Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 11:18 AM

Wisconsin Road Riding: A Follow-Up

Recently I posted a thread about tires for use on packed limestone trails in Wisconsin. I made the trip, although it was modified from the original plan to ride in southwestern Wisconsin. Instead, I rode in central (around Wausau) and northern (St. Germain/Boulder Junction) Wisconsin.

I did not ride on any of the limestone trails, although I did some riding on the paved Heart of Vilas County trail between St. Germain and Manitowish Waters. Otherwise the riding was on county trunk roads.

The bike trail provides about 50 miles of paved trail through forest and along county roads. Very nice riding with limited bike traffic on the trails and lights road traffic. One of the images below is an example of the bike trail the other the country roads. On the roads, vehicles gave me a wide berth, passing well to the left: they must not see much bike traffic. The combination of light traffic and accommodating drivers was a welcome change from the riding I do in northern California. Even though I live in a rural area, the traffic is considerably more here than in northern Wisconsin. I liked it. For mid-September, the weather seemed a little warm, but there was one fall day with a bit of rain that did not stop my riding.

Doing some riding there was part of a decision making process of if we should move to Wisconsin. I was satisfied that riding, weather permitting, is very desirable in this part of the country. The only drawback I saw was a larger number than expected of ATV's on the county roads. Not sure what to make of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1516.jpg (115.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1520.jpg (89.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1515.jpg (128.2 KB, 180 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Sounds like a good trip. Hard to advise on a move as that's highly personal. Most people don't move to Wisconsin, especially rural Wisconsin. Riding weather is great from about April 1 through Thanksgiving with the shoulder months being cool, but ridable. Winter is usually spent off the roads.

I grew up in Appleton, at the northern end of Lake Winnebago and found the riding to be pretty good but I had no point of reference either. Went to college in Minnesota and in the 1980s gravel riding wasn't a thing, at least not for me and I found that the number of unpaved roads in Minnesota to be a negative. Those same rural roads in Wisconsin would have been paved.

Western Wisconsin, especially the southwestern quadrant, is crisscrossed with some of the best riding I've ever done outside of the great riding in France and Switzerland. The roads are quiet and rolling and never boring. In general, I miss Wisconsin riding and that's not just nostalgia. I still ride with a friend in River Falls, just east of St. Paul but across the border into Wisconsin and the riding is actually better than most other places I've been in the US.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:33 AM

Very nice. I took my road bike with 25mm tires on the Utepils Gran Fondo in Minneapolis. It was advertised as having some gravel sectors, but they actually meant more crushed limestone and dirt roads. It was fine. I'd say 28mm to 32mm slicks would be ideal on that terrain. My road bike has rim brakes and I don't think it will clear 32s.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Classics Fan

You know California is getting bad when people start considering Wisconsin!

Just kidding. I've heard from multiple people that Madison is among the best places to live (if you can handle winters). It would be on my list of places explore if I were looking to relocate.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
You know California is getting bad when people start considering Wisconsin!

Just kidding. I've heard from multiple people that Madison is among the best places to live (if you can handle winters). It would be on my list of places explore if I were looking to relocate.
Winters are absolutely no worse than New Hampshire.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
The only drawback I saw was a larger number than expected of ATV's on the county roads. Not sure what to make of that.
in the winter, it will be snowmobiles (i.e. snow machines, or sleds).
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM

I lived in madison for 5 years in grad school. Best place for riding I've ever been, the cycling community is excellent, and the city is great. I'd move back in a heartbeat if there were jobs for us there (always keeping an eye out).

Racing scene is great as well if that is your thing (MTB, CX, and road).
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Winters are absolutely no worse than New Hampshire.
100% true. I grew up in upstate NY.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I lived in madison for 5 years in grad school. Best place for riding I've ever been, the cycling community is excellent, and the city is great. I'd move back in a heartbeat if there were jobs for us there (always keeping an eye out).

Racing scene is great as well if that is your thing (MTB, CX, and road).
I'm amazed at how "normal" cycling is around Madison. From personal experience, the frequency I see other cyclists is on par with what I experienced in DC/NoVA, except the latter has about 8x the population of Madison and surrounding area. At least four out of the 20 or so houses on my block have a road or MTB.

The rail to trail system is extensive, and I've finally gotten around to building up my travel bike, so I can ride on the trails.

I'm here b/c my partner is here for school (and by school, we all know that we are referring to Wisconsin-Madison). I really hope that she could find a job in the area after graduation.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Friend of mine just went on vacation to Madison for a wedding and to hang out. Said the cycling infrastructure and participation were both REALLY good! Sounds awesome. Too far from the waves for me unfortunately (or any big mountains to enjoy winter the way I like to!)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I'm amazed at how "normal" cycling is around Madison. From personal experience, the frequency I see other cyclists is on par with what I experienced in DC/NoVA, except the latter has about 8x the population of Madison and surrounding area. At least four out of the 20 or so houses on my block have a road or MTB.

The rail to trail system is extensive, and I've finally gotten around to building up my travel bike, so I can ride on the trails.

I'm here b/c my partner is here for school (and by school, we all know that we are referring to Wisconsin-Madison). I really hope that she could find a job in the area after graduation.
A joke that floated around my department when I was in grad school was that Madison has the most well educated cab drivers, barista's and restaurant servers in the country. It's pretty accurate. People come for the education, fall in love with the place, and stay using any means necessary.

I also saw Spartacus out riding one day when he was in town for a Trek event. I tried desperately to catch up. Was not successful.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 PM

I rode the trails in Vilas County when they were new. How have they held up?
With all the trees, I fear root heaves may have taken their toll.
All in all, a very nice area.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:04 PM

I know a guy that lives in Platteville and the photos he posts from his rides on Strava are fairly incredible. No super epic vistas like those out west, but there are plenty of dreamy photos taken from nearly-deserted roads that go out into the wilderness.

I've done some riding out by Chequamegon and it's perfect stuff.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM

I live on the far west side of Madison; the doorstep to some of the best riding in the country. I love it.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Lived a couple of streets away from and worked with Saab's parents as he was growing up and we connected through the world of cycling. I think he left a 531 Peugeot I sold him in a dumpster in Switzerland

Good riding here; great in terms of access (10 min and I'm on rural roads) traffic is relatively good, roads are good-very good. I do miss longer climbs and mountains, but I get to ride a lot without a huge time investment to get somewhere.

The "up-north" riding in the OPs post is really amazing (although you have big chunks or territory with amazing roads but without cell service if you need a ride home -- but there are quite a few bars with pay phones)

Just had a fellow biathlete do 50 miles (!) of rollerskiing on those county trails over a day and a half.

Madison is much like the People's Republic of Boulder; pricey to live, politically quite different than most of the rest of the state, great food and lots of folks on bikes.

And lots of fat-bikers in the winter