Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Only the E5 that I have experience

Fellow who bought mine in 05 is still riding many miles every year, I has it for when I was traveling alot in USA for work and took it along. Cheap for what it was (rode nice) and frame was easily and inexpensive to replace, I still have my steel and my ti which I did not want to "subject" to multi weeks in a hotel in a city. I do miss the E5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . about finite service life of aluminum.

I have a Specialized S-works E5 bike from 2003 and just got back from restoration my 1984 Vitus 979, of which I'm the original owner.

Is there any way to judge the "service life" of these frames? Does the service life have to do wih how much they've been ridden, or is it just the properties of the frame material itself?

Also does it have anything to do with corrosion or what conditions the bikes were ridden in? While I did ride my Vitus in the rain, I did the huge majority of riding in Oklahoma in summer months and out in northern California, again only in nice weather.

For we aluminum bike owners . . . do we need to worry about our frames cracking, or give them closer inspections once they are of a certain age? My Vitus will be my nostalgia and show bike. I'm not planning to ride it hard or long. But the S-works is a great riding, stiff frame that really gets up and goes when I stand on it. Do I seriously need to worry about it breaking under use at 9 years old?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this . . .

BBD
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . about finite service life of aluminum.

I have a Specialized S-works E5 bike from 2003 and just got back from restoration my 1984 Vitus 979, of which I'm the original owner.

Is there any way to judge the "service life" of these frames? Does the service life have to do wih how much they've been ridden, or is it just the properties of the frame material itself?

Also does it have anything to do with corrosion or what conditions the bikes were ridden in? While I did ride my Vitus in the rain, I did the huge majority of riding in Oklahoma in summer months and out in northern California, again only in nice weather.

For we aluminum bike owners . . . do we need to worry about our frames cracking, or give them closer inspections once they are of a certain age? My Vitus will be my nostalgia and show bike. I'm not planning to ride it hard or long. But the S-works is a great riding, stiff frame that really gets up and goes when I stand on it. Do I seriously need to worry about it breaking under use at 9 years old?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this . . .

BBD
Hi BumbleBeeDave, don't worry about your Specialized, I'm sure it's fine. The reason most rack bikes were/are built with AL isn't because it's light, it's because it's cheap to manufacture with. So in order to make sure your bike will be safe long into the future they build in a large safety margin. And that brings me back to my main point. Once you build in that large safety margin you are no longer taking full advantage of what I think is AL's most attractive attribute, light-weight.

Although I wouldn't worry about your Specialized I think it's a good idea to inspect any bike regularly. It's a good excuse to wash it. That way you get your hands on every part of the bike and check for damage, failure or loose fasteners.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Hey Carl,

Besides corrosion resistance, are there any other reasons to go with stainless over other higher end steel tubing? How do you like stainless as a frame material?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
Hey Carl,

Besides corrosion resistance, are there any other reasons to go with stainless over other higher end steel tubing? How do you like stainless as a frame material?
Hi Mossman, I like stainless as much as any steel, but no more. It is corrosion resistant and that can be nice in certain regions. It also allows for an unpainted frame which can cut down on weight a tiny amount as well as worrying about damaging a finish. Other than that, I clump it in with all the other steels as far as performance is concerned.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Looks like Carl has the new shop up and running!!!

https://www.facebook.com/strongframes

William
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Easy to miss the first time around, but I really dig the curved seat stays on this rig.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...3&postcount=22

William
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM

agreed. swoopy stays are gorgeous/sexy and i asked for the specifically on my frame. carl is an amazing builder and i've never been on a nicer bike.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Spotted Carl's twenty year anniversary head badge on FB. That looks awesome Carl!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strong headbade.jpg (60.7 KB, 535 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Spotted Carl's twenty year anniversary head badge on FB. That looks awesome Carl!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

William
Thanks William. The badge was done by Mike Cherney of Ibis "Handjob" and "Toe Jam" fame. He really knocked it out of the park.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM

carl,
congrats on 20 years! can you comment on the first bike pictured on your bikerumor interview?

thanks,
WL
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks WL.

The blue bike I built about two years ago. It's one of the first Di2 bikes I did. It's a titanium road race frame with Dura Ace Di2, internal wiring, battery in the post, enve cockpit and wheels. It also features an oversized headtube and tapered fork. The finish is liquid paint and the decals are bare titanium showing through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
carl,
congrats on 20 years! can you comment on the first bike pictured on your bikerumor interview?

thanks,
WL
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Carl, question for you... Does liquid paint show the welds better than powder coating? On my dirt road rig, we had it powder coated by Spectrum but those welds are hiding. Seems like a shame to hide them

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ht=carl+strong

mIKE
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM

my frame is fragile liquid paint. the welds are there, but not super detailed. seems ti is the way to go to really show off carl's skill in the welding...
Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM

Yes, liquid paint is thinner and will show the welds more. That is why builders prefer liquid on lugged frames. It allows them to maintain the sharp lug lines everyone likes so much.

The upside to the powder is that's a lot more durable then liquid. With the quality of finish you can get from modern powders, for a TIG frame, there is little reason not to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkinson4 View Post
Carl, question for you... Does liquid paint show the welds better than powder coating? On my dirt road rig, we had it powder coated by Spectrum but those welds are hiding. Seems like a shame to hide them

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ht=carl+strong

mIKE
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator

I see Carl has some Strong jerseys available for a short time...

http://www.voler.com/custom/ordering/li/3109

William