Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2023, 10:19 AM

Mini-Van tests

The latest Car and Driver issue compares several family-friendly mini-vans and it provides a nice over-view of some popular choices. There was no specific comment about loading bicycles but I think room for bikes is understood in these vehicles.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The latest Car and Driver issue compares several family-friendly mini-vans and it provides a nice over-view of some popular choices. There was no specific comment about loading bicycles but I think room for bikes is understood in these vehicles.
We have a 2010 Toyota Sienna, no problem putting bikes inside.
I can fit our tandem in with both wheels on with one of the middle seats removed.
Just wish it had more places to put straps on the side walls.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:41 AM
n - 1

Yes, I think that’s just assumed given the cavernous space inside. We had a Sienna and I’ve transported many bikes inside. No need for a rack.

I do like the Pacifica with the stow and go middle seats. If I were to get another minivan, that’s probably the one I’d get.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:55 AM

Not a minivan, but the Honda Element was the best bike hauler I've ever owned and I've owned several trucks.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Yes, I think that’s just assumed given the cavernous space inside. We had a Sienna and I’ve transported many bikes inside. No need for a rack.

I do like the Pacifica with the stow and go middle seats. If I were to get another minivan, that’s probably the one I’d get.
you would be hard pressed to get me into a Chrysler/Dodge product.. we have a Dodge Caravan (2019 I think) for our commute van and, at just under 70k, it is starting to fall apart pretty fast.. the sliding doors work sometimes.. we already had some major issues with the coil packs, etc.. the rear wiper stopped working one day.. I can't imagine this vehicle at 140k.. we put a lot of miles on it since it's a commute vehicle from Petaluma to Alameda every week day, but still..
Old 04-18-2023, 11:26 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminVA View Post
Not a minivan, but the Honda Element was the best bike hauler I've ever owned and I've owned several trucks.
I agree it sure looked like it.. we almost got a used one, but the interior was much less than impressive.. the seats were already broken down/cracked and it was a bit too utilitarian for us (I know it was designed like that, but still..)

But it would be awesome for some kid's first car for sure!
Old 04-18-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
you would be hard pressed to get me into a Chrysler/Dodge product.. we have a Dodge Caravan (2019 I think) for our commute van and, at just under 70k, it is starting to fall apart pretty fast.. the sliding doors work sometimes.. we already had some major issues with the coil packs, etc.. the rear wiper stopped working one day.. I can't imagine this vehicle at 140k.. we put a lot of miles on it since it's a commute vehicle from Petaluma to Alameda every week day, but still..
Interesting, not questioning your experience at all, but I had a '95 that I sold at 175k after the A/C went out (no other issues). Bought an '01 that I traded in at 187k in '20 (no issues) for a '20 Pacifica that is wonderful.

I did test the Odyssey, Sienna and Kia and felt all three had better build quality and materials, but the Pacifica had much better ergonomics, ample room for my 6' 5" self and by far the most comfortable seats. For those reasons alone it was a no brainer for me.

My wife and I can fit our 62 x 58 and 62 x 62 road bikes inside fastened to a board with fork mount. We've had as many as four road bikes inside (#3 & 4 were smaller and only 3 people) and three MTB's using this same fork mount system.

Last edited by donevwil; 04-18-2023 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:42 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Interesting, not questioning your experience at all, but I had a '95 that I sold at 175k after the A/C went out (no other issues). Bought an '01 that I traded in at 187k in '20 (no issues) for a '20 Pacifica that is wonderful.

I did test the Odyssey, Sienna and Kia and felt all three had better build quality and materials, but the Pacifica had much better ergonomics, ample room for my 6' 5" self and by far the most comfortable seats. For those reasons alone it was a no brainer for me.

... and I can fit my 62 x 62 and my wife's 62 x 58 inside with only the front wheels removed.
ours could just be that we drive the heck out of it and the doors, etc may get more use than the typical 70k mile vehicle.. we do have regular service done on it since we have to (it's an Enterprise Commute lease and the service is included)

Glad you had/have a better experience.. and you can't beat mini-van for utility, 100% agree with that?
Old 04-18-2023, 04:42 PM

I suppose the Ford Transit Connect is not considered a “mini van” in the traditional sense, and it may have been discontinued, not sure…. But, it is a fantastic van for me, serving as a camping van and bike hauler…

I carry them in the van at times, but I shared that photo in a different thread, and apparently I cannot share it twice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57B64666-A7BE-40EC-9AF6-54F712F1B716.jpg (152.7 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg 8D3C9149-C257-42C2-96C2-7E8D794BFA4E.jpg (133.7 KB, 454 views)
Old 04-18-2023, 05:58 PM

meh, van, shman...

I can get two road bikes in my RSX hatch with no problem. drop the front wheels, throw a tarp between the bikes and it's good to go.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
My former wife’s 2012 Chrysler Town & Country is running strong at 140K miles. Every system works, no check engine lights or inoperative features. Just normal maintenance & repair parts. If it weren’t for corrosion from salty upstate NY roads, she would keep it indefinitely.

Greg
Old 04-18-2023, 06:37 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I shared that photo in a different thread, and apparently I cannot share it twice.
Just link to the already posted image, and it should show up just fine.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:51 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
My former wife’s 2012 Chrysler Town & Country is running strong at 140K miles. Every system works, no check engine lights or inoperative features. Just normal maintenance & repair parts. If it weren’t for corrosion from salty upstate NY roads, she would keep it indefinitely.

Greg
good to hear.. but, from my experience, I won't be buying a Chrysler product anytime soon.. I have the same issues with GM based on a '99 Blazer I had, it was a complete piece of crap and steered me away from GM products for the foreseeable future (Corvettes aside possibly)..

just too many other options out there that I haven't had/seen issues with.. I know all brands have issues, but you usually go with what you've experienced..
Old 04-18-2023, 06:58 PM
n - 1

Quote:
My neighbor growing up had a 1988 Caravan. I often rode with them to go to school and gone on many Boy Scout camping trips. I think they finally sold it 15 years later for a new Caravan. It had something like 250k miles and still running well.

It’s always a risk buying a mass produced product with a million moving parts. Toyota and Honda’s I’ve owned haven’t been perfect, either

Old 04-18-2023, 07:01 PM
Administrator

We have three kids and a fairly active lifestyle. I cant imagine a better vehicle than a minivan. hauls bikes and all sorts of other sports equipment without complaint. Even with 2WD, the heavy weight and FWD means it goes well through snow and dirt, unless you really need ground clearance, which we shouldnt be on in a van anyway.

A few years ago we were in CA and on a whim rented a Suburban XL, which I think is the largest SUV you can get, and for convenience and everyday livability, was a downgrade compared to a van.

The other option would be a full sized van, but they dont drive nearly as well for daily driving as a minivan, which drive very similarly to a regular sedan IMO.

Our ODY is getting a little worn out these days, but I've got no complaints and cant imagine driving any other type of vehicle for the family-mobile.