Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Looks to me like a rebadged import. Integrated headset, no barrel adjusters...when I see stuff like that, I just start thinking import. Jeff N.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
swoop

to the op.... why not give the fellow that makes those lovely crumptons a call?
one has the feeling he 'gets it' in every sense o the word.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
drunk again

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
that's what eliot spitzer's allies said too atmo.
relentlessly funny......
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
the antiviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
cough. (pilfered from their gallery)
Complete with camouflage paint to hide the hideous shape.

The shape. The paint. I've got a headache now.

...I've never seen an all-carbon Seven, either. Any of the three purported models.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM

Living here in Austin

I've had a chance to some of Nick's work. They are absolutely stunning. I still have not seen a Meivici (hoping to see one soon). My humble opinion of carbon is go cheap as it is disposable and save your Benjamins for custom steel or, dare I say it, titanium.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
to the op.... why not give the fellow that makes those lovely crumptons a call?
one has the feeling he 'gets it' in every sense o the word.
I have a time vxrs I'm quite happy with, and if my better half lets me get a new sled I will probably be looking at a cross bike in ti or ss. If I was looking to get another carbon bike would probably do exactly what you suggest. I was just curious.

-jjb
Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids
Complete with camouflage paint to hide the hideous shape.

The shape. The paint. I've got a headache now.

I think I'd prefer to see that bike with a different paint job and a different set of wheels before I could even begin to form an opinion on whether the shape is attractive or not. Right now it's just causing way too many cortical synapses to misfire randomly.

Speaking of custom carbon, does Aegis do "full custom"?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Speaking of custom carbon, does Aegis do "full custom"?
Not quite yet. They do make a variety of sizes and will offer guidance on which model will fit best based on your physical requirements since they have varying top tubes given a certain seat tube dimension.
Nice folks up there in Maine. You'll enjoy speaking with them.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Looks to me like a rebadged import. Integrated headset, no barrel adjusters...when I see stuff like that, I just start thinking import. Jeff N.
Look at the goofy wrap around pieces at the headtube. Only Seven seem to do this so I don't think it is a rebadge.

Tim McTeague
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM

bro guess you would not see another bike like that at starbucks
cheers
Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Post Mod-ern

Uh, ICK . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb
Yikes! What else can you really say. I'm not crazy about the tube shapes and seat mast but you add the paint on top of that too.
+1 . . . Make the whole thing in stealth black and it might, just might look cool. But that paint job makes it look like something out of the kiddie play yard at Six Flags . . .

Where's that animated barfing emoticon when we need it? . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
swoop

for me.. by the time the tubes have this large a profile it just makes a sloppy ride in any real world conditions (ie wind). its worth it for a tt set up... but to do major time on something that fat seems to me to have lost the way of good bikin'.

there's another seven carbon model too.. i think they just need to clean up the headtube and ask themselves some serious questions about who they (seven) are and what tube shapes represent a company that does so well working the beautiful construction and materials of their ti and ti/carbon bikes. seven is a company that should be about details. and a headtube that looks like its designed to cover their arses size wise doesn't look like a good detail).

if i were seven i'd have a ti bike that had a seat mast option (a real minimalist piece of art). i'd keep the elium race. and in whatever carbon i'm making i'd stick to the top shelf materials... that filament wound stuff is a gorgeous material.
if they can find a way to join the tubes at the level of that material.. i'd buy it in a flash. i think they'd do well to look at parlee and crumptons work (with all due respect to parlee and crumpton)

the final thing i'd want from them is just a working man's ALUMINUM race bike. starship tubing, big ugly welds, functional geo, simple flat primer paint job. let the focus be the materials and the fork and hit a price point where the bike becomes a sensible option. sell then with the tiniest of margins to local clubs... make it a tool rather than a bedroom masterpiece.

my point is that seven needs to identify themselves with a concept.. and in my mind that concept should be mastery of materials and minimalism.
if they want to push the envelop.. . play with the bb width of how to seat the bearings...
and don't make any motorcycles.

that being said... i don't know how seven and serotta make payroll. i can see a one or two man operation doing well and i can see the whole specialized china bike thing... but i don't know how you pay 30 people and make payroll and bikes. i get the feeling all parties concerned live that question too.

Last edited by swoop; 03-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
the antiviper

Quote:
if i were seven i'd have a ti bike that had a seat mast option (a real minimalist piece of art). i'd keep the elium race. and in whatever carbon i'm making i'd stick to the top shelf materials... that filament wound stuff is a gorgeous material.
if they can find a way to join the tubes at the level of that material.. i'd buy it in a flash. i think they'd do well to look at parlee and crumptons work (with all due respect to parlee and crumpton)

the final thing i'd want from them is just a working man's race bike. starship tubing, big ugly welds, functional geo, simple flat primer paint job. let the focus be the materials and the fork and hit a price point where the bike becomes a sensible option. sell then with the tiniest of margins to local clubs... make it a tool rather than a bedroom masterpiece.

my point is that seven needs to identify themselves with a concept.. and in my mind that concept should be mastery of materials and minimalism.
if they want to push the envelop.. . play with the bb width of how to seat the bearings...
and don't make any motorcycles.
Wrong thread. And you misspelled "Serotta" a few times, I think...
Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids
Wrong thread. And you misspelled "Serotta" a few times, I think...

thanks... but we are talkign about that ugly carbon seven no?
and yeah.. i mispell because i am. it's like jazz.

besides, my dog wrote this and the lack of thumb does make the typing hardmo.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:

if they can find a way to join the tubes at the level of that material.. i'd buy it in a flash.

I'd like an Ottrott with a ti seat mast.
The Serottavagen version.

-g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ser.JPG (62.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg in.JPG (51.3 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Grant McLean; 03-24-2008 at 03:27 PM.