Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Suggestions - tubeless tape

It’s time to re-tape some wheels. I’ve always used Stan’s but never been real happy with it.

What tape are you using that you’re happy with? Are any made that have some tackiness to ‘em?

Not looking for home brew set-ups like gorilla tape. I don’t want to be pondering the state of my tubeless set-up bombing down a gravel descent at speed.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Stan's on all my wheels. Even use it as rim tape on my non-tubeless wheels. I tried Gorilla tape and it worked but it's thicker and imo, made mounting the tire harder.

I spend a lot of time cleaning my rims with alcohol and rags before replacing tape. The only issues I had with Stan's is when I didn't clean well enough or used the wrong width.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:45 AM

My favorite tape is Tesa Tape. I found it on Ebay. Jerry from Next Wheels (forum sponsor) turned me on to this stuff after I complained about Stans. Excellent stuff!
Old 07-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Either 3m or Scotch brand from ebay..LOTS cheaper than the bike branded stuff and essentially, the same thing.

like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21-mm-Tubel...ss!80304!US!-1
Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
It’s time to re-tape some wheels. I’ve always used Stan’s but never been real happy with it.

What tape are you using that you’re happy with? Are any made that have some tackiness to ‘em?

Not looking for home brew set-ups like gorilla tape. I don’t want to be pondering the state of my tubeless set-up bombing down a gravel descent at speed.
What don't you like about the tape? I tried several including Pacenti, Gorilla tape, and E thirteen. I keep coming back to Stan's.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Oops. Didn't read far enough into your post. GT is my go to. You do you.

Andy in Houston
Old 07-23-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
What don't you like about the tape? I tried several including Pacenti, Gorilla tape, and E thirteen. I keep coming back to Stan's.
I hate to say it but I'm in the same camp as Tony. There might be better options out there but Stans is the best I've tried. That blue 3m tape was a total bust for my road tubeless setup.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:24 PM

I use the blue 3M stuff (some labeled Pacenti or Velocity) and have used the Orange Seal wide stuff for my i45 rim. But, Stan's is a touch thicker and has always worked great for me tubeless or not. Add me to the chorus of head-scratchers who are curious what about Stan's doesn't pass muster with you.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:28 PM

the Giant Tubeless tape is the best that ive used so far
Old 07-23-2019, 01:29 PM

I kinda like the bontrager branded tape, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and Stans apart from color.

I also like Gorilla Tape too, as long as its thickness doesn't make tire inflation challenging. It seems to lay down in the channel without bubbling easier than some of the purposed tapes.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:36 PM

i've only used those two, stans and gorilla. no complaints with either because any problems i've had were on my end. either didn't clean the surface well or i bungled the valve hole. once on, they've never failed on me.
tho if on a gravel bike (like 32-40 ish tires) i could see how gorilla tape could make mounting tougher.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:57 PM

I don’t like the way Stan’s bubbles, not always easy to lay flat, and I’ve find it easy to push away from the bead when mounting tight fitting tires unless REALLY careful. It has zero tackiness so it’s not that easy to get started and slides around. Plus the meticulous cleaning.

It’s the only tape I’ve used for maybe 10 years and countless set-ups. Since it hasn’t change I figured for sure someone else has improved on it.

Most of the time setting-up is straight forward but when it’s not, it’s a PIA that I dread tackling. And when it is a PIA, always seems to be the tape.

So Stan’s still the best from the biggest majority here seems.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:16 PM

All the tubeless tape is the same stuff - variations of "strapping tape"

https://www.tesa.com/en/industry/tesa-4289.html

3M and others make similar flavors. Buy based on thickness and layers you require for the pressure you're running.

The key to avoiding bubbles is strettttttttttttching the tape. If you ain't sore at the end, you probably didn't stretch enough.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I don’t like the way Stan’s bubbles, not always easy to lay flat, and I’ve find it easy to push away from the bead when mounting tight fitting tires unless REALLY careful. It has zero tackiness so it’s not that easy to get started and slides around. Plus the meticulous cleaning.

It’s the only tape I’ve used for maybe 10 years and countless set-ups. Since it hasn’t change I figured for sure someone else has improved on it.

Most of the time setting-up is straight forward but when it’s not, it’s a PIA that I dread tackling. And when it is a PIA, always seems to be the tape.

So Stan’s still the best from the biggest majority here seems.
you may want to post up at mtbr. those guys have tried everything under the sun. tho i suspect dem is right in that they're all pretty similar.
from my experience, the big variable as far as usability is actually the width. depending on the rim bed and the center contour thing, the tape doesn't always sit the way i like. offset spoke holes sometimes lead to a wavy back and forth with the tape if i'm feeling too lazy to get a bigger size. which is why gorilla is great because you can just rip in whatever width you want.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:31 PM

+1 on the Gorilla tape. As stated you can easily get the width you want and it sticks well in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk