Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 PM

Light Weight Touring Rig

Looking to get into light weight touring, thinking titanium disk brake frame/fork and 650 wheels and S&S Couplers so that I can pack it in my S&S case and take it on the plane.

I have been doing a lot of research and even had a custom frame quoted but just couldn't bring my self to spend $10K on a bike.

I know that weight of the bike isn't that important when I am on it, but it becomes very important when I am dragging it around in the S&S case, hauling it on and off trains etc. My current steel coupled bike in the box is very uncomfortable to drag around and get on and off trains with.

Looking for the collective wisdom from the Paceline on where I might be able to find a really good set up that doesn't weigh a ton thinking 25lbs or less if possible and would be less than $6K preferably closer to $4K if possible. I wont be doing heavy off road bike packing thinking on road with rear panniers and light weight front panniers or front bag. I am thinking of the Shimano XT 12 speed group so that I get a really wide range of gearing.

Appreciate any input
Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 PM

seems like weight on the bike is more important than weight in the case

Why would a few more pounds in the case make much difference? An S&S case is a tank no matter what. I would be more concerned about weight when I was dragging my butt up hill with bags on the back.

All that said, a good light bike will be funner to ride and slightly less drag when it's in the case.

Davis Carver will design what you want at a competitive price:

http://carverbikes.com/frames/custom-titanium/

Titanium travel couplings: +$480.00
Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand fungus View Post
Looking to get into light weight touring, thinking titanium disk brake frame/fork and 650 wheels and S&S Couplers so that I can pack it in my S&S case and take it on the plane.

I have been doing a lot of research and even had a custom frame quoted but just couldn't bring my self to spend $10K on a bike.

I know that weight of the bike isn't that important when I am on it, but it becomes very important when I am dragging it around in the S&S case, hauling it on and off trains etc. My current steel coupled bike in the box is very uncomfortable to drag around and get on and off trains with.

Looking for the collective wisdom from the Paceline on where I might be able to find a really good set up that doesn't weigh a ton thinking 25lbs or less if possible and would be less than $6K preferably closer to $4K if possible. I wont be doing heavy off road bike packing thinking on road with rear panniers and light weight front panniers or front bag. I am thinking of the Shimano XT 12 speed group so that I get a really wide range of gearing.

Appreciate any input

Depending on what size you need, Rob English has a barely used custom-for-someone-but-could-work-for-you folder with top notch components and carbon wheels.... Big discount from new. I was THIS close to buying it, but had another travel bike project in the pipeline. Email or call Rob.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:26 AM

I love my Habanero

I bought the cross frame with S&S couples for me and my wife. They are great frames.
I love the Ti strength and feel.
Brushed Finish
The frame disc brake mount is IS. There are adapters for IS to post, but I could not find IS to flat adapters.

http://www.habcycles.com/cross.html

Disc Brake Frame - $1045
The cross frame will fit gravel tires.
Tabs for a rack.
He will also do a custom frame for a little more.
Good guy to work with
Old 07-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Grabbing small gains from all areas is important. It takes thorough planning ahead of time. i.e. Knowing what you are likely to pack and how you can best and lightest carry that stuff. Think about integration of racks/bags/frame bags. Titanium certainly seems like a winner for frame material.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 AM
Administrator

what are you primarily going to be using it for?

does it really need to be disc? for an S&S travel bike, in my mind, discs add a level of complexity and weight that doesnt make sense to me, unless you think you really need them.

when i think lightweight touring bike, i think simple, reliable, fixable and easy to move around/pack. i would go with a Ti bike with mid reach caliper brakes. these type bikes can clear 38c tires, which for "touring" is the max i would ever want, unless you're ofroad.

i also agree that if you're travelling alone, have at least another bag, travelling with an S&S case can be a hassle. i do it often, and it's not really much fun. i also don't think saving a pound or two off the bike itself, especially for a touring rig, is going to matter much in the overall travel experience.

just a thought.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Thank you for the suggestions

two reasons for the disc for me. First was I was hoping to have the frame work for either 650 or 700 wheels. Second I live in the Seattle and this would be my commuting and wet weather bike as I don't like to ride my Serotta in the rain.

I had forgot about Habenaro and Carver looks like an affordable option for sure.

Thanks all
Old 07-27-2019, 12:58 PM

FWIW, my friend has:
60cm Carver All Road with couplers, CC 40 headset
Paragon flat mount sliders
Hylix carbon fork (fender, but no bottle cage mounts)
SRAM Force22 HydroR group, 50/34 rings and 11-32 1170 cassette
Bitex/DT XR361/Sapim CX-Sprint wheels, 40mm GravelKing tires (tubeless)
Fabric Scoop on Zipp Service Course post
Kalloy Uno Stealth stem with 46cm Ritchey Evomax bar

And it weighs something like 21.5#.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:40 PM

Thanks

21.5 lbs sound really good. I would expect more with what I am thinking. But in the right range.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:24 AM

I had my no22 drifter built up with fender and rack mounts. It weighed right around 19lbs with the stock Ultegra disc build and sounds like a good candidate for what you are looking for, but a complete with S&S couplers would likely be a bit over budget.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk