Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Adventure cranks options with Campagnolo

I am seeking some whizzdom from folks here as to resolve one small shortfall with my otherwise awesome new Potenza hydro group on my CX bike. I don't race the bike. I tend to ride singletrack on it and I am pretty out of shape, so good gearing is a must.

I bought the 52x36t cranks because the 36t ring seemed appropriate based on past experience. I was planning on buying a Specialites TA 46 or 48t ring to replace the outer ring, but now question whether this is a good use of money.

As I only really use the 36t, I suppose I could use a narrow wide single ring, which would mean that I would need to ditch the Potenza crank (and I am OK with that).

Here are the options that I see:

1) MTB crankset (eg Raceface) with a 36t NW ring.
2) Miraculously find a NW Campy 4 arm chainring, but I don't know that any exist.
3) Campy 5 arm crankset and modify a set of 110mm rings to deal with the 112mm bolt pattern (done it on a singlering and it worked fine)
4) buy an 'alt' crankset. I don't want to spend a lot on this, so while White Industries sounds ideal, its too costly.
- FSA Adventure cranks - 46x30t?
- Praxis Zayante (or whatever theyre called) 48x32t model?
- 110mm cranks with Wickwerks 44x34 rings (that would actually be my preferred gearing I think)
- Crazy deal on an Easton crank (not likely though)?
- MTB double with weird gearing (44x34 Shimano?)?

The adventure type cranks seem a smart idea, but the big ring seems too big. I think a 42 or 44t seems ideal for blasting along, coupled with a 32 or 34t for grinding up trails.

Does anyone have suggestions here for this? You are welcome to offer up appropriate items that you are selling, but I am primarily looking for advice of suitable gearing options.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM

If you're only using the 36t ring, why not run a bash guard or chainkeeper? Then keep the existing 36t ring without the need for a narrow wide ring.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:58 PM

So you would also prefer to run a double 34-42 (44, or 46)? 'Cause that's doable with your crankset. Isn't it?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
If you're only using the 36t ring, why not run a bash guard or chainkeeper? Then keep the existing 36t ring without the need for a narrow wide ring.
Yes, 36 is fine for me. I would like NW, as I have had good experiences with them on my MTBs and commuter. I guess I could grind down the 52t to become my bashguard ??

As for an ideal, I suppose that 44x34 would be it. Or even 42x34. I don't think you can get an outer 42 or 44t road chainring for 11speed, Campy or not.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM

I was lucky enough to pick up a lightly-used TA crankset here that is 110bcd 5-arm. I'm getting ready to order a 33/47 set of TA rings for it to pair with a 13/29 rear Campy 10 setup. I think this will give me adequate gears for up to 20% grades on the road, which is about all I could ever need.. And I'm not chasing any downhill KOMs on that bike, so pedaling past 30mph will be a bit pointless. I imagine I'll spend most of my time in the 47.

Maybe go searching for some 5-arm 110bcd and order up those TA rings?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Campy makes a CX crank 46-36 but it is power torque so I think requires a different BB.

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...BoCCekQAvD_BwE
Old 09-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I don't think you can get an outer 42 or 44t road chainring for 11speed, Campy or not.
Edit: Nevermind I got it wrong.

(I believe you could mount an inner chainring as an outer. (I'm not familiar with the latest cranks.) The chain ring won't have pick up pins. But the performance would likely be okay)

Last edited by Hindmost; 09-18-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Campy makes a CX crank 46-36 but it is power torque so I think requires a different BB.

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...BoCCekQAvD_BwE
Yes, I had seen those when I bought the Potenza. They're 170mm and I would need 172.5 or 175mm. I am just starting to size down to 172.5mm these days.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:00 PM

You could run a triple crankset. Cheap now. The middle ring would be about where you want it. Run a small ring on inside...down to 24 I think, and a guard on outside....or just a ring. Probably with a double shifter if you did not use outer position.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-18-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Thanks Ralph, I am tending towards something modern. I have a Ritchey Logic on my commuter CX bike and love it, but this bike needs something 'current'.

On that ironic note, is there really a difference between 10 and 11spd chainrings? I have an idea about using a Raceface crankset and some 10speed rings. I emailed RF about actual CX rings and then asked whether I could use the top two rings of a 10spd triple.

Covering his butt, he said that he wouldn't recommend it, but I wonder if there'd be any difference in reality? I know others have said that Campy 10/11 rings are compatible, but what about other manufacturers like Raceface?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 PM

I have a Ritchey 50-34 set and BB that I used with 9 speed Campy shifters and derailers that I'd sell for $50 plus shipping.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanks Ken, but no, 50t is still too big and that would just get me buying more stuff I don't need!

In an ideal world, I am looking for a 44x34 eleven speed crankset. Not sure if this exists?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 PM

I might be over complicating things here (that’d be a first!)

If I really think that I will ride practically exclusively in the 36t ring anyways, why not just remove the 52t and simply use a Paul Chainkeeper? I mean, this is what people did before NarrowWide, right?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I might be over complicating things here (that’d be a first!)

If I really think that I will ride practically exclusively in the 36t ring anyways, why not just remove the 52t and simply use a Paul Chainkeeper? I mean, this is what people did before NarrowWide, right?
Good idea..yes, before all the other stuff, CX guys did this all the time..
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ken, but no, 50t is still too big and that would just get me buying more stuff I don't need!

In an ideal world, I am looking for a 44x34 eleven speed crankset. Not sure if this exists?

Wickwerks has 44-34-11 speed rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk