Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Fit, or just lack of use and other things in life needing funding.

Tommasini Diamante is up for sale and it's just a hair too small. Told myself it would be a wall hanger before I sold it, but I would prefer to just move on to other bikes.

Will I miss it, sure. But.. it's just a bike. And anything is for sale, for the right price.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
funny thread.

even billy joel got divorced from christy brinkley.

Reminds me of a line from Stanley Tucci's character in Sidewalks of New York
Old 11-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Another bike that I wanted more...and I will never ever ever sell it.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Picshooter

This thread has got me seriously thinking of selling my 52 Moots Compact F&F. I haven't ridden it much at all in the past few years, and while it's one of those "I ain't never going to sell" frames, maybe it's time.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 AM

Recently sold a beautiful 90s small Italian builder bike that had many good memories attached to it to fund the purchase of a cyclo-cross bike. I didn't ride it a lot and my priorities changed towards extending my riding season. Right now, staying fit and healthy is more important and cycling helps me with that.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 AM

What got me to sell my 2007 Orbea Orca? Steel. To be exact, I was riding my wall hanger 1971 Raleigh Professional for Eroica California, and it was like buttery smooth. When I got back, I jumped on my Orbea, and felt that familiar racey edge to it..."good to be back on the machine" I said to my self. Until, that is, I got back from my ride and looked at the stats. I was beat up and tired. Two days later, I rode the same route on the old heavy Raleigh, and guess what? my time was faster, and I felt great at the end of the ride. I repeated this experiment a few times, with the same results. In short, the carbon fram set had to go. I replaced it with my 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria. Life on two wheels has never been better.

Just remember what happens to plastic when you leave it in the sun - it deteriorates. Carbon has limited life. Be advised.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 AM

For me, bikes that usually go on the selling block are bikes that just don't get ridden much anymore...and I always take it in the $horts, losing many hundreds over the original cost of the bikes.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 AM

... another bike.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Hot Tubes custom CX bike

Had the frame built for me back in 2003. Raced on it for a few years. 10 or so years later I had found a Colnago CX bike and figured I didn't need more than one 'cross bike.

So I sold it on ebay. Regretted selling it even before I delivered it to the buyer. Didn't want to let it go...

A year later I still missed the bike, so I contacted the buyer and asked if he'd be willing to sell it back to me. Yep.

So now I have not two, but four 'cross bikes in the stable. Go figure!

The Hot Tubes was one of two custom bikes I had built. The other was a Condor Cycles road bike, built in 1981. Lots of memories with that bike, including meeting Monty Young, the builder. Lots of miles.

That bike was retired about 20 years ago and has been hanging around as a bare frame. I don't expect to ever ride it again, and am thinking about selling it. At some point, I'll post here explaining my remorse in selling it.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I always take it in the $horts, losing many hundreds over the original cost of the bikes...

Investments and real estate, I expect (or hope) to come out well ahead. Bikes... I never go into it thinking I'll make money, or even get back my cost. The way I rationalize the dollar loss when turning one over is I pay for experience and knowledge.

They say you don't buy beer, you only rent it. If bikes are like that, I can stand it -- I've lost track long ago how many I've had, never really kept track, and if I'd done something useful with that money I'd probably live a little different life, but I'm satisfied with the bargain.

But to come back to the point: I've sold bikes because I didn't like the way they felt to ride, more often than any other reason. Ha ha, and then come to find out there was something I could have done to fix the problem... had a Merlin Extralight that was just a bad handler, unstable and impossible to control. I dumped it, probably lost half what I put into it. Then I got to talking with people about forks and discovered there were a lot of options I'd never tried...
Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
...and I always take it in the $horts, losing many hundreds over the original cost of the bikes.

NO,NO,NO. You must think of it as "cost softening". For example, if you are about to spend $4k on a frame, you quickly calculate that you will get $2500 back when you sell it, so you are REALLY only spending $1500. Then you depreciate the cost over duration you will own the bike, until said cost is less than the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Then you say to yourself, " cycling costs less than being a smoker, and much healthier."
Old 11-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
NO,NO,NO. You must think of it as "cost softening". For example, if you are about to spend $4k on a frame, you quickly calculate that you will get $2500 back when you sell it, so you are REALLY only spending $1500. Then you depreciate the cost over duration you will own the bike, until said cost is less than the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Then you say to yourself, " cycling costs less than being a smoker, and much healthier."
Interesting perspective!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM

A Trek 2000, my first "superbike". Was going to keep it forever. Then, the shifters fell off...
Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM

damn that's good. i gotta show this to my wife. are you an ex-arthur andersen accountant tasked with working on the enron account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
damn that's good. i gotta show this to my wife. are you an ex-arthur andersen accountant tasked with working on the enron account?

I agree. That’s straight out of Smartest Guys in the Room.