Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 01:57 PM

Speedy pricing jumped a couple years back when they became an "in" thing with the Hodinkie crowd.

Seamasters remain an incredible deal if you are ok with diver rather than a chrono.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyh View Post
Watchuseek over eBay, or even one of those consignment places like Real Real if you don't want to stress over it.
Thanks...

Watchyouseek sounds like here, but more posts:
Quote:
Specifically: To initiate a sales post in the Sales Corner as a private seller you must first be registered longer than 90 days and have a minimum of 100 posts in our discussion forums.
I think I'l just figure a fair price for a fixed price listing on eBay and see what happens...
Old 07-23-2018, 06:54 AM
'97 Ti Legend

I don't disagree as to the overall suitability of divers for biking, I'd certainly consider trading in my Speedy for a PO. I had and sold a Speedy moon watch, I could not get used to the lack of a date, and frankly didn't love the daily winding, I was pretty used to automatics. Instead I acquired an Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow '57 Re-edition with an automatic movement and a date wheel, and wear it very regularly. FWIW, I think I paid $1,600 about ten years ago. Whether I bike with it is more a decision based on if it is on a leather strap or a bracelet rather than a concern over dust, vibrations, etc.

This watch:

As for the Speedmaster's accuracy over toughness, that's not quite right. It is not very water resistant (no water in space) and I would not swim in one, but the NASA test was much more comprehensive that accuracy. It included a myriad of tests such as high humidity/steam, shock, vibration, decompression, etc. Here is an article on the process, note the Rolex failed on the humidity and the temperature tests.

http://www.twentytwoten.com/1574/nas...ter-moonwatch/

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyh View Post
Have you owned one? I love my Speedy and wear it damn near every day but manual chrono movements are known for their precision, not their toughness. Even just winding it too aggressively can cause issues.

If OP is going used Omega I think a diver is by far the better bet here.

Last edited by DRZRM; 07-23-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 AM

I bought this earlier this year - new Railmaster, I'm (essentially) an engineer and the story appealed to me:

I wear this slightly more often though, always loved the Tintin books:

Which inspired this:

Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 AM

I vacillated between a Speedy or a Planet Ocean for my Omega ~10 years ago.

I went with the PO. Still pleased with my choice.

I'm still fan of the Speedmaster, too, especially on leather.

That Railmaster is beautiful.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:16 AM

If you want the watch that's been to space a ton and has quite the history in its own right (and isn't the obvious choice), Fortis would be a great option.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Agree with the Seiko Diver suggestion, I just got a black dial Mini-Turtle on a silicone strap and it is a fine watch at a reasonable price. Got the Japanese Domestic Market model from these guys:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...e-ref-srpc39j1

I'll consider it a first step on the way to N+1
Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM
'97 Ti Legend

As this is a generic "watch talk" thread, I have a question about servicing watches. I'm already on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." bandwagon, and only send watches in if they are not keeping time, or there is some issue. Usually get 10 years between service, sometimes more. So everything is out of warrantee by that time and there is not much reason to send them back to the maker for service unless you need a specific part. But increasingly companies (IWC and Omega) will not sell parts for unauthorized service.

Where do you guys go for service, and can they work on all brands (for a clean and lube of a working watch that does not need an actual repair)? I've used RGM here in PA and like their work, but their prices are creeping up towards authorized dealers lately. Any good deals still to be found out there?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Loving that Railmaster - the band is amazing! I wish you could get one without the faux vintage creamy markers.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Explorer serviced at Rolex NYC, Nov 2016, $809.46.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM
extremely tall

I’ve had very good luck with Jack at International Watch Works. There’s a wait,but excellent/lasting work at fair prices.

http://internationalwatchworks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
As this is a generic "watch talk" thread, I have a question about servicing watches. I'm already on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." bandwagon, and only send watches in if they are not keeping time, or there is some issue. Usually get 10 years between service, sometimes more. So everything is out of warrantee by that time and there is not much reason to send them back to the maker for service unless you need a specific part. But increasingly companies (IWC and Omega) will not sell parts for unauthorized service.

Where do you guys go for service, and can they work on all brands (for a clean and lube of a working watch that does not need an actual repair)? I've used RGM here in PA and like their work, but their prices are creeping up towards authorized dealers lately. Any good deals still to be found out there?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I had a Speedmaster that I bought used in 2001 for $1,200. Several months ago, I sold it for $3,000 on the Bay.
Wow, I have a transitional 97 Speedy Pro (tritium lume, c.861, etc.) I've been considering selling, good to know what it's worth right now.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
I’ve had very good luck with Jack at International Watch Works. There’s a wait,but excellent/lasting work at fair prices.

http://internationalwatchworks.com
+1. I'm a longtime Jack customer, great work, honest communication.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Loving that Railmaster - the band is amazing! I wish you could get one without the faux vintage creamy markers.
The lume is a bit marmite, personally I like the overall look of the watch.

I've ordered the anniversary Seamaster that comes out this Christmas:

Then I'll have an example of each - Speed/Sea/Rail.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:27 AM
underachiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner View Post
IM retired military and truly do not use all the features. i just like sturdy watches that last.
A little late to the game here but thought I'd recommend a Maratac. I recently picked up this Maratac Mid Central Second Pilot Automatic (2017). Missed the boat when then were introduced last year so happy to finally have one on my wrist. Really love the design, especially the crown at 4 o'clock. No date. No branding. One of only 50 produced. At 39mm it's a bit larger than my go-to 36mm but I'll get used to it. This is the first pre-owned watch I've purchased and I' happy to say it was a pleasant experience.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet