Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Daniel

Tire life

Over the past year, I've killed a few Panaracers tires with tan sidewalls. The tally, updated as of 1pm today are couple pairs of Paselas and a pair of Hetres. All were on commuter bikes for me. 2 of the 3 sets came to me used so take my study with a grain of salt.

But still it has me wondering: Do Panaracer tanwalls not hold up to lots of UV? My commuter bikes sit outside in the weather (and sun) 10ish hours a day. Would black sidewalls do better? Schwalbe fair better than Panaracer? Stiff sidewalls trump the #supplelife?

I'm getting cold feet buying more tanwall Panaracers to commute on, even though I love the ride and the looks.

Your thoughts, Mr. Paceline?

Last edited by 559Rando; 09-19-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Over the past year, I've killed a few Panaracers tires with tan sidewalls... Do Panaracer tanwalls not hold up to lots of UV? My commuter bikes sit outside in the weather (and sun) 10ish hours a day. Would black sidewalls do better?

Obviously the definitive test would be to put a tanwall on the front and a blackwall on the back, but who can stand that look. But, what exactly goes wrong with them? I guess you mean the sidewalls deteriorate in some way?

Incidentally, "Tire Life" used to be the name of a coating we'd brush onto sewups when I was just beginning in racing (1970s). It's just liquid latex, but maybe there's an idea there -- something you could apply to protect the sidewall's surface? Armor All? Clear polyurethane? Stan's? Gorilla glue? Better living through chemistry!

I don't suppose there's a bike rack on the other side of the building? Other side of the street? Might be the easiest solution.

Also, consider it could be something besides UV. Lotta car traffic where you lock up? Lotta ozone. Close to salt water? That's bad for everything on your bike.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 AM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Obviously the definitive test would be to put a tanwall on the front and a blackwall on the back, but who can stand that look. But, what exactly goes wrong with them? I guess you mean the sidewalls deteriorate in some way?
Exactly

Quote:
Incidentally, "Tire Life" used to be the name of a coating we'd brush onto sewups when I was just beginning in racing (1970s). It's just liquid latex, but maybe there's an idea there -- something you could apply to protect the sidewall's surface? Armor All? Clear polyurethane? Stan's? Gorilla glue? Better living through chemistry!
Good point. I did augment with clear Shoe Goo at one point. But maybe a new tire could also get a coating of something and/or a monthly Armor All application. I suppose I do tire sprays for my car, so why not my bike?

Quote:
I don't suppose there's a bike rack on the other side of the building? Other side of the street? Might be the easiest solution.
Fair. But this is the closest and usually I'm running out the door to get to the train. Also, bike theft is rampant and I trust this spot (albeit with 2 U-Locks).

Quote:
Also, consider it could be something besides UV. Lotta car traffic where you lock up? Lotta ozone. Close to salt water? That's bad for everything on your bike.
Good call out. I'm next to both. Probably 250ft to a major highway with lotsa traffic and beyond that is the frontage road next to the bay.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:08 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
Over the past year, I've killed a few Panaracers tires with tan sidewalls. The tally, updated as of 1pm today are couple pairs of Paselas and a pair of Hetres. All were on commuter bikes for me. 2 of the 3 sets came to me used so take my study with a grain of salt.

But still it has me wondering: Do Panaracer tanwalls not hold up to lots of UV? My commuter bikes sit outside in the weather (and sun) 10ish hours a day. Would black sidewalls do better? Schwalbe fair better than Panaracer? Stiff sidewalls trump the #supplelife?

I'm getting cold feet buying more tanwall Panaracers to commute on, even though I love the ride and the looks.

Your thoughts, Mr. Paceline?

2 same tires. The lower has served on my commuter for the past 10+ years
Old 09-19-2018, 06:01 AM

I've never found tan wall Panaracers to be particularly durable or long wearing. They sure ride nice though. FOr a commuter I give up some ride quality over durability all day long. Try and Urban Max for the commute if you like the general ride of the Pana.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Obviously the definitive test would be to put a tanwall on the front and a blackwall on the back
Eh, even that wouldn't be definitive since one's weight distribution isn't 50/50 F/R.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:19 PM

I never had good luck with tan sidewalls on Panaracer Paselas. I had several fail over the year on both a single bike and our family tandem. I switched over to the Panaracer T-Serv and sidewall issues went away. The T-Servs have proven to be incredibly reliable. They nearly always go through their entire lifecycle with zero issues. Run 'em until I see the casing and replace.

Greg
Old 09-19-2018, 01:37 PM

Pretty unrelated but I have had 3 sets of Pasela gum wall tires. 2 out of the 3 have had a bubble in the sidewall brand new out of the box. After sending email to Panaracer, they replaced them with bubble-less ones.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:40 PM

I am a Panaracer RiBMo guy, supposedly Japan's most popular tire. Just returned from my second 4000 km plus fully loaded bike tour and have had zero punctures or tire issues on both tours. Rode 700 X 28 mm this time and 26" X 1.25 the previous tour. Rotated my tires once but sill have plenty of tire left to ride next spring. You might consider ditching the gum walls and giving these a try.

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-19-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Pretty unrelated but I have had 3 sets of Pasela gum wall tires. 2 out of the 3 have had a bubble in the sidewall brand new out of the box. After sending email to Panaracer, they replaced them with bubble-less ones.
I had the exact same experience with some Paselas a few years back. In my case, our forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect.com took my tires back and promptly replaced them. Great service!

Greg
Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 PM
|:||:|::|:||:|:

Unofficial data point from my years in the shop: on bikes that lived outside, tan walled Pasela's had dry/brittle sidewalls (often with ripped threads) long before the tread wore out. Blackwall versions lasted longer and didnt seem to dry out prematurely.