Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I don't think I have ever said "I will never sell this bike."

Fit changes over time, technology changes...

My current like is disc brakes and DI2- So I have been selling off all of my rim brake and mechanical bikes- Were they all great bikes- sure.
Will I replace with bikes that suit my current needs and desires- yes.
well said john

A lot of folks just like the idea of ownership...whether the bike actually gets ridden or not. so they have a lot of bikes.

the rest of us...well, c'mon...the main idea of having a bike is to ride it and enjoy it.

but, as john mentions, Fit changes over time, technology changes...

I too like the idea of discs and electric (as well as a new 150mm full suspension sled)...at some point, the moots the responsorium and perhaps even the vanilla might go to make that happen.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:20 AM

Sold an original Spooky Skeletor that I had just built up and had exactly 3 rides on because of bills. Still miss that bike, but we were poor graduate/medical students and an unexpected 2k needed to come from somewhere.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 AM

Bitten by Regret

With over 30 years of racing/ riding to look back to I’ve had a couple bikes from my early days that I should have never parted with, more related to fit/function over form/aesthetics. Learned my lesson, I have 3 frames I simply will not part with today, plus one more due to its sentimental value. Just so happens they’re all Serotta’s, don’t think this is coincidence.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
I occasionally see classified postings of people selling an exceptional bike (maybe it’s custom, or just very customized) that they clearly are reluctant to part with. Usually it’s because it just doesn’t get ridden any more. I’m curious how many folks have looked at a great bike collecting dust and said farewell rather than just ride it more or hang onto it for sentimental reasons. I’ve got a beautiful Seven that I’ve rarely ridden the past year if favor of a somewhat beaten up C50 I picked up, but I can’t imagine selling the Seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really common but I sold a Merckx MXLeader, one of the last 100 Motorola painted ones because I wanted to ride something I sold(not a Merckx dealer)..got a stainless Waterford..nice ride but I should have kept the MXLeader.

Sold that and bought a......MXLeader..after I sold the shop....
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 AM

funny thread.

even billy joel got divorced from christy brinkley.

at some point ya just.....[insert reason here].

(that said i do have one special bike which i'll never sell. lots of personal sentiment attached to it. at least the frame. parts, eh those are subject to change one day. i'd just as soon hang the frame on my wall in my office than sell it.)

Last edited by 54ny77; 11-17-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 AM

for me, it usually takes a while to know whether the bike works for me, even years. the thought that "I'd never sell this bike" occurs in the honeymoon phase that can last up to a year. then slowly but surely, I recognize that the bike lacks the spring and/or the zip. it's 95% perfect, but i am looking to keep only 99% and above. this minor difference gets highlighted by inevitable comparison with the standard setters in the stable.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:35 AM

This place.

Was happy for 10 years on my dream road bike I built from the ground up in 2006, while I focused my energy on the hot mess that is the mountain bike world.

After sorting my off road preferences and a number of years here, I now only want a road bike with a short reach, tall stack, 7cm of setback and a 110mm stem.

Dream bike sold to enable a newb and replacement from this forum in queue.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Storage space.

Last year at this time I stupidly sold two team issue MX Leaders to a couple of Paceliners. 7 months later I sorted out the storage issues and would have had room for them. I hadn't ridden them very much over the last couple of years, but I still enjoyed them from an aesthetic perspective. About 10 years ago, I sold a Cinelli SC that I'd had for close to 15 years. I still miss having it.

Those are my main 3 (oh, and maybe a Rabobank C40 that was sold to purchase a C50...).

Texbike
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Fit and finding something else.

Sometimes I’m looking for a frame so uncommon that when I see one on the periphery of my size range I’ll snag it only to find it’s not the most comfortable.

When I find a different frame I’ve lusted after I’ll usually sell off something to get it.

Also recently I’ve been getting into the “if you haven’t used it in 4 months sell it” routine.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Tires

Bigger tires too-

Closest thing to an "I'll never sell" might be a custom Parlee that I rode in 2006- I lusted after it for a time in 2014 (the guy I sold it to still has it)- But even that has passed. The Parlee will only take 23mm tires, and it has a Reynolds fork with limited clearance. The Scott Addict RC disc that I am riding now is a better bike in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
well said john

A lot of folks just like the idea of ownership...whether the bike actually gets ridden or not. so they have a lot of bikes.

the rest of us...well, c'mon...the main idea of having a bike is to ride it and enjoy it.

but, as john mentions, Fit changes over time, technology changes...

I too like the idea of discs and electric (as well as a new 150mm full suspension sled)...at some point, the moots the responsorium and perhaps even the vanilla might go to make that happen.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Sold my PDM Concorde because I needed rent money

Still miss that one.

I'm contemplating selling my Gunnar Crosshairs. ...the only reason I'm thinking about it is to replace it with a bike that has a tapered HT and discs.

Sold my E5 S-Works to a buddy. Finally got that one back 6 years later.

M
Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM

I have long legs for my height and need custom frames. I have two and will never sell them unless I get to the point where I cannot ride them anymore. I have had my Serotta Nove for over 10 years and have never thought once about selling it. My Spectrum Ti is 7 years old but only has been ridden 50 miles. I just rescued it from Seattle and have it here in DFW where I can ride it now.

I have a CSI that was custom for someone else that fits me perfectly. It has an intricate paint job that I would not pick. This bike is on permanent duty on the trainer in my media room.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2017, 12:32 PM

I sold my Pronto -- and have been dealing with a bit of regret, lately.

I wasn't riding it, or riding much. I overthought it and thought I should have gone with the 50cm instead of the 52, and I kept imagining my tire was rubbing -- maybe I'd just gotten that much slower since I'd gotten it and hadn't been riding.

I liked big 25's and 28's, and wanted something that could take em.. And I guess I wanted someone to enjoy what I wasn't, because it was such a special bike.

But, because it was such a special bike -- I miss it. And now that I'm riding more, lost weight, fitness is in a good place, actually *FEELING* like a cyclist again -- I'd buy it back in a heartbeat, but I don't think Jaybe will be parting with it anytime soon, if ever (although I do have first right of refusal )
Old 11-17-2017, 01:33 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Bigger tires too-

Closest thing to an "I'll never sell" might be a custom Parlee that I rode in 2006- I lusted after it for a time in 2014 (the guy I sold it to still has it)- But even that has passed. The Parlee will only take 23mm tires, and it has a Reynolds fork with limited clearance. The Scott Addict RC disc that I am riding now is a better bike in every way.
One thing to keep in mind though, is to seek change that matters for the riding one is doing or would like to do.

A lot of folks are pavement only - 25s are fine. Narrow rims are fine. 10sp mechanical is fine. The road does not know the bike is obsolete.

While I am "jealous" of the fire roads you and Houston have that offer pavement alternatives, that type of riding does not exist for me down here. Anything near me on dirt I would rather ride my mtn bike on. And, i can't easily ride from my house to get to it.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
I sold my Pronto -- and have been dealing with a bit of regret, lately.

I wasn't riding it, or riding much. I overthought it and thought I should have gone with the 50cm instead of the 52, and I kept imagining my tire was rubbing -- maybe I'd just gotten that much slower since I'd gotten it and hadn't been riding.

I liked big 25's and 28's, and wanted something that could take em.. And I guess I wanted someone to enjoy what I wasn't, because it was such a special bike.

But, because it was such a special bike -- I miss it. And now that I'm riding more, lost weight, fitness is in a good place, actually *FEELING* like a cyclist again -- I'd buy it back in a heartbeat, but I don't think Jaybe will be parting with it anytime soon, if ever (although I do have first right of refusal )
Agreed, that Pronto should have been a keeper - a proper go fast ti serotta.