Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 09:21 PM
Meh

The CEO drama at Scott Sports

Friday, Scott announced that they were dumping their CEO (and former majority owner) Beat Zaugg as CEO and replacing him with Juwon Kim, a member of the board. Notably this seems to be driven by Youngone, a Korean apparel brand that is a majority stakeholder in Scott and recently loaned them $166 million as a lifeline:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...opment-refresh

Today, and not an April fool - Beat Zaugg announced that he was still in fact CEO and that the board hadn’t “properly” fired him:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...o-scott-sports

Weird times in the bicycle industry.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Friday, Scott announced that they were dumping their CEO (and former majority owner) Beat Zaugg as CEO and replacing him with Juwon Kim, a member of the board. Notably this seems to be driven by Youngone, a Korean apparel brand that is a majority stakeholder in Scott and recently loaned them $166 million as a lifeline:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...opment-refresh

Today, and not an April fool - Beat Zaugg announced that he was still in fact CEO and that the board hadn’t “properly” fired him:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...o-scott-sports

Weird times in the bicycle industry.
That is strange. Fun fact Rapha used to make a load of stuff at Youngone - and maybe still do.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:32 PM

I'm just not going to buy any Scott bikes for a while...
Old 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM

From second article linked

Quote:
Zaugg told BRAIN that Scott is facing challenges similar to those of other major brands. “Like everyone else we have too much inventory
Old 04-02-2024, 11:44 AM
Administrator

is Scott even relevant as a brand anymore, it's been a long while since I have seen or heard anything from them.

I remember when I first started getting into cycling, I worked with a very strong amateur racer, and she was just over the moon with her new Addict.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:47 AM

Not sure of the definition of 'relevant,' but I have three friends, two men and one woman, who are very happy with their Scotts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
is Scott even relevant as a brand anymore, it's been a long while since I have seen or heard anything from them.

I remember when I first started getting into cycling, I worked with a very strong amateur racer, and she was just over the moon with her new Addict.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:52 AM
Back At It!

I think they may be bigger in Europe.. I know Francis Cade on Youtube (Cade Media) was a big fan of them.. even though he isn't sponsored by them this year (they wanted to be able to test other brands), he seems to still like them.. and he seems like a pretty honest guy, even if he was sponsored by them..
Old 04-02-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

They still sponsor a world tour team, and in XC MTB they sponsor Nino Schurter, who has been the best XC rider of the past decade.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Ahh, I see.

Pretty decent looking bike.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:33 PM

They also sponsor SAFA Brian the YT content producer.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:33 PM

Some of my favorite bikes ever have been from Scott. I absolutely loved the three generations of Addict framesets I had as well as the original Foil. They have always fit me spot-on and were rocket ships in a Crit. Only sold my last Addict as a friend was begging to buy it.

That said, the most current generation of bikes doesn't do much for me, but I am not a fan of the super integration/ complication of stuff in general.

If/ When the times comes to upgrade the current race rig I'd certainly consider another Scott

Last edited by RacerJRP; 04-02-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Meh

For the last several years, Scott's whole brand is hiding stuff inside the frame. To include entire shocks on the mountain bike side. The prices are also fit for Zurich.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
For the last several years, Scott's whole brand is hiding stuff inside the frame. To include entire shocks on the mountain bike side. The prices are also fit for Zurich.
This is a function of their Bold Cycles acquisition, the whole rear half is lifted straight from their design.

I like it. Mountain bikes are converging faster than road bikes, it's good to see some innovation.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:59 PM

I feel like, for the past 5 or 6 years, Scott has been stronger on the MTB side, than the road/gravel space. Their drop bar offering is fine, but just seem kinda meh, anonymous.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:02 PM

I was listening to some cycling podcast within the last week and there was some quip about the problem with cycling companies is they are run by enthusiasts instead of the right business people.

Seems relevant.

That Foil pictured is so trying to be a Tri bike or something but then saying "just kidding I'm UCI legal". It's like it's taking things too far, yet it still looks good, whereas the Plasma is hideous.