Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

According to a comment from one of her sisters, she suffered a concussion a few months ago and had not full recovered, suffering from some mental issues.

She also said she was feeling rather overwhelmed with everything she was involved and n.

I am sure we will learn more in the coming days.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Hold Out A Hand, Pull Someone In

Just read this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was..._QaQnZ6QCA24:0

About Kelly
"A graduate student at Stanford, Catlin was pursuing a degree in computational and mathematical engineering while training for track as a member of the national team and racing as a professional road cyclist."

From Jelly
“As athletes, we are all socially programmed to be stoic with our pain, to bear our burdens and not complain, even when such stoicism reaches the point of stupidity and those burdens begin to damage us. These are hard habits to break."

The signs are hidden sometimes but if you look hard enough you can see the pain. Just because the salmon is swimming hard against the current doesn't mean it isn't at the end if it's capacity to keep going against it.

Ask for help if you need it, it's not weakness, it'is to be human. Give help if you're asked for it and offer it freely if you even suspect there's a need for it. My heart goes out to all she left behind.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:00 PM

So sad, prayers and thoughts to her family.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:13 PM

The article also mentions that she attempted suicide back in January, and that she was getting support from friends and family. But sometimes that is just not enough.

I have never had such dark thoughts, but my PhD took me to the brink of depression and it is no joke. Sometimes the support doesn't really help either; the brain is interesting in how it works. I imagine a concussion didn't help the matters either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

Last edited by fa63; 03-10-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:15 PM

goddamn.
that's some other information for sure.
i've known other people, too, for whom a TBI has led to suicidal depression.
really difficult.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:49 AM

Self inflicted stress and unable to cope. It's our way of life that contributes to this. Being a success can be bad for your health. How sad.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:02 AM

I am not sure it is fair to call it "self inflicted stress". Societal/external pressure can bear down hard, even on those strongest of mind. And like the linked article mentioned, I am sure her concussion/TBI did not help either.

I agree that we as a society often place too much value on "success". Sometimes a best life is one that is lived simply, and we need to make ourselves happy before we can make others happy. Easier said than done, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
Self inflicted stress and unable to cope. It's our way of life that contributes to this. Being a success can be bad for your health. How sad.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:06 AM

My heart goes out to the family of Kelly having lost my brother this way. The questions they are asking will never fully be answered, at least in this life...……...
Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 AM

This is terribly sad -- my thoughts are with her family.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I am not sure it is fair to call it "self inflicted stress". Societal/external pressure can bear down hard, even on those strongest of mind. And like the linked article mentioned, I am sure her concussion/TBI did not help either.

I agree that we as a society often place too much value on "success". Sometimes a best life is one that is lived simply, and we need to make ourselves happy before we can make others happy. Easier said than done, of course...
while i wouldn't call it self inflicted either, one has to wonder how wise it is to be simultaneously enrolled in a difficult degree program at one of the most prestigious institutions while competing professionally as a cyclist. Each of the two is a full-time profession in its own rights.

My bet is that at any time, at least a quarter of the domestic students in math/science doctoral programs at the prestigious institutions are depressed. These institutions treat students as human resources, with the focus on the resource part. In more callous terms, it's an extraction and refining operation. The added stress from a professional job (while maintaining excellence on the track) is always going to be difficult.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
while i wouldn't call it self inflicted either, one has to wonder how wise it is to be simultaneously enrolled in a difficult degree program at one of the most prestigious institutions while competing professionally as a cyclist. Each of the two is a full-time profession in its own rights.

My bet is that at any time, at least a quarter of the domestic students in math/science doctoral programs at the prestigious institutions are depressed. These institutions treat students as human resources, with the focus on the resource part. In more callous terms, it's an extraction and refining operation. The added stress from a professional job (while maintaining excellence on the track) is always going to be difficult.
Calling into question the Life choices of someone who just killed themselves, with just the right amount of implied victim blaming.

Man, Paceline sometimes.

My condolences to her family and I'm sorry she didnt get the help she needed.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 AM

commenting that someone possibly made a commitment that is overwhelming does not detract from the tragedy of the situation. Saying the former does not imply that the departed deserved the latter. Each merits its own considerations.

For many (as in, at least 1/4), just being enrolled in a rigorous program is sufficient to induce mental disorder. Here was someone trying to excel in another job on top of that program.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Social Media and Mental Health.

I'm not sure it's applicable to this young cyclists death, but there's a growing body of evidence that social media takes a toll on mental health, particularly in young people. The pressure to present a carefully curated existence can be very alienating.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Such a tragedy for someone who was so bright and talented all around. I can't help but wonder how or if concussion played a roll in this. Just terrible.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Tired Member

So sorry to read this. It's a tragedy.
May she rest in peace, and may her family and loved ones find comfort.