Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 04:37 PM

Replace my Finish Line Citrus degreaser with Home Depot's Zep?

Got less than 300ml left in my always-on-hand can of Finish Line Citrus Degreaser which sells for $22.98 for 600ml at my LBS.
https://velotique.com/products/citru...nt=36806469774

Wondering if I will be as happy with Zep which is $18.98 for 3.78L at Home Depot?

I usually use blue Dawn for the surface cleaning.
For tougher grease and to give ball bearings a quick and thorough clean, I pull out the citrus.

So Zep just as good and any of the "specialty" stuff in a bike shop, or will I be throwing out 3.75 litres of Zep?

That green degreaser at MEC was a disappointment.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:58 PM

I used Citrus Cleaner from HD for a while in my little Harbour Freight parts cleaner. It sure worked great! But was cleaning this beautiful TA silver chainring....and after cleaning, just left it laying around, and it became discolored. Became "milky" looking. Ruined the looks. So if cleaning a shiny aluminum part, would suggest washing it off with warm water afterward. But it cleaned great in parts washer.

Then later replaced Citrus cleaner with mineral spirits in the parts cleaner, and it killed the parts cleaner motor...but was warned by directions not to do so...which I ignored. But I thought the Citrus cleaner with wore out kitchen brush cleaned as good as mineral spirits. And easy to dispose of.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
(...) Wondering if I will be as happy with Zep which is $18.98 for 3.78L at Home Depot? (...)
Probably yes, but as Ralph pointed out, be careful what you put it on. Check the specs online for usage instructions and exclusions before you buy it.

I once melted a tire by accidentally letting a wheel stand in a small puddle of bicycle-specific citrus degreaser, so even bike specialty cleaners can't be trusted to be 100% safe.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:30 PM
Back At It!

so, I tried Zep and whenever I'd spray it, it would always get in my throat/lungs and make me cough a lot.. figured that wasn't good.. simple green never did that, other bike cleaner had never done that..
Old 04-03-2024, 06:35 PM
I need you cool.

I used the Zep Citrus Degreaser from HD for years...went to waxing and now just boil chains in hot water....seems to work OK.

I can see still using the Zep for a real thorough or cleaning of a new chain though....

Disposing of the dirty Zep stuff in a PITA though....I fill up an old jug and then take to hazardous waste disposal every other year or so.....
Old 04-03-2024, 07:48 PM

Zep is definitely effective at degreasing.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:37 PM

Zep I believe does strip anno though so keep it away from alloy bits.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:54 PM

Does anyone use Simple Green for this purpose?
Old 04-03-2024, 10:54 PM

I've always used Simple Green and it's been pretty effective at degreasing for me.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:18 AM

I started using zepp based on silca's recommendation for cleaning a chain prior to waxing. Works incredibly well. I assume it would be good with other parts as well.

I'll second that the smell can be off putting and am reminded to dig out my bottles of dirty cleaner to dispose of soon

Veloo, I know you're in the east end, if you want a liter for free, let me know when you're west of Bathurst and I'll give you some to try out. The gallon jug I have will last me a lifetime.

Last edited by pdonk; 04-04-2024 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:40 AM

I have been using it for the last three years without any issue. I have noticed a slight haze on the chain and cassette afterwards, but I apply it to a brush and never pour directly onto parts, so it is minimal at best. No corrosion that I have noticed either.

I am in the west end, so if my litre is closer, let me know. 😋
Old 04-04-2024, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I used Citrus Cleaner from HD for a while in my little Harbour Freight parts cleaner. It sure worked great! But was cleaning this beautiful TA silver chainring....and after cleaning, just left it laying around, and it became discolored. Became "milky" looking. Ruined the looks. So if cleaning a shiny aluminum part, would suggest washing it off with warm water afterward. But it cleaned great in parts washer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post
Does anyone use Simple Green for this purpose?
I used Simple Green in the past. I left some silver chainrings in the bucket soaking overnight. TURNED THEM BLACK! But wherever the chainrings were touching, they remained silver. Sorta have a mottled finish now. So if you're using Simple Green, don't let them soak, and rinse immediately and thoroughly.

I put Simple Green in a spray bottle and if I get caught in the rain, when I get home I spray the tires and rims then rinse off. Gets rid of brake dust very well.

I currently use the Zep Orange degreaser from the big box hardware store. It's maybe marginally stronger than Simple Green but nowhere near as effective as the old standbys of gasoline (sorry!), diesel, etc.

Tip: When I use the Zep Orange, I pour it in a bucket. After use, I funnel it back into the bottle, using coffee filters in the funnel. It takes several sessions and replacement of the filter, but the degreaser while now discolored, is still good to use.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:24 AM

Mineral spirits or camp stove fuel for me. No water based stuff ever.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscq View Post
I use the purple Zep specifically for that. Works way fast and most definitely requires a thorough rinse.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so, I tried Zep and whenever I'd spray it, it would always get in my throat/lungs and make me cough a lot.. figured that wasn't good.. simple green never did that, other bike cleaner had never done that..
Fun fact, there's almost no citrus in citrus degreasers.

They're all petroleum distillates, covered up with citrus scent.