Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Bike Guy

Neoprene Overshoes Repair

Has anyone ever repaired holes in their fancy neoprene booties/overshoes or gloves before? I have a pair of the Rapha neoprene winter overshoes that have developed some holes over the last few winters but they are still mostly sound. Rapha does not offer any sort of repair service on them and I do not really feel like spending a lot of coin on new ones with winter winding down. It would be great to repair them for at least another winter of use.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Check with your local dive shop if SCUBA diving is an activity anywhere near you. They may be able to help.

Otherwise I would try a serious outdoor gear store.

Patch kits should be available.

BK

-edit- Not so sure about Black Mountain for a dive shop. You are pretty landlocked. Go with option 2.

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Black shoe goo for durability but go slow if you are concerned about aesthetics. Use an ice cube after putting a small blob on the area to get it super smooth.

Also McNett makes a bunch of neoprene repair products from rubber cements to small patches. Aquaseal is pretty durable as well but it is clear. May be better if your overshoes are any other color than black.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Aquaseal

I've used it to repair tears in the neoprene skirts for my WW kayaks. You do have kayak shops near you or you can get it online.
http://www.amazon.com/AquaSeal-Ureth...ords=aqua+seal. You can buy sheet neoprene if necessary, but small tears can be repaired with Aquaseal alone.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
v a n i l l a

the goo, aquaseal and patch suggestions will certainly work well (I've used them) but if you are just concerned about the hole opening further and not so much about a moisture barrier, just use needle and thread.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Oh yeah if you want to stitch it shut use dental floss instead of thread. That is what I use to repair large holes in wetsuits.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Has anyone ever repaired holes in their fancy neoprene booties/overshoes or gloves before? I have a pair of the Rapha neoprene winter overshoes that have developed some holes over the last few winters but they are still mostly sound. Rapha does not offer any sort of repair service on them and I do not really feel like spending a lot of coin on new ones with winter winding down. It would be great to repair them for at least another winter of use.

Thanks for the help
I've never needed to, but what about a tire patch that needs to be glued on (as opposed to the peel and stick patches)?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 PM

Aquaseal. You can also use the Aquaseal to armor area prone to wear.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 PM

repair booties

this lady works for patigonia and repairs all types clothing you could give her a call..

http://growlingwhalestitchery.com/
Old 02-22-2015, 08:59 PM

Aquaseal works, but the definitive adhesive is neoprene cement. It works fast and it completely seals the joint. You need a clean joint with sharp edges, so trim everything with a razor blade, paint on the cement, and squeeze together. You can further add some stitching if your booties are laminated fabric over neoprene; if they are just neoprene, the stitching can contribute to a new tear. You can also use neoprene cement to glue the two surfaces together and then coat the inside with Aquaseal; this helps if it's at a point where there's a right-angle joint (like between the sole and the upper) but for other rips it probably isn't necessary.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 AM

My thoughts were that once they start going then they are done. But to make it just try and last a bit longer I had some black duct tape laying around. I taped across the hole on the inside and outside. That was two years ago
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Bike Guy

SitRep

Overshoes are repaired, though due to some summerish weather here in WNC I have not needed them all week. So stress testing my job has yet to be done. Here are some pictures of the result. I went a bit overboard with the aquaseal only because the neoprene iron patch felt a bit thin and I wanted to cover all th seams.

For reference I used the following 2 products. Came to approx $20 since shipping is free on Amazon Prime.

Iron Mend
Seal Cement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4734.jpg (46.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4736.jpg (48.7 KB, 46 views)