Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I can relate to a lot of what you wrote.

I am typically not the strongest rider in my group, although most people I rode with in my group rides would interpret or think so. They were mistaken for the most part.

But I am the "smartest"....of that I am certain.

why are you forcing yourself into the red zone if you are already ahead of everybody on the hill? Why don't you ease off a bit and save some energy for later on?

Every time you hit a hill, do you just simply rush to the front and sprint all out?

Why don't you sit behind a bit on a couple of guys in the group that you know are consistently strong climbers and use them as "launch pads" to blast off 3/4 way up the top and leave them in the dust, save yourself some energy while still maintaining your KOM reputation?

I think you got the fitness, you got to work on your smarts and up your mental game.
I'd say I'm pushing 90% effort on the hills mentioned. I'm always trying to beat my strava PRs so I realize I'll probably pay for it at the top. I think I'll have to plan for two different ride types: those where I'm PR seeking in the group vs just hanging in and going with the flow, but still pushing on hills, just not to the threshold.