Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
I must say, if you can deal with the bad front shifting and loss of 1 cog, SRAM 10 still has a great cost/weight ratio. Force 10 is a pound lighter than R7000 and half a pound less than R8000.
I was just down in my garage sorting out parts. I have enough SRAM 10 speed stuff to build three more bikes and still have the odd spare. That's in addition to the six or seven other bikes I have built up with SRAM Red/Force/Rival 10 speed.

I have dipped my toes into SRAM and Shimano 11 speed, the latest foray being eTap. To be honest, I can't really justify swapping everything over to 11 speed just yet based on performance. Since most of my bikes are from the 2006-2012 era, 10 speed is fine with me.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
still have a NOS 1993 Mantis Profloater and nearly new Rockshox Judy XC with 1" steerer uncut that I think I will build up and ride one day.
Still use Time TVT pedals on my 2nd bike which means I have a second pair of shoes with the cleats to ride them. My Gravel bike has some of these on it. Plenty of other examples but my main ride is Etap 11S Carbon goodness. I swing both ways.

Wow... a Mantis pro floater is on the rare side of things.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Wow... a Mantis pro floater is on the rare side of things.
that's a blast from the past.i had actually forgotton I owned one of those.it was the coolest shade of green kind of green pearl.just recall I waited along time to get it and sold it after I rode a pro flex that was no where near as sexy but a better all around bike at the time.maybe 1995?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:15 AM

No.

1 inch threaded steerers still rule the roost!

Me loves my internal square taper bottom brackets.

10-speed Campy rules.

Fat tires/shmat tires. 700-20's and 23's are where it's at. Inflate to the highest number on your bike pump.

Garmin? What the eff is that?

Cyclocomputer ? I rocked an Avocet 4 function speedometer/clock/odometer/average pace back in the day, but now use nada.

Aluminum ergo bars ... yup.

Minimal carbon fiber... yup.

I compromised on clip in pedals.

You guys can have all the new gee gaws that come out. Not interested in internal cable routing, electronic shifting, compact geometry frames, carbon fiber everything, integral seat posts, goofy integral stems, 12 speed, 1x, 40 tooth cassettes, disc brakes, etc.,...

Last edited by old_fat_and_slow; 09-21-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:24 AM
50 bpm

Me.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
still have a NOS 1993 Mantis Profloater and nearly new Rockshox Judy XC with 1" steerer uncut that I think I will build up and ride one day.

Still use Time TVT pedals on my 2nd bike which means I have a second pair of shoes with the cleats to ride them. My Gravel bike has some of these on it. Plenty of other examples but my main ride is Etap 11S Carbon goodness. I swing both ways.
Wow. I had those bars in 1993....

Surprised they haven't been updated for the #groad crowd!

Also had a Mantis Profloater - great bike - wish I had pics from back in the day. I was like 18 when I found one, probably on eBay. Spent college loans money on it no doubt. My bike lust problem runs deep, wide, and long.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 10:57 AM

I enjoy every trend, fad, boom, every pointless crab-walk of the bike market, every dumb proprietary thing, every excuse to throw a leg over and pedal.

I rode the original 8sp integrated road group this morning, 11sp IGH last night, am parts swapping 11sp mech for 11sp electronic this weekend, and 2 days ago began the decommissioning the our 26's to add the XO and XTR to the kids bikes, because they've outgrown the 6 and 7sp grip shift stuff!

With bikes, I harbor no regrets.

My toolbox, my parts bin and my rides are a map of my life.

Plus, it's totally unnecessary to be frustrated with tech in such an amazing used market.

Empty your bin into the classifieds.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Picchio View Post
Snip:

Well shame on you. Nothing rides better than a lugged steel frame with modern parts. As for contact points, nothing prevents you from using whatever newfangled saddle and pedals you run. Soma Highway 1 is a great 26.0 modern shaped bar. If you want a 31.8, Nitto makes a great quill stem in 31.8 diameter (UI-12).
Yeah, I have to second this. From a Kirk rider, it must be noted that the lugs actually enable lighter tubes, and a lighter overall frame. A CK headset works beautifully on a 1”steerer, and very importantly, a steel fork has infinite rake possibility. Thus your frame doesn’t have to be designed around a stock fork, and the whole frame/fork is optimized for you. It’s pretty subtle , but also pretty great. I don’t regret my modern steel frame in the slightest!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I love my 26in rigid and hardtails. They bring me lots of fun and are nice to look at.
This is where my retrogrouch flares up: looks. My eye really likes pro race bikes from the 80s and klunkers and the like. I appreciate people with the ability to be innovative in a retro weirdo way that looks great--Mister Dangerpants comes to mind.

I don't regret running 9 speed for as long as I did, but I am feeling like it's time to go back to 10 or 11.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Randomhead

My main road bike had friction 9 speed until a couple of years ago. Then one night, I was climbing a hill and just sort of ignoring the fact that the rear derailleur wasn't quite in gear. It let loose, and it took me almost 30 minutes to get back rolling again because the chain got stuck behind the chainwheel somehow. My regret was that I had parts sitting on my workbench to go to 10 speed indexed shifting and I hadn't installed them. Same thing happened before that, I had a compact crank sitting on my workbench and I was still using a vintage Campanolo SR crank with a 44 tooth small chain ring. When I put a 11-26 cassette on my bike, I thought it was capitulating to old age, kind of like agreeing to go to the nursing home. Now I realize we were stupidly over-geared BITD. And I have also come to the realization that I'm old.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
This is where my retrogrouch flares up: looks. My eye really likes pro race bikes from the 80s and klunkers and the like. I appreciate people with the ability to be innovative in a retro weirdo way that looks great--Mister Dangerpants comes to mind.

I don't regret running 9 speed for as long as I did, but I am feeling like it's time to go back to 10 or 11.
Early team stumpjumpers(the pink team bike) look good!
Old 09-21-2019, 01:06 PM

I like older frames but prefer if they have something unique about them. Always horizontal top tubes. Friction shifting is great but I like ergo and STI as well.

As for the original question: I must have three bags of 7400/1/2 downtube shifter parts. Boy do they look good... and boy are they terrible!
Old 09-21-2019, 01:18 PM

My bad lower back finally drove me to a FS 29er in 2015 and yowza what a change over the Litespeed softail 26er! Now that bike gets a lotta use as the dropbar "monstercross" but the 29er gets the MTB rides.

I bought a used CAAD10 in 2017 that was my first bike with integrated shifter/brakes, all previous were barcons. Now I have all four dropbar bikes set up with STI.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:01 PM

Spent way too much time scrounging up parts and figuring out Syncro shift compatibility for an early 90s Campy build. Why? Cuz it’s shiny and pretty. Rode around for a few months before I said eff this ghost shifting, cog limiting, kinda braking crap.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:30 PM

I’ll take anyones older lugged steel frames in larger size