Old 05-28-2020, 12:03 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

No love for MUSA RWB?
Old 05-28-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Here's a blast from the past for you all:

I used to ride this back when I was a hipster
Sharp! My VERY first road bike was a Criterium in blue just like this one. I loved that thing. It just looked so aggressive with the huge downtube and massive rear stays. Plus, it rode really well. It made its way through a group of our friends over the years and everyone seemed to like the bike. In fact, it still may be sitting in one of their garages.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 05-28-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Be gone with you misplaced apostrophe!
Old 05-28-2020, 07:24 AM

For you Cannondale fans: I have this Cipollini Cannondale frame that I obtained a zillion years ago. Could be the first frame made for him; I had an email from Cannondale saying it was made for him but it's been lost in some moves. But would be easy enough for anyone to check as the BB engravings in the made for Cipollini frames are like this. Would be interested in trade for something interesting 57-58cm. I'm in NJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01313_k1nKBkXSV0l_600x450.jpg (8.7 KB, 270 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
For you Cannondale fans: I have this Cipollini Cannondale frame that I obtained a zillion years ago. Could be the first frame made for him; I had an email from Cannondale saying it was made for him but it's been lost in some moves. But would be easy enough for anyone to check as the BB engravings in the made for Cipollini frames are like this. Would be interested in trade for something interesting 57-58cm. I'm in NJ.
That is a very cool piece of cycling history! If I owned it, I would keep it as a collector's item. Just out of curiosity, do you have the measurements/geometry for the frame? I'm curious how the custom, team versions of the frames differed from the production versions available to the public. For a short time in the late 1990s/early 2000s (IIRC...), Cannondale offered a custom geometry program to the public. I recall seeing it on their website, but can't remember the details. Wish I had taken advantage of it, but I can't complain too much. The reason I hold on to my CAAD9 and CAAD10 is because their stock sizing fits me well.

Greg
Old 05-28-2020, 09:12 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
That's interesting as I have one and couldn't fit a 28 Continental on the front despite trying several different calipers - didn't have any black Shimano to try though. Ended up with 28 rear and 25 front.
If you are talking the GP4000 28s, that is more like a 31mm tire.
The GP5K TL 28s I just installed are more normal 28. The 28mm GP4Ks I have will only fit on my Team Domane Classics road bike wise. They are fatties on 19C rims.

Cannondale wise, my friend had an old CAAD 3 62CM, it would only fit a 23mm tire. I never could understand how it rode so nice for fat alloy pipes and 23s at pressure...

Last edited by robt57; 05-28-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:14 AM

TONS of great into on this site http://vintagecannondale.com almost all geo. https://vintagecannondale.com/catalog/
Old 05-28-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
That is a very cool piece of cycling history! If I owned it, I would keep it as a collector's item. Just out of curiosity, do you have the measurements/geometry for the frame? I'm curious how the custom, team versions of the frames differed from the production versions available to the public. For a short time in the late 1990s/early 2000s (IIRC...), Cannondale offered a custom geometry program to the public. I recall seeing it on their website, but can't remember the details. Wish I had taken advantage of it, but I can't complain too much. The reason I hold on to my CAAD9 and CAAD10 is because their stock sizing fits me well.

Greg
Also curious to see the geo to understand how that matches up with my Bianchi Liquigas Cipo frame. Let's see more pics too!!

edit: this appears to be your frame....would love to hear more!
http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspo...e-finally.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3994.jpg (151.5 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by KJMUNC; 05-28-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:26 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Both my CAAD9 and CAAD10 will fit true 28mm tires with no problem. My "everyday" tires are Continental GP4000S IIs that are labeled as 23mm, but measure at 26mm. For rougher rides, I have used 28mm Panaracer Gravel Kings that measure a true 28mm. The CAAD9 has more rear clearance at the brake bridge and the CAAD10 has more clearance to the fork blades, but both bikes take the 28s with no problem.

Greg
Not all of them and it depends on the brake. My Caad10 couldn't fit 28's with Campagnolo Record skeleton brakes. Not even close. Could barely fit 25's. I don't know if I got a bunk one with a rear brake bridge welded lower or something but, although I don't have the bike anymore I can provide pics of the abrasion rub on the brake.... nice and shiny! And that was trying with 27's!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Not all of them and it depends on the brake. My Caad10 couldn't fit 28's with Campagnolo Record skeleton brakes. Not even close. Could barely fit 25's. I don't know if I got a bunk one with a rear brake bridge welded lower or something but, although I don't have the bike anymore I can provide pics of the abrasion rub on the brake.... nice and shiny! And that was trying with 27's!
You're correct that not all CAAD10 frames and brakes allow 28s. CAAD10s appear to be similar to Merckx MX Leaders in this regard. Some have lower brake bridges that limit rear tire size. My 2012 CAAD10 has sufficient brake bridge clearance for 28s. I also should have specified the brakes (Ultegra 6800 on my CAAD9, Dura Ace 9000 on my CAAD10).

Greg
Old 05-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Also curious to see the geo to understand how that matches up with my Bianchi Liquigas Cipo frame. Let's see more pics too!!

edit: this appears to be your frame....would love to hear more!
http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspo...e-finally.html
Nice find!! This place always amazes me.

Yes need more backstory, cool frame !!!!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The reason I hold on to my CAAD9 and CAAD10 is because their stock sizing fits me well.Greg
I'm sorry, but earlier I said I've kept my CAAD10 because of durability. I absolutely want to change my answer to how the bike fits. The same geo that was on my CAAD (and SS if I recall correctly) fit me like a glove.

It's like that comforting blanket or chair......it just fits perfect and feels right.

I compare all other bike fits to stock 58cm CAAD geo. 57.5 TT and 175 HT
Old 05-28-2020, 12:05 PM

I'm wondering if the CAAD 10 didn't change enough for more tire clearance in the latest edition. I think my 2015 CAAD 10 would clear 28's, but not sure the earlier 10's would. Did they make running changes to same model?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I'm wondering if the CAAD 10 didn't change enough for more tire clearance in the latest edition. I think my 2015 CAAD 10 would clear 28's, but not sure the earlier 10's would. Did they make running changes to same model?
I think it had more to do with frame size.

My 58 and bigger sizes (60,62) fit 28's and 30's easily. Not so much on 56cm frames and smaller...........
Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 PM

I had a 58cm '12 CAAD 10 and it would take 28s no problem, even out to the Schwalbe Ultremos that measured about 33 or 34. Liked it better than the evo that followed it. Geometry due to the fork offset was just a little bit slower making it more versatile (and the evo would barely clear 25s on 17mm rims).

Tags
cannondale, cult of caad