Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 10:45 PM

What's It Like To Ride A Light Bike.

Someone asked this question in the wrong forum and I couldn't participate.

I have one at 11.13(soon to be 10+), one at 13.04(12+ coming up) , one that'll go from 15 down to 14 and the last I want to build down to 13lbs.

They're okay.
F8 sold
S-Works SL6 Ultralight
Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 PM

What are the frames, and what are the bare frame weights?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Have no idea, everything i have is heavy
Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Total Fred

I've gotten bikes below 18 lbs before...for a 6'2" person that doesn't go out of the way to get lightweight, that's pretty good. But I still had to pedal it, so it didn't feel much different from my road bikes that weighed like 22 lbs.

Tai
Old 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM

I think aside from impressing your friends who pick them up, light bikes typically ride like *****. I remember I was so excited to ride my friend's super weight weenie trek oclv back in the late 90s.. thing was a good 7 lbs lighter than my Kona Hot. The thing couldn't hold a line, bounced all over the place and just felt crummy. Since then, I never focused on weight. If it's a hill climb bike then, that is the only reason I would focus on that, but since I climb slow as molasses- never bothered.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I think aside from impressing your friends who pick them up, light bikes typically ride like *****. I remember I was so excited to ride my friend's super weight weenie trek oclv back in the late 90s.. thing was a good 7 lbs lighter than my Kona Hot. The thing couldn't hold a line, bounced all over the place and just felt crummy. Since then, I never focused on weight. If it's a hill climb bike then, that is the only reason I would focus on that, but since I climb slow as molasses- never bothered.
I think by any objective assessment, things may have come along a little in 20 years, such that some light bikes ride quite nicely...

Some do, some don't, my overall impression on a fast handling very light bike is that I'm deep into cornering about half a second before I expect to be. They can catch out the unwary. YMMV
Old 09-14-2018, 02:53 AM

My disc brake road bike is 14.9, compared with heavier bikes it feels more lively and agile, although whether it is significantly faster is marginal... it is a little quicker climbing, and definately handles better, however, it just feels nicer to ride

My XC mountain bike, which I bought from a pro, weighs 16.8 (with Rockshox SID WC forks), it is better in every respect over any mountain bike I have ever had. Even on roads it climbs better than most road bikes, and climbing off road it is simply amazing

I am just building a Gravel Bike, that I am hoping will be 15.6-16 not gone super light as it will be my winter bike and needs to be robust
Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 AM
Registered (ab)User

This is all based on conjecture, as I've only ever weighed one of my bikes and that was years ago when it sported a different wheel set. I would bet my road bikes all range between 17 and 20lbs, but who knows?

...and fwiw the only time I'm aware of any of my bike's weights are when I'm lifting them up off the ground. Which, as it happens, I do every day, because my bikes are all stored hanging from overhead or high wall-mounted hooks. So I'm constantly reminded of which of my bikes is the lightest...until I'm actually riding. From that point on it's all about fit, geometry, and whether or not everything is working. The weight differences disappear on the road.

[edit: Then again, I suppose if one of my bikes was ~5 or 6lbs lighter than the others there might be a discernible difference? Or maybe not, still. Meh...]

Last edited by Bob Ross; 09-14-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 AM

When I see all these sub 15lb weights wondering how it is done. I have a Firefly carbon/TI with 9000, bontrager xxx wheels, and brooks carbon railed saddle, still comes in at 16 lbs. I guess super duper weight wheels that would be fragile. but a disc bike?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:16 PM

At my weight, I am having a hard time riding a Brooks saddle! So sometimes, I can't test ride my customers bikes. Last week, I got a Niner MTB down to 24 pounds for a customer with Stan's Podium wheels and they had a weight limit about 80 pounds lighter than I am!
So these 12 pound bikes are just not going to happen for me.

BUT, I do have a response. I went from a very conventional Schwinn to a Cannondale to a Ti Serotta over a few years. I was a lighter rider than by about 70 pounds. With a LOT more power. I bought the Cannondale because it was the only bike I couldn't make shift when I jumped hard. Even some of the higher end bikes were too soft for my use.

When you take 10 pounds off of a bike and keep the same power with a lot more stiffness, it is frankly amazing. It's like going from driving a huge 4 door family car to a light weight sports car. The ability to accelerate is better, but the agility is better with a lighter bike.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
When I see all these sub 15lb weights wondering how it is done. I have a Firefly carbon/TI with 9000, bontrager xxx wheels, and brooks carbon railed saddle, still comes in at 16 lbs. I guess super duper weight wheels that would be fragile. but a disc bike?
Post your build, or weigh individual parts, and it'll become obvious - 20/30/40g here and there adds up, and next thing you know you're up around 16 instead of under 15.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Barely Hanging On

I don't know how this thread has gone on this far without pictures. If the bikes have them, I'd love to see close-ups of the exotica that places like Fairwheel and Posh Bikes have.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Have you done that test since then?

Gotta say that I tested an Emonda (14-15lbs) up Mandeville Cyn. in LA. Back-2-back with another bike (my own steel 18-19lb custom rig) and I sure noticed the difference and found that the Emonda rode wonderfully --- up and down the hill.

I still ride the steel rig daily but man, if I had the cash I'd plop down for an Emonda in that weight + price range.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 AM

Trek Emonda

I have a 12.5 Emonda, and I have to say that while it does climb well (descend too), I always prefer the feel of my Ti bike (which is about 3 pounds heavier). That may be because I generally prefer the feel of metal to carbon more than any weight-related thing. In fact, I am considering selling the Emonda to make room for a Peg, although I am very curious what a light weight English Cycles bike would feel like . . . .

Ryan--
Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 PM

My weight weenie Rob English planes really well...

(Ducking)