Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 12:07 PM

I bought a R230 frame used about 4 years ago and have been extremely pleased. I've put close to 20,000 miles on it and it's still the best frame I've owned. I've had all materials for gravel, aluminum, carbon and currently steel. If I'm ever in the market for another bike, road or gravel, Lynskey will be at the top of the list for consideration.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:48 PM

I hummed and hawed for ages over the GR270 and GRPro. The builds look super solid now with lots of options for all sorts of budgets. I ended up going with a different builder but still keep a pretty close eye on those sales just because of the price.

Really look at those geo charts before you pull the trigger though. Some of their size recommendations for my height would have put me on a longer top tube than I felt comfortable with without swinging a leg over.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Hi Paceliners - thanks for all your advice.
Chris
Old 07-26-2019, 09:27 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpea View Post
I hummed and hawed for ages over the GR270 and GRPro. The builds look super solid now with lots of options for all sorts of budgets. I ended up going with a different builder but still keep a pretty close eye on those sales just because of the price.

Really look at those geo charts before you pull the trigger though. Some of their size recommendations for my height would have put me on a longer top tube than I felt comfortable with without swinging a leg over.
Which frame did you end up with?

I've got to say, that GR270, which comes with a carbon fork, headset and Ti seatpost. All for $1,450. That's pretty enticing!

https://lynskeyperformance.com/2019-...with-seatpost/

That said, I don't know why I am not that enthused about this brand. Probably the annoying sales tactic I encountered a few years ago.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Does (or did) Lynskey ever make a rim-brake gravel bike?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
The 2010 Cooper CX was rim brake. After that they went disc
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Which frame did you end up with?

I've got to say, that GR270, which comes with a carbon fork, headset and Ti seatpost. All for $1,450. That's pretty enticing!

https://lynskeyperformance.com/2019-...with-seatpost/

That said, I don't know why I am not that enthused about this brand. Probably the annoying sales tactic I encountered a few years ago.
I ended up with a Moots but only because I stumbled upon a NOS frame and got what I felt like was a pretty good deal.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Why yes, my Litespeed Appalachian.

IMG_0049r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 07-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I've looked at their website a couple times in the last few months looking for a frame built around mid reach calipers for ~35mm tires and haven't seen it.

I think they used to have some touring models with canti studs.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:03 AM

I've had my GR260 for 13 months and have put about 8,000+ miles on it in that time.

They gave me a great deal and I have no complaints.

SPP
Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM

Hello all - thanks for all of your input. Pulled the trigger last night and ordered the GR270 complete with 2x11 Ultegra and Stan's wheels. With their finish upgrade and 15% special discount for the TDF, a great bike for the price. Delivery is expected ~8/20, so expect a report from this gravel novice.
Safe riding,
Chris
Old 07-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I've had my GR260 for 13 months and have put about 8,000+ miles on it in that time.

They gave me a great deal and I have no complaints.

SPP
You should be a paid brand-rep for them - or at least be getting some schwagg...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_davis View Post
Hello all - thanks for all of your input. Pulled the trigger last night and ordered the GR270 complete with 2x11 Ultegra and Stan's wheels. With their finish upgrade and 15% special discount for the TDF, a great bike for the price. Delivery is expected ~8/20, so expect a report from this gravel novice.
Safe riding,
Chris
Nice! Great deal and well thought out. I’ve come around to their lower BB spec after thinking abt it for a few weeks.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:50 PM

Congrats. Post a review once received. On the fence shopping for a gravel bike....
Old 07-29-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I'm not sure what that means, or if it's even relevant. I don't think that Lynskey pretends to be anything other than it is. It's not Moots, or Firefly, or No.22. That's not a bad thing at all. There is a place for them in the market.
A few years back Lynskey started "dumping" frames on eBay for extremely cheap, and pretty much crashed the used ti market. Why buy a used frame when you can buy a new one with a warranty for about the same price? I picked up my first ti frame back then, taking advantage of the significant drop in price on a frame that had been selling for a few hundred six months before. Lynskey dumping on eBay at the time may have been a marketing move to get more of their bikes out there (brand visibility), a way to keep employees productive during a slow time, an inventory-reduction strategy, or some other reason.

Then I bought an Urbano frameset 2 years ago, which has been languishing in a semi-built state ever since. I just haven't been able to muster the enthusiasm to complete it, mostly because I'm not really a gravel rider and I'm afraid I might want to enter another 'cross race. It's not the bike- it's me. The Urbano will never be a go-to ride for me, but may fill a niche in the quiver with its disc brakes and clearance for wider tires.

At the moment, I have three Moots in addition to the Lynskey, plus one aluminum, one steel, and four carbon bikes. The steel and aluminum get the most use simply because they're dedicated to the trainer (comes with the job and the environment), but when I'm on pavement I grab a Moots. My RSL has taken over as my crit bike, with my Compacts being my everyday rides. They just make me smile. It's a geometry/ride quality thing. Nothing I've tried has fit me (and my finicky nature) quite the same.

It's a great time to be in the market for a rim brake ti bike, and a crappy time to be selling one. I've been able to try bikes that were completely out of my financial means because of this fact, but I've had to stop myself several times because flipping the bikes (even at a decent loss) is an issue. Plus, I have bikes that I'm absolutely in love with and a stable of others that I feel guilty for not riding (but won't get rid of). N+1 is no longer a thing for me.

Lynskey? I think they make a pretty solid bike. I've tried several of their stock road offerings and either found them typical ti construction (noodle) or otherwise not completely to my liking in terms of stiffness and geometry (finicky, remember?). To be fair, I think they could put together a custom frame for me that would do the trick, but the cost would put it above what I'm willing to pay at the moment. There are few brands (non-open mold or sticker/paint marques) out there I would trash. Each has their own selling points, and it's really up to the buyer to decide what works for them.