Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 PM

Cancellara Motor Doping

I️ don’t get the the term “motor doping” per se but here’s another one now being investigated.

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/fab...eb40568974c5ff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 PM

pfff, so much time had passed, where are the bikes he used? I think this is pretty much a canned approach to an issue that, yes, may have happened, very, very difficult to prove this far out from the date it happended...
Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 PM

PG opened up a can of worms with nothing more than his opinion? That’ll be one quick “investigation...”.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
pfff, so much time had passed, where are the bikes he used? I think this is pretty much a canned approach to an issue that, yes, may have happened, very, very difficult to prove this far out from the date it happended...
he has the bike from 2010 Roubaix hanging in his garage.

Not sure what Gaimon knows. He can do like 480 watts for 10 minutes (according to this site: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...x-evo-gallery/ ) I think Cancellara could do close to that for almost an hour. 460 normalized power for an hour and 12 minutes, according to this: http://www.stickybottle.com/wp-conte...16/08/Can1.png

So, for sure Cancellara's max power for an attack is beyond what Gaimon could imagine. "his accelerations don't look natural at all" Indeed. Only a handful of people could keep up with him when he put those attacks in. If we come to the conclusion that he was cheating based on the dominance of his attacks, how can you not also pass judgement on Boonen in 2011?

I think Gaimon has some good insights about the professional peloton, but this isn't any better than a bunch of guys behind keyboards watching grainy youtube videos and deciding he is guilty based on a hunch.

If he were regularly at the sharp end of the cobbled classics, I'd put more stock in his thoughts on this.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 PM

I am sure the bike hanging on his garage is very much the same one ☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-10-2017, 09:58 PM

If such a bike did exist it got the Hoffa treatment long ago.

If I were Cancellara I’d tell the UCI to get the press team to come up w a better name without the ‘doping’ in it. Lets start a thread on suggestions & ban motor doping.

Mechanical assistance?

Battery assist?

Power assist?

Watts on demand?

Fake FTP? Hey whats your FFTP w the new bike?

If I get that hi cap battery my FFTP is going cause Strava to meltdown.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I am sure the bike hanging on his garage is very much the same one ☝️

https://youtu.be/NY6_98v9fcY?t=349

I mean, I don't think he's been clean his whole career as far as pharma doping. But, I don't buy this motorized cheating story. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Are you suggesting that the real bike he used (with the motor) is sitting at the bottom of some pond in Northern France?

Until I see some actual evidence, I'll still consider this a conspiracy theory.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 PM

It seems, a reasonable deduction, that if someone with an tainted article that would, perhaps, bring upon incriminating evidence, not to keep the evidence at hand?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 PM

Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post

So, for sure Cancellara's max power for an attack is beyond what Gaimon could imagine. "his accelerations don't look natural at all" Indeed. Only a handful of people could keep up with him when he put those attacks in. If we come to the conclusion that he was cheating based on the dominance of his attacks, how can you not also pass judgement on Boonen in 2011?
Exactly. Plenty of supposed or admitted dopers have had break away accelerations even at some hefty altitudes well into lengthy stages. And they're not being suspected of motors back then. The motors have to be small to fit in the tubes so probably low HP, relatively low torque. High torque would be needed for breakaway accelerations. The motors would provide constant supplemental power.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Great way to sell more books though.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Never underestimate the power of mini marshmallows.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:44 AM
ergottWheels

You can't compare 1hr time trial numbers with the final 50k or whatever of a classics race. If you can duplicate those numbers at the end of a race you didn't hit the time trial with all you got.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I think Gaimon has some good insights about the professional peloton, but this isn't any better than a bunch of guys behind keyboards watching grainy youtube videos and deciding he is guilty based on a hunch.
You would have to be an idiot not to think Cancellara wasn't doping along with everyone else but this is the deep insider knowledge Gaimon brings to the table: He watched some old Youtube videos and a guy who likely dropped two bags the night before and has thighs as big as my waist pulls away quickly when he gives it the beans so it must be a tiny motor? Next up, Gaimon determines criminality based on the shapes of people's skulls or the bumps on their heads.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:54 AM

A little bit better article

http://road.cc/content/news/232071-u...ian-cancellara

I read Gaimon's comment as more of a funny reflection than something that he thought would lead to an autopsy on a retired race bike. It's not a definitive accusation - the use of the word "probably" rules that out. And I don't think that the UCI is going to do anything. These reporting websites are also trying to snag readers by making more of the story than it is.

However, there is a bit of difference in terms of credibility between Gaimon and the rest of us keyboard jockeys: he was actually in the pro peloton for a number of years. If you ask me who I would believe about goings-on in pro bike racing (some random person on a cycling forum or a recently retired pro), I would lean toward the pro. Being a pro does not make him infallible, but I would tend to believe him versus the collective "us" if he were being serious (which I don't think he is).

Sure he's trying to sell books, and funny is his thing. The piece from his book is a half-hearted swipe and an effort to get laughs.

Here's another version of the same story:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/la...-by-uci-358390