Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 05:30 AM

Update 2 --Post Spinal Surgery,

On the 15th had my L3 fused XLIF technique which didn't require rods and screws. So now the clock ticks when I can't do anything but walk. No lifting 5lbs or more. Think dead of summer was actually good time to do it, don't really care these few days of total heat not getting out. Need to lose 10lbs but was advised don't worry about that now, get protein/nutrition to rebuild those bones.

Just dying to find out if my current fit will need any/much modification...

So watch wife and friends go out and cruise while I read bike forums
--------------------------------
Update, surgery went well, pain/stiffness sucks but much easier than posterior fusion. I was cleared to ride 3 weeks post op, so rode last week 5-6 miles each time on flat roads. Actually cleared to do whatever I want based on my pain. Kayaking, my goal is out of question for a while. Goal right now is 10miles, good PT sessions and getting off of Tylenol. Can't take Advil for up to 6 mos.
Not riding/exercising has affected my upper back/neck more. Wish I had prepared a bike with lower drop. Making the change will require new cabling, and back doesn't feel like working on a bike. Shop wait time is 2 weeks, think I will grime it out.

Last edited by buddybikes; 08-12-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM

Be smarter than I was...

I didn't have the scope of work that you did....discectomy and laminectomy...but I didn't listen and ended up with a high-pressure spinal leak and a second surgery almost immediately after the first. And with THAT one, it was STRICT bed-rest ~ where I even had to stay flat for 48 hours to try to get the collagen-patch to bond correctly to stop the leak.

So avoid temptation
Old 07-19-2019, 06:30 AM
Administrator

hang in there.

i'd look into some kind of new hobby or skill. learn a new language maybe? tie fly fishing flies? become dominant at online chess competitions? find something to engage and challenge you that doesnt require physical aspect.

hope everything turns out for the best and you get back on the bike strongly and comfortably once you heal up!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Start shopping for your new Speedo. You'll need it for your rehab.

You'll learn to "love the smell of chlorine in the morning". It smells like victory !
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 PM

>>Start shopping for your new Speedo. You'll need it for your rehab.

More like baggy trunks for me with shirt if I can to not show my gut expansion
Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
I need you cool.

Do you have an Xbox?

Video games are a tremendous waste of time....but kind of fun.

Check out "Red Dead Redemption 2"....doesn't take much hand/eye skill....not so much a "shoot 'em up" games as much as wandering around finding treasure, food, animals, etc.

My son got it for Xmas last year...watched him play and it looked kind of fun. It is.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Ari W

I was fused at l5-s1, best thing that happened was having a great Pt. She brought me back to life after 6-8 weeks in the corset. Build slowly and take advantage of PT, I avoided injury during recovery, thankfully.

Good luck, I have been pain free for years now with only a minimal change in position on the bike

Ari
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Well, I am back working (I work from home) so keeping kind of busy, don't want to show I am fully back. Off those pain killers after day 5 days. Due to where they went in and cut through oblique area, standing straight is bit difficult and corsets/brace doesn't feel to good on soft tissue. Hope to walk about 1 mile today. One thing they warned down line was my ability to get on bike seat (throw leg over seat) but I am 95% sure this is a non issue, "could" probably get on my bike now if it were "legal" by the doc.

The XLIF procedure for middle back, appears, so far to be lot easier than posterior approach. Hoping all fuses that is all that matters.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Well, I am back working (I work from home) so keeping kind of busy, don't want to show I am fully back. Off those pain killers after day 5 days. Due to where they went in and cut through oblique area, standing straight is bit difficult and corsets/brace doesn't feel to good on soft tissue. Hope to walk about 1 mile today. One thing they warned down line was my ability to get on bike seat (throw leg over seat) but I am 95% sure this is a non issue, "could" probably get on my bike now if it were "legal" by the doc.

The XLIF procedure for middle back, appears, so far to be lot easier than posterior approach. Hoping all fuses that is all that matters.
Don't know what state you live in but you might want to try CBD.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Ari W

My doc encouraged walking almost right away, activity that would get you moving, but maintain posture, should promote your recovery. I was a LOT better about 10 days out, no pain meds, moving around well, etc...

Ari
Old 07-22-2019, 01:36 PM

After my discectomy, I spent about 36 hours just recovering from the surgery/anesthesia before doing more than walking around the house. On the third day, I made a goal to walk an hour a day but found that walking on my neighborhood streets was uncomfortable due to the crown of the pavement. I ended up going to an area park in the afternoons to walk on a fairly flat path and it was so much better. The first few days I did a mile in an hour. By the fourth week, I was getting four miles.

I'll likely have a laminectomy this fall at some point for stenosis.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Picshooter

I can sympathize. I had 6 weeks in a cervical collar 24/7 after being crashed crashed by a car.
I did not want to lose fitness or gain weight. After two weeks I was allowed to go for walks (always in the collar.) I tried different routes out of the front door, and after a few weeks settled on a 7 mile route.
I listen to podcasts or sometimes enjoy the silence.
I also found I like escaping the Florida heat by walking really early. I like the peacefulness of early morning darkness too. I still walk once or twice a week, more if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Good luck to you.Heal well.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:01 PM

CBD...please...

Walking - trying to get off of calls here to grab my hiking sticks and walk around the block!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Update day 13. Surgery not fun, one reason they usually beef people up with some steroids to reduce pain/inflammation, I got none due to my diabetes. Surgery prep was 1 hour and surgery itself 1 hour. In hospital for 2 days. Now I am walking about 1 - 1.5 miles a day split up, finally passed on using the walking sticks. Can't pick up more than 5 lbs, and can't walk the dogs. XLIF is totally different, going in from the side, I have zero pain in my spine...weird... but radiating pain from side down into my groin/leg kind of stinks. Sciatica not gone, just bit different. Put my leg over my firefly and wanted so bad to get out on it. Going to ride my daughters hybrid when doctor clears, probably on the 8th of Aug. Huge difference than posterior approach, hope it will work.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:36 PM

What's up with backs? How come you guys needing all these massive surgeries and how can I avoid them?