Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Just want my appreciation for Kirk007's posts to be noted.

Thank you, sir.
Hear hear, some of the most cogent information I've read on the topic. Thank you.

Last edited by Llewellyn; 09-21-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Personally I did not do my part yesterday and today I will work on making better choices

To touch a bit on the subject of children...One of my children goes to a STEM based high school. There are many unique aspects of this school that leads by example. A couple that stick out:

When she applied for admission one of the assigned essays was to answer “what would you do with $5000 to make an improvement for the world?” She struggled because there was so much and to her she needed more than $5000.

One of the most notable when you walk into the building is a bold display of the UN’s 17 sustainable goals. It is not just a display and the school encourages the entire community, the staff, the student body, their families, the surrounding community to embrace the goals.

As a parent I’m grateful for the leadership and awareness the school provides. They are helping to shape people that are on the path to come up with solutions and infect the change to improve...all of us.

I’m thinking about some of the ways I could be better today to help make my positive impact.

Off now to go ride...my one carbon fiber bike I’ve had for a couple of years now. I do have one other bike an old Miyata which was a replacement for my first bike that was stolen and bought that one with the money I earned from my first job delivering news papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 07:20 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Not only has the United States of America totally abdicated its role in world affairs,
Since we're talking politics... Isn't that what the population of the US has wanted since the 19-teens? ...and likely before

The rest is virtue signaling

Yawn. Wake me up when something important is going on.

M
Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The deniers will never be convinced otherwise though. They are trenched in real good. So it does seem like it's awareness for the sake of those who are aware. And really what this action does is put the deniers in even deeper, the back fire affect. But if it does manage to bring a few over who are on the fence then it's a good thing.

Could say the same thing for the 'believes'...
Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Could say the same thing for the 'believers.
Except many/most ‘deniers’, lacking any real ideology, deny because it either lines their pockets or keeps them in ‘the big chair’...
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Except that there are no "believers" in this topic. There are deniers (those who refuse to accept what has scientific consensus) and those who accept scientific consensus and the scientific process.

The Earth isn't flat my friend. But it's not "round" either at least not perfectly. It's a oblate ellipsoid. But I can tell you an oblate ellipsoid is much, much closer to "round" than it ever will be to flat.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Before the energy from yesterday's activities starts to fade...

Here's a good piece to skim through.

Have a Chase account?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...-warming-burns
Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Just want my appreciation for Kirk007's posts to be noted.

Thank you, sir.
I believe this calls for a plus one +1

I applaud the protestors. I ‘facilitated’ protests yesterday in my city, as part of my professional role, and felt I was doing a good thing
Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
No not really because it's not a matter of belief. I bet for example you vaccinate your children right? I mean, maybe not but I am going to assume you do. if so then why? Why do you vaccinate your children? Because a really lot of smart people did a really lot of hard work in science and medicine and found out ways to tackle these problems that worked. So you don't "believe" vaccines work, you know they do.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Except many/most ‘deniers’, lacking any real ideology, deny because it either lines their pockets or keeps them in ‘the big chair’...
I am not attempting to cloe this thread so I will tread lightly. What I see is that a certain political group, the ones who truly do profit from it, and thier big corporate backers have successfully married together culture war attributes so that today if I come out with a statemnet about gay rights then it also means I am for climate change action and I'm commin' to take yer guns.

So it's not that people in general don't 'believe' in climate change it's just that it's tied to the liberal agenda so they cannot support it.

I appologize if this goes beyond forum rules but I am just stating what I see.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:21 AM

As I posted on VS, it doesn't matter whether you believe in climate change or not. We are taught to leave things better than we find them. The same applies to the planet we call home. The strike should be seen as a gentle reminder to us all to take a moment to reflect and think about what you can do to leave Earth in better shape for the next generations to come. It is not political; it is basic human decency.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
The strike should be seen as a gentle reminder to us all to take a moment to reflect and think about what you can do to leave Earth in better shape for the next generations to come. It is not political; it is basic human decency.
Baby Boomers as a whole would like to vehemently disagree with this statement.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Since we're talking politics...
My statement was a factual one, not a political one. At the same time, it is impossible to have this conversation without implicating political penumbras.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I am not attempting to cloe this thread so I will tread lightly. What I see is that a certain political group, the ones who truly do profit from it, and thier big corporate backers have successfully married together culture war attributes so that today if I come out with a statemnet about gay rights then it also means I am for climate change action and I'm commin' to take yer guns.

So it's not that people in general don't 'believe' in climate change it's just that it's tied to the liberal agenda so they cannot support it.

I appologize if this goes beyond forum rules but I am just stating what I see.
Just divorce yourself from having to look to a political party or movement for identification, and you can support the truth wherever it appears, live your individual values, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Global population projection of 11,200,000,000 by the year 2100
Closed Thread