Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 11:20 AM

Moab - route suggestions

Have you ridden in Moab recently and have trail recommendations to share?

I'm headed there next week and am looking for blue-rated mtb routes around 10-15 miles with 1000-2000 feet of elevation gain. My 12 year-old daughter can ride fairly technical terrain, but we're going to skip trails with a lot of exposure like Porcupine.

I've got a great map and see many of the local shops list individual trails on their websites. Where I could use some help is piecing together several shorter trails into a larger loop. If you've done something like that yourself and can share your experience I'd appreciate it.

Can't wait for this adventure, aside from the two days in the car to get there!

Steven
Old 03-25-2024, 11:29 AM

Its been a very long time since I've been out there, but I think the Bar M loops might fit the bill from what I remember riding.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Its been a very long time since I've been out there, but I think the Bar M loops might fit the bill from what I remember riding.
Thanks, those are on my list for sure.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:34 AM

Related question - if you used one of the many guide services in town for a day-long tour I'd be interested in hearing about it, too.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM

I'm sure others can speak to it more, but I went a couple years ago.

There are tons of great blue level trails in the Navajo Rocks region and Mag 7. Really pretty (as everywhere there). Could spend a day at either area. Lots of fun.

We also got a shuttle and did the whole enchilada. From my recollection, I didn't feel particularly exposed at any point, and I'm pretty chicken about that kind of stuff. I'm not sure I'd even rate it a black, unless you are unwilling to walk a few sections. Fun to go downhill for 25 miles (or whatever it is)!

EDIT: But yeah, probably too huge a ride for a 12 year old!

Last edited by notsew; 03-25-2024 at 05:28 PM. Reason: reading comprehension
Old 03-25-2024, 12:19 PM

I haven't been since 2014, but my favourite trail network was Mag 7, lots of varied terrain, nothing too difficult and lots of typical views.

MOAB brand was less fun, but an interesting ride, similar to slick rock.

In terms of a guide, a good map is all you really need for most of it. Only place we wish we had one was Poison Spider Mesa, which is long hard ride, that I would l=not suggest to anyone.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:22 PM

The Klondike Bluffs trail network is a good first day ride. The original trail to Arches is scenic, moderately challenging, and great for building up a riders confidence if they've never ridden in the region. I haven't explored the new trails they added but some are supposed to be more technical if you want to add more mileage.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone, this is good stuff!
Old 03-25-2024, 01:32 PM

Not what you are asking about but Moab is a special place to some in my family. I did rent a Jeep there once and drove the whole White Rim Trail. Saw lots of mtn bikers out on that trail, doing the whole thing. Awesome place. My son and I bought 20 gal of water for day, busted 10 of them on rough trail, and gave rest to bikers out of water. Don't forget plenty of liquid. Last time I was there, there was a very informative visitor center in middle of town that can give you kind of info you are seeking. Worth stopping by if nothing else to watch a short film of area. Sometimes they have flash floods and some places are very muddy.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:45 PM
n - 1

I’m headed there tonight but for Easter Jeep Safari.

I don’t think Porcupine is too exposed but that’s a long day on a bike especially for a 12 year old (but perhaps your daughter is a strong rider. I know I’ve gotten shown up on that trail by teens).

Sovereign on the north side of the trail is fun. Dead Horse point. If you ride in the afternoon, the sunset is gorgeous over the Colorado River/White Rim.

This site has good info.

https://utahmountainbiking.com/areas/moab/
Old 03-25-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I haven't been since 2014, but my favourite trail network was Mag 7, lots of varied terrain, nothing too difficult and lots of typical views.
Hmmm are there two Mag 7's? When I went in 2019, we did a long day of not terribly hard riding, and then my two buddies i went with decided to do an after-dinner Mag 7 run. They'd never done it, and they said to meet them at the campground with the car at whatever time it was. They were hours late and it got dark and i was seriously worried about them. They finally made it to the car and said it was the sketchiest, hardest ride they've done, and they are very seasoned riders. They said a bunch of the technical sections were un-ridable and they had to walk their bikes a ton.

Now that im writing this, maybe it was one of the connecting trails to Mag7 that they did which had the super technical stuff in it. I obviously didnt do it, so I cant recommend it.

OP: I will say that the "whole enchilada" was a lot of fun! But not for a pre-teen. It isnt as techie as some other trails there, but there was definitely a lot of sketchy/dangerous sections. Also its an all day thing. We went in May and the top of the mountain still had a ton of snow, so we got shuttled up only most of the way.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:31 PM

I think that at this time of year most of the Whole Enchilada is snowed in, so the shuttles only go partway up (maybe just to Lower Porcupine).

Based on our experience riding in Sedona when my daughter was 10, I know she she can handle new challenges. But I have to manage risk and stress from the terrain, so exposed trails on the edges of cliffs are not for us. I probably wouldn't enjoy them too much, either.

I've also learned that compared to the Bay Area trails we ride regularly, blue trails in places like AZ, UT, and CO are often much harder than our own.

Today I talked with Moab Cyclery about doing one of their half-day tours, which we'll probably sign up for once we know our schedule. The rest of the time I'll lead us on our own routes on some of the trail systems you all have mentioned here.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:49 PM

+1 for Navajo Rocks. Good mix of terrain with plenty of slick rock sections.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:41 AM

Moab

It's been a long while since I've been there. Although I broke my leg pretty badly on Porcupine Rim, I don't remember much exposure there. I'd suggest Gemini Bridges, part of it is four wheel drive road and it's pretty cool when you get to the overlook. I remember doing Barlett wash a few times. Again, 4 wheel drive roads there, but the rock formation is cool to ride on. You can even go down the toilet bowl.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Hmmm are there two Mag 7's? When I went in 2019, we did a long day of not terribly hard riding, and then my two buddies i went with decided to do an after-dinner Mag 7 run. They'd never done it, and they said to meet them at the campground with the car at whatever time it was. They were hours late and it got dark and i was seriously worried about them. They finally made it to the car and said it was the sketchiest, hardest ride they've done, and they are very seasoned riders. They said a bunch of the technical sections were un-ridable and they had to walk their bikes a ton.

Now that im writing this, maybe it was one of the connecting trails to Mag7 that they did which had the super technical stuff in it. I obviously didnt do it, so I cant recommend it.

OP: I will say that the "whole enchilada" was a lot of fun! But not for a pre-teen. It isnt as techie as some other trails there, but there was definitely a lot of sketchy/dangerous sections. Also its an all day thing. We went in May and the top of the mountain still had a ton of snow, so we got shuttled up only most of the way.
I think Portal is the trail you are referencing.

I think that if you ride it as the Magnificent 7, then portions are crazy, if not there are lots of really nice connector trails and service roads to ride.

Best sign we saw on the trip was was at the start of the Poison Mesa / Portal section which said "This area is remote, if you don't have a plan, plan to turn around" Wish we had listened, thinking that 40km at Moab was the same as 40Km of east coast rides lead to a 4 hr slog up and down slickrock. One other thing I learned that day, if someone in the middle of nowhere offers you a sandwich and water, and they don't seem too sketchy take it, you may need it later.