Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Salsa Marrakesh build

I recently picked up a salsa Marrakesh frameset that I'm planning to build up for my girlfriend. I've got a pretty good idea of what will work well with this, but I'm kind of looking for some build suggestions, if anyone has input. It will be used mainly for gravel road and crushed limestone trail rides, and possibly some bike camping on relatively short trips.

I'm planning to go 2*10 on it, as I already have a set of sram road hydro shifters. I don't know if I can run a road double crankset, or if the width of the chainstays requires a mtb crankset. I have a Dynamo hub wheelset that I think would go great on it, but still need to work out tire choice (clinchers, probably in the 29*2.0 realm, unfortunately the wheels are not tubeless ready).

Anyone know if a sram mtb 10sp clutch rear derailleur will be compatible with those shifters? I've read that all the exact actuation stuff is compatible, but would love verification. I assume the front der will depend on whether or not the crankset is a mtb or road. I'd also like to find a quality rack that will fit this frame.

I'd love to hear from any current Marrakesh owners, and if anyone has photos or a build list that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Yes, a clutch MTB derailleur will work with those shifters if both are exact actuation.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM

Here is a (non-hydro) setup similar to what you're describing. Using a Tiagra FD.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...8&postcount=12
Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM

What rear derailleur and shifters are you using with that setup? I can't quite make it out in the photos.

Ideally I'd like to use a wide range cassette, maybe 11-36 (or 40?) to get a nice low gear, but maybe that's overkill? There are some surprisingly steep hills here in nebraska.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:47 PM

Just noticed the link, disregard Rd/shifter question

Tags
marrakesh, salsa