Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 02:40 PM

New Lynskey GR 400

Saw this today, haven’t really had time to look at the specs, other than the price.

https://lynskeyperformance.com/gr400...rame-external/
Old 04-05-2024, 02:49 PM
Meh

I'll probably be in the minority here, but this looks like a downgrade, other than the 5mm of increased clearance for 700c tires.

- Removed the fender mounts - Why?!
- Dropped seat stays - I don't believe this provides the claimed benefit, and I really don't like the look. Also, why would I want the rear end to be "ultra stiff?"
- Shorter chainstays - No, I'd rather have longer ones, actually.

I was always kind of tempted by the Lynskey GR. Not anymore.

Last edited by EB; 04-05-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:56 PM

You better like you some looong trail and wheel flop with that 70.5 degree HTA and only 45mm of rake. That's gonna be north of 70mm of trail. I have GR300 with that geometry and it handles like a Schwinn Varsity.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:59 PM

I do like the shortened CS while increasing tire clearance to 50 mm. I feel bikes with longer CS turn like a "semi" compared to pure road bike and their 405 mm CS length. But yes, I agree, longer CS gives you more stability as you are descending fast on gravel roads.

Despise the look of these dropped seat stays. I thought this fad would fade. But it hasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I'll probably be in the minority here, but this looks like a downgrade, other than the 5mm of increased clearance for 700c tires.

- Dropped seat stays - I don't believe this provides the claimed benefit, and I really don't like the look. Also, why would I want the rear end to be "ultra stiff?"

Old 04-05-2024, 03:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
You better like you some looong trail and wheel flop with that 70.5 degree HTA and only 45mm of rake. That's gonna be north of 70mm of trail. I have GR300 with that geometry and it handles like a Schwinn Varsity.
I have a Ritchey Outback v2 (71 HA, 50mm fork rake, 68mm bb drop) with a bit over 70mm of trail on big 700c tires. It does not handle like a Schwinn Varsity. And it has notably long chainstays. :shrug:
Old 04-05-2024, 03:39 PM

I had a GR300 and could never dial in the fit. Some of the angles and tube lengths don’t make sense to me.

I would imagine we all got that email today.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I have a Ritchey Outback v2 (71 HA, 50mm fork rake, 68mm bb drop) with a bit over 70mm of trail on big 700c tires. It does not handle like a Schwinn Varsity. And it has notably long chainstays. :shrug:
With 700x38s your bike has less than 70mm of trail. But, that said, some people aren't bothered by long trail and wheel flop. Sounds like you got the right bike for you.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 04-05-2024 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:

It’s definitely sportier/racier with shorter, stiffer chainstays. I prefer this as I’m never going to bikepack or use fenders, and focus on faster paced races/gravel grinders that are rarely longer than 75 miles in length. I currently ride a GR Race that Lynskey briefly made and looks somewhat similar. https://off.road.cc/content/news/lyn...avel-bike-4190. I don’t ever need to carry anything more than a small frame pack, and use Ass-saver type fenders when it’s wet. The largest tire I can fit is a 45mm on 700c rims, and I have to use 650b rims to use anything wider. I’d really like the option of using 700x50c tires.

As to the stiffer rear triangle, if you are using fat tires inflated properly, you will have as much compliance as you would want/need. I’d think a shorter, stiffer back end is preferable on gravel, where you frequently have to climb steep grades, and often have to be out of the saddle.

This looks like a nice bike. I like it.

Last edited by djg21; 04-05-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
In fairness to how the bike will actually handle, both of the Enve forks they have listed as options for the bike have rakes higher than 45 mm.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:37 PM

Litespeed is having a pretty good sale.

Waitia frameset for 1300
Flint gravel 1750

Etc. Etc.

https://litespeed.com/collections/bikes-on-sale