Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

New discussion section/galleries

We are making some changes to Paceline categories in pursuit of our goal of making your Paceline experience more rewarding. Here are the changes:

Off-Topic Section

This section is for all topics that are non-cycling related. Political topics and any personal attacks are not allowed, as described in the Paceline User Agreement. Threads that do not follow forum rules may be closed or deleted without notice.

Reorganized Photo Galleries

Custom Bikes . . . Any bike produced with custom geometry or paint.

Production Bikes . . . Any bike with “stock” sizing or paint.

There may be a bit of crossover in these two categories, given the almost endless variety of bikes available. Please contact the mods if you are unsure exactly where to post.

Serotta Bikes . . . Hopefully self-explanatory and homage to our long-time previous sponsor.

Builders and Artisans Showcase . . . This section is where frame builders or other cycling artisans can post photos of individual products they are particularly proud of. Show us that recent build you’re particularly proud of, that sublime paint job or innovative hand-built solution to a challenge. Almost any handbuilt, individually produced cycling related equipment or item is eligible.

Note that entries in this gallery should be posted by the builders themselves. We want to hear from YOU why it’s special. It is not for posting by dealers, marketing representatives or other third parties. It is also not for posting of advertisements and it is for special items. The moderators reserve the right to limit postings and discussions and remove material they deem inappropriate.

Last edited by Keith A; 02-29-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
50 bpm

Good idea on the OT thread.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM

I like everything buthe Off Topic section. We really don't get that many posts and it's so easy to skip them if you're not interested. Some times they are of interest. I don't want to go down the road to having separate sections for everything like roadbikereview.com.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Glad to see the Serotta section continued. I'm sure it was an easy decision.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer
I like everything buthe Off Topic section. We really don't get that many posts and it's so easy to skip them if you're not interested. Some times they are of interest. I don't want to go down the road to having separate sections for everything like roadbikereview.com.
Don't worry, we have no intention of doing that. As for the OT, this has been debated quite a bit and I think at this point we are going to put this out there for a trial run and see how it goes.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM

I don't think that we need a separate off-topic subforum, but evidently the mods don't agree.

I also think that all image galleries should be combined into one (including that of Serottas). Why do we need separate production and custom galleries?

Merge the Bike Fit subforum into General Discussion.

Less subforums, not more, I say. If you like many subforums, you can go "across the hall" or to RoadBikeReview or BikeForums.

p.s. Thanks for your excellent work so far.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A
We are making some changes to Paceline categories in pursuit of our goal of making your Paceline experience more rewarding. Here are the changes:

Off-Topic Section

This section is for all topics that are non-cycling related. Political topics and any personal attacks are not allowed, as described in the Paceline User Agreement. Threads that do not follow forum rules may be closed or deleted without notice.

Reorganized Photo Galleries

Custom Bikes . . . Any bike produced with custom geometry or paint.

There may be a bit of crossover in these two categories, given the almost endless variety of bikes available. Please contact the mods if you are unsure exactly where to post.

Serotta Bikes . . . Hopefully self-explanatory and homage to our long-time previous sponsor.

Builders and Artisans Showcase . . . This section is where frame builders or other cycling artisans can post photos of individual products they are particularly proud of. Show us that recent build you’re particularly proud of, that sublime paint job or innovative hand-built solution to a challenge. Almost any handbuilt, individually produced cycling related equipment or item is eligible.

Note that entries in this gallery should be posted by the builders themselves. We want to hear from YOU why it’s special. It is not for posting by dealers, marketing representatives or other third parties. It is also not for posting of advertisements and it is for special items. The moderators reserve the right to limit postings and discussions and remove material they deem inappropriate.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Post Mod-ern

Relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red
I don't think that we need a separate off-topic subforum, but evidently the mods don't agree.

I also think that all image galleries should be combined into one (including that of Serottas). Why do we need separate production and custom galleries?

Less subforums, not more, I say. If you like many subforums, you can go "across the hall" or to RoadBikeReview or BikeForums.

It's all a work in progress. If certain sections do not attract the usage they can always be changed.

Just give it a chance . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Wow... my thoughts exactly. Especially the p.s. part...

Simplify.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Administrator

just my 2-cents worth of opinion: i dont like a separate off-topic section either. i'm less likely to browse that section than the general section, and some interesting stuff might be missed by some folks.

i'm adaptable though.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Agree 100%

We've had this debate before and the forum has worked great as it is. I don't know why it needs to be messed with.

William
Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Keep up the good work

regardless of how we feel about any changes... keep up the good work mods... this place is great...
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A
A picky point, but since the Custom Bikes section allows for "custom geometry or paint" shouldn't the Production Bikes section be "'stock' sizing and paint?"
Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo
A picky point, but since the Custom Bikes section allows for "custom geometry or paint" shouldn't the Production Bikes section be "'stock' sizing and paint?"
Fixed.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
just my 2-cents worth of opinion: i dont like a separate off-topic section either. i'm less likely to browse that section than the general section, and some interesting stuff might be missed by some folks.
+1