Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 PM
ZhugeLiang

In celebration of our brokenness...

first and foremost, please note that we are entering into a judgement-free zone....and our usual disclaimer: DO NOT ATTEMPT to try this at home, the stunts are performed by highly skilled and experienced professionals who have undergone many years of specialized training.

okey dokey, with those two things out of the way: This thread is about broken bikes. Bikes that have flaws and blemishes that only we, ourselves, and possibly a handful of trusted friends know about. The extent of the damage can vary from a minor scratch, one that is so minor that you can only see them if you know where to look or under certain light conditions....or they can be super major....so major that it's a ticking time-bomb and only the crazies would continue to ride em'!

I will start first.

Here are three bikes that I currently own and ride on regularly, that are broken.

1) Paul Taylor. It's my first and only custom steel ritchey-breakaway bike. I have owned it for 10 years now. It has traveled extensively over three continents. It developed cracks in the bottom bracket and the head tube. Local framebuilder Nao Tomii fixed the BB for me several months ago. At first, I thought the crack in the headtube was a false alarm but later it was proven to be cracked as well. I even brought this very bike to D2R2 twice!
Yeah...I know what you are thinking...remember, we are inside the judgement-free zone. Besides if you think this is bad. wait till you hear more about...

2) Cyfac Absolu carbon superbike.
I bought this cheap from a forum pal who have fully disclosed its conditions. He bought it from someone else thinking that he will repair it before riding but ended up selling it to me before he did. The story goes that the original owner had crashed on the bike in icy roads and there were cracks found on the carbon fork and the top tube where the rear brake cable exits. When I first took ownership of the bike....oh btw, it's really pretty, these french guys made it into a work of art, seriously...anyway, so I got hold of the bike, I looked at it for 30 seconds and decided to build it up and ride as is. ....ah ah ah ....judgement-free zone, remember?
I crashed on this bike a few weeks ago. Not a scratch....press on!
At the moment, it's the BEST-RIDING bike in my collection. It's that good.

Last edited by weisan; 12-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.