Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM

OT: fear of flying

Anyone else have irrational anxiety about flying? I'm flying to NY tomorrow, which I've been doing 1-2 times/year for the last 15 years or so, and it always makes me nervous. My lower back issue doesn't help, I have nerve adhesions and they always fire up after 5 hours in those terrible seats.

The thread about "fear of riding" got me thinking... I don't think twice about riding a bike through traffic, or bombing down a hill at 50 mph... but flying -- the safest form of transportation -- gives me the creeps. Luckily I have a bottle of Ativan, 2mg.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM

I've got no fear of flying, but the anxiety that Airports in the US cause now is probably just as bad. I've taken to drinking an ice cold bottle of my favorite brew, some how it just helps!

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Sometimes in heavy turbulence I get a bit bothered but I used to fly also. But it's a lot different flying a Cessna then sitting in the cattle hold of a big jet. But realistically it's far more dangerous driving to the airport then flying across the country so take comfort (or NOT) in that.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Engine problems

Its the rare, but spectacular, demise that gives folks the fear. You hit the nail on the head-- lots of things out there that we do every day that are far more dangerous.

A tidbit to appeal to your rational mind:If a business traveller logs 5 flights a week, how long (no vacations, 52 weeks/year) will it be before statistics catch up with him and he dies in an airplane crash?
14,000 years.

There are, of course the added issues of airport parking, TSA, nasty employees, and sitting in coach. On these elements, I'm with you...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
...Luckily I have a bottle of Ativan, 2mg.
What I usually do is try to calm my nerves with cool thoughts. Try using mental thoughts of your favorite ride, your favorite vacation spot, or a funny story. iPods and iPads make for good distractors. Put on your favorite playlist while you are taxiing. Once the plane is moving towards the runway, the flight attendants are already in their seats and buckled in. I always turn on my iPod and tune into my fave playlist.

I also believe in better living through chemistry...try half a pill of Ativan. Sleeping through the whole experince may be the ticket.

Safe travels.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Head to Ned

I don't think you have a fear of flying...

You have a fear of CRASHING!!!

I think for some it is the disconnect of not having any control over your fate. When you drive or bike and many other day to day things your life is somewhat more under your own control, for better or worse...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM

A calm flight attendant will put you at ease.

(Cartoon courtesy of New Yorker.)

Last edited by fiamme red; 05-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM

My two biggest fears of flying

1) is catching a bug from one of those guys I always see coming out the restroom stalls and passing the sinks without washing. A small container of Purell eases this fear.

2) being in the same cabin as whoever it is that has the horrible noxious gas that makes it almost uninhabitable. Haven't found a cure for this one yet, other than the Pavlovian reflex to pass out when the engines rev on the runway.

Be careful on the way to the airport and the rest of the trip will be much safer!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

My wife has a huge fear-turbulence scares the hell out of her. I try to comfort her, but its almost impossible. So i feel your pain. I don't mind flying for pleasure. My 9 year daughter old loves turbulence and thinks it is like a roller coaster-go figure.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Everything is connected

I've averaged 120k in the air for the past 14 years and you get used to the sights, sounds and "feel" of flying. For the coast to coast flights, a good noise canceling headset, iPad and some snacks help take your mind off of watching the clock. Turbulence sucks, but you don't see too many planes dropping from the sky because of it.

Read some articles on clear air turbulence and at least you'll understand the science involved. Maybe it's me but I also find that night flying is less turbulent and less stressful in terms of crowds and such. It could be worse...you could be driving with the 18 wheeler crowd, which scares the hell out of me more than any rough flight.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM

I don't fear flying. I fear crashing! It's not the fall that'll kill you. It's the impact!

Yes, flying is irrational. But it is physics. And physics works. It's also a highly regulated business, and the rules are there for your safety.

I do it for a living and didn't always like it. Well, I still don't really get a kick out of it but I like certain aspects of the lifestyle (and hate others) and it's all I'm qualified to do. Besides, I like sitting in seat 0A. The view is nice.

Here's a pic from seat 0A as we flew around trying to find the destination airport!

Yeah, I know, what I've said doesn't give much comfort. But it's actually incredibly safe. The reason you feel anxiety is because you are not in control of anything. People don't like lack of control. And today's flying experience is miserable to boot, making the stress levels higher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying.jpg (31.5 KB, 208 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM

think about how much f-ing more dangerous

driving on the freeway really is than flying. Strap in, say your mantra, take drugs, drink liquer, and let go and let god.

"In the US, each year there are about 40,000 deaths per year in automobile accidents vs. about 200 in air transport. To put this in perspective, the chance of dying in an automobile accident is about 1000 times more than winning a typical state lottery in a year."

On the other hand, better chance of walking away from a car crash. I bet you knew all this. Fear sucks.

So weird how we are wired. Near complete comfort in the car and wiggy about flying. Me too.

Last edited by eddief; 05-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Two wheels good

I have both afraid yet very attracted to the idea of flying. Until this year I hadn't flown in 13 years (although I did a few times a year in the decade before that and I have done it a few times already this year since my first flight this year).

For me it's a control thing as I'm not exactly risk adverse as I have no problem descending a hill at 50mph on a 17 pound bike or riding my motorcycle in highway traffic.

Xanax is your friend, not to dope you up but just to take the edge off. After a few good flights like this you'll calm down enough that you won't need it anymore.

Last edited by avalonracing; 05-09-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Here's a short video highlighting some aspects of another era of flying, when it was much more civilized and people actually wore shoes to the airport. And shirts too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDXQ...eature=related

Seriously, I bet if you asked to talk to the pilots they'd give you a quick briefing on the flight and the route and the weather and it might put you at ease. Otherwise, get a really good movie on your iPad and enjoy that. The time will pass more quickly.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
driving on the freeway really is than flying. Strap in, say your mantra, take drugs, drink liquer, and let go and let god.

"In the US, each year there are about 40,000 deaths per year in automobile accidents vs. about 200 in air transport. To put this in perspective, the chance of dying in an automobile accident is about 1000 times more than winning a typical state lottery in a year."

On the other hand, better chance of walking away from a car crash. I bet you knew all this. Fear sucks.

So weird how we are wired. Near complete comfort in the car and wiggy about flying. Me too.
Yup, the statistics are comforting. I drive I-80 3-4 days/week and I've seen some horrible stuff on that freeway... and yet, it doesn't phase me. Must be the control thing. Fear is a strange beast.