Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 01:07 PM

Find yourself a Schwinn Paramount or Schwinn Prologue from this time frame, these were made by Panasonic.

1988 Schwinn Prologue

Old 04-04-2024, 02:18 PM

My favorite Panasonic bike video. Very sweet: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz-gC6ySU_j/

David
Old 04-04-2024, 02:55 PM

I have a couple of early Panasonic's here that I need to go through and get back on the road. They are pretty nice quality bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2024, 03:14 PM

I'm supposing that Panasonic got out of the mass produced bike business sometime between the late '70s and recent years? During the bike boom I worked in a shop where we sold a good number of Panasonic "10-speeds" in the $200-$300 (IIRC) range. Straight gauge Cr-Mo tubes, basic cotterless alloy cranks, mostly alloy Suntour components. Compared to their European and especially their US competition (essentially department store bikes), the Pansonics were carefully packaged, a cinch to assemble, and hardly needed any adjustment.

From the catalogs, we knew they made some high end bikes, but I don't believe any Panasonics of that sort were sold by us. Schwinn also marketed some of these bikes under the "Le Tour" label (Schwinn approved, of course!).
Old 04-04-2024, 04:21 PM

Just gorgeous. I had no idea there were any factories making lugged steel frames anywhere in the world in 2024. I thought it was all artisan one man shops now.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
My favorite Panasonic bike video. Very sweet: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz-gC6ySU_j/

David
That's hilarious!
Old 04-04-2024, 05:29 PM

Both terrific videos.thanks for posting
Old 04-04-2024, 05:34 PM

Lot of nice machine tools there. Bit more efficient than a hack saw and file
Old 04-04-2024, 05:44 PM

Thanks Peter! I haven't recently had (and don't really need at my age) a fixie, but this video is interesting and Panasonic makes some great fixie/track frames...

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 04-04-2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:55 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Just gorgeous. I had no idea there were any factories making lugged steel frames anywhere in the world in 2024. I thought it was all artisan one man shops now.
This is a bit of a cliche/stereotype, but there's a lot of truth to the idea that Japanese culture favors the collective over the individual. Sometimes entire legacy industries, like sole-proprietor fisherman who use traditional methods, are kept afloat with government subsidies and explicit community support. Given the value that this business represents for the craftspeople who work in it, and their apprentices, I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic keeps this going more for its symbolic and cultural value than its economic value.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:02 PM

Love mine, a PR5000 from ‘89

Old 04-04-2024, 07:45 PM

I remember seeing ads for these "custom" Panasonic frames in Bicycling Magazine or Velonews, I think, back in the late '80s. Not quite custom but quality fer sure, at an attractive price. Good to see they're still available.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Sunshine

The brazing machine is crazy looking. That's an insane amount of flame, even when something as thick as a bottom bracket is the focus.

Super cool video. For some reason I really like the look of socketed lugs. I know they save time and cost, but I still like the look. The seat post cluster and especially the fastback seat stay sockets look neat.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Apparently it's common for Japanese manufacturers to continue offering lugged mainline models, limited to their domestic market. In addition to Panasonic, Araya offers a few road and randonneuring models. Bridgestone/Anchor only recently ceased production of their lugged road frames - even having developed oversized lugs and some version of tapered steel tubing.

And of course all the lugged NJS bikes for Keirin racing.

Lugged production also appears to be an on-offer option for some, if not all, of the major Taiwan manufacturing firms. Crust had no issues spinning up production of all their lugged models about a decade ago, through to today.

It's interesting diving in and finding out what is still available, even if only available in other parts of the world.

I tried to buy this one but COVID quashed the sale and I couldn't find a contact after so I eventually gave up.

Last edited by spoonrobot; 04-04-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:15 PM
commuter racer

The yen is pretty low now, good time to buy Japanese stuff. I remember watching a similar video about Panasonic custom bikes when i was in high school in the early 90's. https://cycle.panasonic.com/products..._order/frcc04/