Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 09:10 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Anyone ridden up Mount Umunhum yet?

And if so, how does it compare to Hamilton and Diablo? Been wanting to give it a try, but I now see that they closed some of the upper area around the radar tower due to problems with lead paint. Well, as long as I can still get a view of the Pacific, I'm giving it a shot.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Yup, couple times on the pavement and the dirt route.

Assuming you do the Hicks side combined, it is most definitely the hardest climb in the bay area (FIETS of 8ish - puts it solidly in the top 100 in the US, Diablo is 5.6ish, Hamilton is 5.5ish) That's to the end of the real climb, it has a bit of flat and down after that, then a final kicker to the radar tower which adds another mile or two.

The difficulty mostly reflective of how steep it is: 5 miles @ 10% average with bits of 15-20% in there.

I was joking every LBS in the area was out of big cassettes the day after it opened.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
And if so, how does it compare to Hamilton and Diablo? Been wanting to give it a try, but I now see that they closed some of the upper area around the radar tower due to problems with lead paint. Well, as long as I can still get a view of the Pacific, I'm giving it a shot.
I've done it a couple of times, most recently today. You can still ride up to the vista point next to the radio tower, but a small perimeter around the radio tower is closed. You'll have fabulous views of the bay as well as the ocean.

It's about a 2000-ft climb with grades approaching 15%. But the worst part is the climb up Hicks Rd which is even steeper, but thankfully it's not as long. Also, you'll need to make sure your brakes are in good condition because the descent is fast.

I would say that it's a tougher climb than both Diablo and Hamilton because of the steeper grade, but it's definitely worth doing.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:42 AM

Yup.

Did the gravel trail and then the dirt. Not super technical, just steep.

We cut our ride short due to losing sun but it was 6,100 ft of climbing. Word from the wise BRING A LOT OF WATER. There’s nowhere to refill
Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Thanks, guys. Finally got a chance to try Umunhum yesterday. Holy crap, you weren't kidding about Hicks Rd.! It was worse than the entire rest of the ride combined. Made it to the post-apocalyptic summit, but definitely have to get some lower gears before doing this again. My brother was struggling with 39x27 and I was still feeling it pretty good with 34x25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallum.jpg (110.8 KB, 181 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Congrats!

Now you're ready to take a gravel bike and go over Priest Rock/Woods from from Lexington and then to the Umunhum summit - that has solid 35-40% bits.

(I have never cleaned the whole thing on my gravel bike.. some day!)
Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Congrats!

Now you're ready to take a gravel bike and go over Priest Rock/Woods from from Lexington and then to the Umunhum summit - that has solid 35-40% bits.

(I have never cleaned the whole thing on my gravel bike.. some day!)
Umm...I'll think about it.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:42 PM

I did it last Saturday via the miserable side of Hicks. 41 miles, 5000' from Campbell to the top and back home. 34x25 and 34x28 for the bulk of the climb plus a lot of tacking to help lessen the grades. I'm so out of shape but the view at the summit was worth it. In addition to the two bottles I wore a 50oz Camelbak since there is no water after Los Gatos. My victorious Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich kept me motivated the whole way up.

Combining Hicks with Umunum is much harder than Diablo or Hamilton. Well maybe if you did Quimby then Hamilton. It's up there with Bohlman/On Orbit and Welch Creek.

There were many vehicles going up and down so something to be weary of on the weekend. On the trip back down I saw several other cyclists going up. Some very fast, others looked like I did, beat up and just taking it one pedal stroke at a time.

When I got home I noticed the bar tape had unravelled under my right hand.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:48 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Combining Hicks with Umunum is much harder than Diablo or Hamilton.
Yeah, I was thinking this would be more like Diablo or Hamilton. Imagine my surprise! I was shocked when I hit the steep sections on Hicks as I thought the climbing wouldn't really begin until I hit Mt. Umunhum Rd.. Live and learn. I admire the view you had. Yesterday everything was fogged in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fog.jpg (119.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the thread and the pics...although I don't live in your part of the world any more, it is home and I enjoyed the memories...