Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 02-05-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Dave, I've noticed you haven't been putting FD braze-ons on your recent builds. Is this a conscious thing, or just what clients have been asking for? Is there an issue with brazing them on the Onesto and your other stainless seat tube frames, or again, is it just personal preference?

Thanks.

That’s a good question. For years most of my bikes were built with a front derailleur braze-on but over time fewer frames are built that way. There are a few reasons for this. First is that a surprising number of riders want to be able to set up the bike with either a 1x or 2x drivetrain and they don’t want an unused braze-on just sitting there. Secondly, it used to be that most companies offered what were in effect standard chainring sizes like a 39/53 but over time that “standard” has gone away. Now we see such a wide range of available c-ring sizes that the adjustment range of the braze-on can fall short…it’s hard to make the system work as we’d like when the large ring might be a 53 or a 44.

In these cases using a clamp-on derailleur will allow the rider to use most any size ring that they’d like and never be limited by the adjustment range of the braze-on. I think a braze-on is super clean and if the c-ring size range will be narrow it’s a great option. But if the rider wants the option of going 1x or 2x and they want to use whatever size c-ring that want then going with a clamp-on might be the ticket.

Thanks for asking -

dave
Old 02-05-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
That’s a good question. For years most of my bikes were built with a front derailleur braze-on but over time fewer frames are built that way. There are a few reasons for this. First is that a surprising number of riders want to be able to set up the bike with either a 1x or 2x drivetrain and they don’t want an unused braze-on just sitting there. Secondly, it used to be that most companies offered what were in effect standard chainring sizes like a 39/53 but over time that “standard” has gone away. Now we see such a wide range of available c-ring sizes that the adjustment range of the braze-on can fall short…it’s hard to make the system work as we’d like when the large ring might be a 53 or a 44.

In these cases using a clamp-on derailleur will allow the rider to use most any size ring that they’d like and never be limited by the adjustment range of the braze-on. I think a braze-on is super clean and if the c-ring size range will be narrow it’s a great option. But if the rider wants the option of going 1x or 2x and they want to use whatever size c-ring that want then going with a clamp-on might be the ticket.

Thanks for asking -

dave

+1, exactly!
I run 44T big rings on my two all road bikes and a 44T 1X on another bike that had a tab - on that bike the smallest chainring the tab is made for is 48T, and so even with an aftermarket FD dropping gizmo it won't work with a 44T chainring.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

dave
Dave, thanks for the reply. Makes sense, now that I think about it, and as Marc (NHA...) points out. All my bikes are 2x with either 48 or 50 big chainrings, so just for me right now, a braze-on might make sense. But who knows going forward. I guess leaving it off allows for more options in the future.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:30 PM

Wrapping this one right before the weekend buzzer buzzes. That always feels good to have that timing work out. This frameset is built around canti brakes, 650 x 48 tires and a cable pulled mechanical drivetrain and aside from the canti bosses is fully stainless. It will head off to Joe Bell's world for him to do his thing and I'm excited to see how it comes out.

Now a few days to ride or ski or snowboard or work on the race car or take a nap....or all of the above.

Have a good weekend doing whatever you do.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6981.jpg (90.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6988.jpg (85.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6989.jpg (69.8 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6991.jpg (81.3 KB, 238 views)
Old 02-09-2024, 05:37 PM
what's a little rust?

Beautiful work. Enjoy the weekend, Dave. Watch out for the rocks poking through on those slopes (I’ll be doing the same out here).
Old 02-10-2024, 08:42 AM

Somebody is going to have an awesome new bike very soon! Looks great, Dave!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2024, 08:08 AM

Sheepishly raises hand....

This bike was designed for the Michigan Coast to Coast race, where 48s will be helpful in the sandier snowmobile two-track sections:
https://micoasttocoast.com/204-mile-...-race-details/

It's similar to a Riv Sam Hillborne, with a touch more performance oriented angles and tubing, and an easily attachable/detachable external p-clamp dynamo system.

It'll be painted stainless because our roads have a lot of salt during some of the colder periods, and many of the dirt roads get brined in the summer for dust control. I'd like it to last a long time.

Thank you for everything, Dave. You are wonderfully thoughtful, knowledgeable, and fun to work with. You also have the patience of a saint.

Last edited by Toddtwenty2; 02-11-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
Sheepishly raises hand....

This bike was designed for the Michigan Coast to Coast race, where 48s will be helpful in the sandier snowmobile two-track sections:
https://micoasttocoast.com/204-mile-...-race-details/

It's similar to a Riv Sam Hillborne, with a touch more performance oriented angles and tubing, and an easily attachable/detachable external p-clamp dynamo system.

It'll be painted stainless because our roads have a lot of salt during some of the colder periods, and many of the dirt roads get brined in the summer for dust control. I'd like it to last a long time.

Thank you for everything, Dave. You are wonderfully thoughtful, knowledgeable, and fun to work with. You also have the patience of a saint.
Sounds like you’re set. Now just stay on course. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Sounds like you’re set. Now just stay on course. Good luck.
Now to get my legs up to par!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
Now to get my legs up to par!
Saw this on Instagram the other day and knew where it was headed! Looks like it's going to be amazing!