Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 09:54 AM

Did my first “new” chain last night in the Silca melter with strip-chip and Super Secret beads.. took around 30-40min w the heat and cool cycle. I’m all-in from here.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:17 PM

The "to be determined" article is just an abbreviated rehash of the thorough explanation by SILCA and Zero Friction Cycling, adding the odd/unnecessary/mistaken:

"Every once in a while, you'll want to clean your chain. Follow the Gatorade bottle method with a simple degreaser, rinse with water and then use a dip in alcohol or acetone to evaporate any moisture. From here you can drip wax or melt wax".

---When simple boiling water would BETTER and simpler. Makes. No. Sense.

This whole concept is an ongoing struggle for some but I can't tear myself away from it all. Yes, I have a problem.

1) Read the silca/ZFC stuff
1.5) Clean your chain/rings/cogs.
2) Get a *pot* for the stove top or a slow cooker if you must do it slowly.
3) Add Silca pellets. Or add molten speed wax. Or add paraffin and tungsten disulfide if you want your chain pussed out while you save money and you don't want to ad PTFE to the environs.
4) Rotate multiple chains for convenience AND longevity of drivetrain.
5) Use Wipperman Connex links. They are the best. Don't waste our time arguing. Unless you ride 12 speed, which are apparently not available.

Last edited by bshell; 04-04-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
We're gonna need to see a picture.
I can't figure out how "wire hanger" --- which is usually sort of triangular in my experience --- yields "rectangle"
Thanks.
LOL. You're right about the hanger being a triangle. The folded chain that hangs from the bottom of the hanger is the part that looks like a rectangle. The rectangle, when laid flat, fits into my tiny slow cooker.

Also, the Silca strip-chip is game changing. Stripping a new chain is by far the worst part of waxing. It's a mess. The chemicals aren't inexpensive in CA and need special disposal.