Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 PM

Busted: Idiot driver and two cops on bikes

Idiot

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-n...-realise-cops/
Old 01-31-2019, 12:39 AM

Well.. there is a bike path next to them... the truck was in the bike path from what I understood... well... I can tell you this, the cops sucks at riding the bike, they were using 75% of the road and this is something that happens all over the place, cops F'ed up? well in my opinion yes... easy they could have using half of the line...

Trucker was mad? well... you have to understand the dude aswell, sure he drives there every day and see bike riders taking the whole line... rule #1 in the road... ride as compact at posible so the cars can pass you with ease. Cops were not doing that. Driver over reacted? hell yeah but at some point if those cops ride like that all the time well they had that coming you know.

How do you think I kept my butt safe all this years? From potatos comments we ride pretty similar in the road and streets... we always agree in stuff like that.

Both sides screwed up... but those cops have no clue how to ride in the road. You cant use over 50% of the road just because you can, thats just dumb thinking.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
rule #1 in the road... ride as compact at posible so the cars can pass you with ease.
That may be a good idea in the US, where roads are generally wide enough for cars to pass bikes easily, however, in Europe it is a different story: If you ride compact on narrow roads, cars will try to squeeze past, often leaving as little as 18-24 inches clearance (45-60cm), this is really dangerous for cyclists, therefore it is often better for a cyclist to ride in a defensive position, preventing cars from passing unless the road is clear of on-coming traffic
Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 AM

Can someone link the video here ? I don't see a video available on the linked page.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

After watching the video I just wonder why the cops weren't on what looked like a reasonable bike path. Yes, the tarmac looked smoother but still the funds had been spent to build what seems to be a fairly nice bike path.
Nevertheless for a driver to go onto the bike path and use his cell phone while driving to harass riders is worse behavior in my mind,
Plenty of fault to go around.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Well.. there is a bike path next to them...
I'm inclined to agree with you.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemies.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 AM
Vendor

I'm always surprised that out of the 6 comments here, half of them are focusing the blame/criticizing the cyclists.

We have no idea what transpired prior to the video, nor how long any actions were going on other than we do know that a car DRIVER was DRIVING on a bike path.

I don't care if they were riding 1000 abreast at 2 km/h while crossing Australia, one incident is perfectly legal (the cycling), albeit arguably a little clueless, while the other is TOTALLY illegal and equally or, I would argue, magnitudes more offensive and clueless in every possible way.

Once again it goes to show how strongly we identify and have been indoctrinated into the idea that "drivers are correct and deserving" and anyone else is just a nuisance.

Forest for the trees.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM

another perspective

But, if the cyclists were out for a training ride (i.e. fast), they may not have wanted to ride in the mixed-use path as they; (I) usually have a modest speed limit, and (ii) are used by children and family and skateboarders and 'social' riders who are out for a fun ride.

This is certainly the case in Vancouver. The mix of electric bicycles and also electric skateboards together with kids and parents and in-line skaters really make the local Mixed Use Lanes not appropriate for fast cycling.

I drive to a more open series of roads where I can train and the biggest hazards are distracted drivers and squirrels. Did I mention distracted drivers?

Just another perspective to consider.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:57 AM

Sometimes I wonder about some comments on here.

I mean, yeah, it's really easy to look at any video of a cyclist and find something that they did wrong, or that you'd do differently.

But how many of us have been harassed, abused, or outright assaulted by drivers while doing nothing wrong whatsoever? I know I sure have.

Which sort of makes you think that there's no real way you can avoid being harassed by drivers. And it kind of makes you think that the responsibilities lies with people not to harass others, eh?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM

One of the many reasons I stopped looking at the general discussion threads: victim blaming of cyclists by the cyclists of paceline.

Were the cops/ cyclists in the wrong? Maybe, possibly, who the F knows?

Was the driver in the wrong? Driving on a multi-use path cursing out cyclists and clearly angry, bitter and entitled. Obviously in the wrong.

But, but, but ... bull$h!t
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM

If it was me, I would probably be on the road. Cycle paths are often poorly maintained, littered with broken glass etc. Also if you are riding at a fast average pace then slowing down to get onto the lane, slowing down at intersections, slowing down to rejoin the road all make the lanes less attractive

However, I do ride on cycle lanes too, especially if riding on my own and not pushing to ride as fast as possible, or maybe if I am in a big group, riding on the cycle lane is more social as you can ride 2/3 abreast and have a chat.

As pointed out by others, we do not know why the riders were on the road, but they were legally entitled to be there, while the driver was completely in the wrong
Old 01-31-2019, 11:33 AM

It certainly was a very rural area. IDK why they would even have cycle paths in an area like that. The news guy is right, it's a two way street. The driver however is obviously in the wrong. He was trying to prove a point but the reality is that bikes can either ride on the road or on the cycle paths but cars... Nope.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
But, if the cyclists were out for a training ride (i.e. fast), they may not have wanted to ride in the mixed-use path as they; (I) usually have a modest speed limit, and (ii) are used by children and family and skateboarders and 'social' riders who are out for a fun ride.

This is certainly the case in Vancouver. The mix of electric bicycles and also electric skateboards together with kids and parents and in-line skaters really make the local Mixed Use Lanes not appropriate for fast cycling.

I drive to a more open series of roads where I can train and the biggest hazards are distracted drivers and squirrels. Did I mention distracted drivers?

Just another perspective to consider.
Don't forget III: paths cross roads in strange places and drivers aren't usually looking for cyclists to be there. Add in some speed with crossing in a weird place and you get many problems. AMHIK!

IIIa: if they'll miss my 600# BMW GS-Adv, what chance do I have in the above situation on a bicycle that's a third the size and without all the driving lights?!

Nope. Even if I see a 'bike path' next to the road, I'll usually prefer to take my chances with the as 'another road user' rather than a special snowflake that needs their own separate infrastructure. Among other reasons: cars are pretty predictable. MUT users generally aren't.

M
Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 PM

This subject is so long to discuss... you can write a book about it because independently of what dumb car drivers do, you have cyclists like those 2 cops that just from looking at the video the 1st second you know they need to learn how to ride a bike in the road.

As gummee says, probably those cops need a whole infrastructure for themselves.

Put those two cops with a cyclotourist from europe or south america and you will see the differences in the way they ride in the road at the 1st second. Another example... look what people does to cross streets, specially a 10 or 16 y/o compared with an old dude... old dude will look around and will cross fast eventhought you stop for them, because he is respectfull and I bet you his grandpa tought him to cross... 17 y/o kid dont look before crossing...etc etc.. you got the idea. With bikes is the same logic.. you cant take the whole lane because thats just putting yourself in danger...disrespectfull with the drivers too...etc etc..

Remember the lady that sue because she wanted to use an interstate hwy??? you see the pictures that genius was clogging the whole right lane in a f... hwy, she sued because she felt entitled to use it... yes you can but your mind must be missing half of her neurons to think that way. You never have to forget that because you can doesnt have you have to, specially when you have cars, trucks and buses behind you... that's just putting yourself in a bad spot, bad like... at some point you will be run over.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 01-31-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
After watching the video I just wonder why the cops weren't on what looked like a reasonable bike path. Yes, the tarmac looked smoother but still the funds had been spent to build what seems to be a fairly nice bike path.
I haven't watched (at work), so maybe there's something in the video but this line of reasoning is what gets me yelled at all the time. Most bike paths around here are just plain dangerous with all the cross traffic but to most people (IE: those who never use them), the paths look reasonable and yep, they personally paid for them so I should use them.