Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 05:07 PM

I rented a Chrysler Pacifica recently. Was not impressed with the gas mileage (21 mpg) and the Apple Carplay crashed several times so had to plug my phone in using the USB cable.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:23 PM
VAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
Surprised that none of the mini van manufacturers have not announced an all electric at this point. Though that the mini van size would lend itself to an ideal platform for the battery pack.
One of my good friends just bought the e-mercedes "suv" the EQS 450.
Last weekend I drove it and it feels very minivanish to me and looks like one too.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
One of my good friends just bought the e-mercedes "suv" the EQS 450.
Last weekend I drove it and it feels very minivanish to me and looks like one too.

Only one (potentially) small problem.
105->136
K.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:58 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Only one (potentially) small problem.
105->136
K.
still amazes me that people buy these types of cars new.. wait a couple years and buy it used for probably almost 60% of new.. I mean, I'm glad people do buy them new I guess, so they'll be used ones..

maybe it's cause I don't run in those circles, but $100k+ for a car is just crazy to me.. I felt bad dropping almost $40k (OTD) in Oct.. would have liked a 4Runner, just couldn't justify the $50-60k..
Old 04-02-2024, 07:01 PM
Administrator

The thing about a big old benz like that is it's just throwing money against the wall for a status symbol. It's never going to be a cool car. It's a family hauler. Just get an Odyssey.

I love my Odyssey.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:06 PM

Most are leased. By individuals or corporations. Who can use the tax credit (probably no tax credit on that one). For whom a lease cost on an expensive car is meaningless. I agree.....still nuts.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I rented a Chrysler Pacifica recently. Was not impressed with the gas mileage (21 mpg) and the Apple Carplay crashed several times so had to plug my phone in using the USB cable.
That it’s interesting. I got 29ish mpg on the highway, Michigan to Florida, 75-80 mph, and also bumper to bumper gridlock, thanks Atlanta. Of course the car play stopped working for drive through Atlanta.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:23 AM

We LOVE our Pacifica Hybrid. 30mpg easily on the highway even loaded down with 4 bikes on the hitch. Mostly drive on electric around town. It's quiet, comfortable, looks good inside and out with the blacked-out package (for a minivan!)

We had some of the inevitable troubles - it's a Chrysler after all, but we honestly can't think of another vehicle we'd replace it with.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
That it’s interesting. I got 29ish mpg on the highway, Michigan to Florida, 75-80 mph, and also bumper to bumper gridlock, thanks Atlanta. Of course the car play stopped working for drive through Atlanta.
The EPA rating is 19 city, 28 highway. My driving was mixed. I was going by the mpg indicator on the dash. I expected something more than 21 mpg.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The EPA rating is 19 city, 28 highway. My driving was mixed. I was going by the mpg indicator on the dash. I expected something more than 21 mpg.
I think you're quoting the V-6 and the rest of us are talking PHEV.

The PHEV destroys those numbers. Even with the battery dead it is rated 30mpg combined and rated 82mpg equivalent in mixed driving if you can charge the battery overnight.

The PHEV is 0.5 seconds slower to 60 than the 287hp V-6 version, seems like a no-brainer.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I think I saw about 25 mixed. So probably had I driven more it would have continued to drop. That was a week of driving around Orlando and over to the ocean once.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:41 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Side notes:

Been doing minivans for a while.

Have big dog and last 6-7 years I quit riding [bike] from my house due to eliminating riding amongst txting drivers and cars with home theater size screens on their dashes.

I side load my one road bike across and lash to rear of seats. I also have a few hitch racks, mostly for winter wet use to keep mess out of interior. Or when we need interior space for what ever reasons.

Current van 2018 Sedona LX. 21ish around town and pops 28s on the highway under sane speeds.

Previous van was 2020 Pacifica PHEV. I removed the middle seats day on, put them back in 29 month later when I sold it to Carmax. This van was crazy good on gas. 43-3 worst winter, and 55-59 summer.
I do a lot of short trips so EV side was particularly good for high numbers. Had gone 65/70 days twice without hearing the ICE motor start.

Problem; PHEV are $55-60k. But federal tax credit 7500 I thing now. I paid cash $20k for the used KIA Cert van. [10yr/100k driveline coverage] getting rid of last 10k of car loan on Pacifica same time.

But to have a 5k lb van get this kind of MPG is fantastic to me. Not to mention having a use carbon footprint of a Honda Fit, if that checks a box for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I LOVE my Transit Connect. Drives amazing. I have driven a few minivans and they drive more like pickup trucks.
Not picking on anyone's choices. I in fact found the exact opposite, go figure. I test drove a Connect passenger variety in my quests for a replacement for 1996 5 SPD clutch Voyager 2015ish. I found these rode pretty hard, and opted for a more touring car like ride the Lux minivans with longer wheelbase give.

It may come down to how the seats fold, configure and/or remove. The Pacifica all disappear into the floor in 30 seconds. That's easy converting for uses. Note: the PHEV has the HV battery where the middle would stow, so those remove instead of stow.

After a few SUVs, I appreciated the low low floor deck height of the mini vans. Plop stuff in instead of lifting up and in...

Last edited by robt57; 04-03-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:42 PM
cnighbor2

for great reviews

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/

Last edited by cnighbor1; 04-03-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
meh, van, shman...

I can get two road bikes in my RSX hatch with no problem. drop the front wheels, throw a tarp between the bikes and it's good to go.
Oh man, I hauled so much crap in my old RSX. That hatch area was cavernous.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:09 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
Oh man, I hauled so much crap in my old RSX. That hatch area was cavernous.
The only downside I've found with my '24 Integra compared to my '97 Integra is that the '24 is more of a fastback, so the roof line comes down earlier. (but given the handling and the HP improvements, yeah, I can live with it...)

You can sort of see it here, but it's only picture I've had a chance to take.