Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 12:31 AM

My Time VXRS comes in right at the UCI limit and it rides great! At least when I first get on it. Most of the time I ride bikes that are around 18 pounds and when I get on a 15 pound bike, it just feels more responsive...stand on the pedals and the bike jumps and I'm up to speed!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 AM

My Crumpton (58tt) SR11/Bora35 is 14.4lbs with pedals, 2 bottle cages....ready to go less Garmin 520.

Lightweight bits are Ciamillo carbon brakes that work and modulate very well, SiSl2 crankset and AX Lightness saddle that is over 10 years old.

In 4 plus years of ownership.........everything works as it should.

Best bicycle ever.

I have a '18 Trek Emonda with Ultegra that serves as beater bike. It's obese at 16.8 lbs.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

the key to a light bike is to start with a light frame. easy to go under 15lbs if your bike is under 1000g. Now you can get 700g frames. And as clean39t mentioned a few grams here a few grams there. You don't even need weight weenie stuff. You can have a 14lb bike with reliable stuff... Under that then you definitely need to get some boutique parts.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 AM

What’s it like riding a light bike....humiliating, when I pass them going uphill on my 17-18 lb bikes!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:08 PM

I typically ride older bikes in the roughly 23-pound range, so getting on one of my 15-18lb bikes feels different.
The difference is most noticeable towards the end of the ride, as the reduced weight has somewhat spared my legs on the climbs (it's hilly here).

Then there are days when I will bring out one of my heavyweight (27-29lb) road bikes like an early-70's Raleigh Super Course, Steyr Clubman or Schwinn Super Sport, and still manage to stay with the group, but a lack of sprinting prowess is the most noticeable characteristic of those bikes.

Occasionally, I take one of the old Schwinn Varsities (low to high 30's in pounds), but I have to consider the level of ride that it is in terms of the terrain, distance and pace. These tanks are fine for many medium rides that sort of become hard rides, good training mileage and lots of fun!

Indeed though it is not so much about the bike.

Last edited by dddd; 09-17-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM

It feels like a tail wind.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:35 PM
ZhugeLiang

dated article: Eliminating the UCI bike weight limit is overdue
https://www.velonews.com/2011/07/bik...overdue_181145
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
What’s it like riding a light bike....humiliating, when I pass them going uphill on my 17-18 lb bikes!
I like to do that on my 18-year-old 18-pound bike. (Which was considered pretty light when it was new).
Old 09-17-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
dated article: Eliminating the UCI bike weight limit is overdue
https://www.velonews.com/2011/07/bik...overdue_181145
If it was over due then it is 7 more years over due now.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 PM

I've ridden light bikes for the most part. Obsessed with the light riding frame and bike, as cycling in my passion and premier hobby. The hobbyist in me, equates to weight weenie builds.

One of my lightest builds was an 11lb BH Ultralight Evo bike with semi weight weenie parts. That bike climbed like a goat and descended like it was on rails. On the flats it crushed... Technology has come a long way. Most of the pro peloton frame and forks are under 1,000g combined. They have to meet UCI weight limits, but those bikes can easily be 11lb with the right selection of weight weenie parts. Would you say 90% of the peloton bikes ride like crap? Probably not.

The biggest advantage I see from riding light bikes, are the fatigue factor. When I ride my steel bike, I can immediately tell a difference from certain efforts over longer rides. When i rode my 11lb bike, I was less fatigued, than say my 13lb steel bike. I also attribute that to different technology. The BH was super snappy and on long climbs the snappy nature required less muscle if that makes sense. When I get out of the saddle on that bike, I was using less muscle to turn over the gear versus my heavier bike.

The gains were marginal, but over the duration of a lengthy ride 80mi, your body would let you know. I ride my Speedvagen which is about 13lb and my carbon bike which is 11lb. SV is steel and has standard BSA BB, versus PF30/BB86. The lack of immediate snap in the SV is where I feel the weight and on long step climbs. Not saying the steel heavier bikes lacks, just pointing out the difference in weight and tech.

The benefits of riding a super light weight bike, are noticeable on long sustained climbs, quick punchy switchbacks and overall ride fatigue.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
One of my lightest builds was an 11lb BH Ultralight Evo bike with semi weight weenie parts.
Sweet jeebus, how do you get a bike down to 11lbs with only "semi" weight weenie parts?!?! What would a full-on weight weenie build come in at?

I'm impressed.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:02 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Sweet jeebus, how do you get a bike down to 11lbs with only "semi" weight weenie parts?!?! What would a full-on weight weenie build come in at?

I'm impressed.
Probably 10.8... that bh is pretty weight weenie save for the brakeset and tires (maybe wheels too)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

The only weight weenie in my garage is this cervelo R3 here. 16.4 ibs. But to get it on the road fully functional, I need to throw in the spare tubular in the back of the saddle, my life-saving Blaze Exposure rear blinking light, kinda nice to know where I am heading and how far...so add the Garmin 800 in the front...oh oh oh...I do live in Texas and I would like to be able to take a sip of water at some point, so add in the two water bottles, filled! Oh gosh, what have I done to my precious weight weenie...now it looks like it's 3-month pregnant. Put it on the scale and reads : 22.5 Ibs. Crap! I might as well get back on my 21 Ibs Ti bike which is lighter...and probably rides better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C292510A-C804-4688-9820-F45F11449B2B.jpg (151.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Having just spent a month in Europe riding up and down the major cols of France and Italy, its my opinion that the importance of bike weight is ridiculously overblown as a factor that we focus on. If your not a pro and/or at less than 10% body fat and in prime shape, a few pounds here or there just doesn't matter a wit compared to other factors. Frame stiffness, fit, tire selection and most of all rider fitness is so much more important. As Old Potato would remind us, its the total mass of rider and equipment that's more relevant than lightness. Sure a light bike can ride great, but so can a bike that weighs 2-5 pounds more and the first bike at the top of the Col is going to depend on the rider not the bike.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM

My bikes are too big to ever be that light but relatively speaking after getting some light carbon wheels I can definitely feel the difference and it's pleasing.