checking out current Ridley options. I also like the Wilier Cento10 Air. That’s a pretty aero frame. I’m currently on a Cento1 Air that I custom painted myself and LOVE it. Of the newer crop of drop seatstay aero frames I think the Scott Foil is least weird looking. Too bad Basso and Merida aren’t available stateside...
Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 AM

@echappist
What about the Orbea Orca Aero?
Available with caliper brakes AND Orbea is part of the worker-owned Basque Mondragon collective.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
There are workers there doing their jobs and supporting themselves and their families. Who gives a crap if a few people at the top are dooshbaguettes.

Buy American.
Stop. Read the bolded quote again. Ask 'what could be the thinking which underlies this proposition?'

As to the original question, I couldn't give a rat's arse. Sorry if this seems an attempt to derail the thread.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:19 AM

I am in the buy the bike if that is the bike you want camp. While not popular here, Trek, Spec, Giant, etc. make some fantastic bikes.

So many companies out there (in the larger world) have shadier backgrounds than this. I also believe that if it wasn't the LA thing, Greg may have torpedoed his brand in some other way. He may be a great rider, but doesn't have the best track record of being easy to do business with.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
My wife has done the Trek dirt series mountain bike camps for a couple years. She's had a wonderful experience with those camps. Trek does a great job.
My buddies wife does the same. Trek apparently dumps a ton of funds and personnel into youth camps and supporting trail building etc. he said he was extremely impressed w them. I’m not a “big box store” bike fan but I can appreciate and support this. Other side of the lance/lemond coin
Old 09-15-2018, 06:29 AM

The rear brake looks annoying, but what about a Felt AR?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Hate it when people love the quote.
FIFYA
Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 AM

I really enjoy my emonda. I’d like to own a domane and I might get one in the next few days. I’m not aware of any ethical issues that my desire and enjoyment poses.

Nothing in this thread has convinced me that my trek purchases over the years are bad ones. The guy that owns the trek shop here is awesome and so are his employees!