Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM
slower than you

Single mug sized French press. Keurig makers are the microwaves of the coffee world. Just wrong.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:07 PM
Randomhead

I use an Aeropress for my coffee. The rest of the family uses a keurig. If you have access to an industrial composting facility (like through work) there are compostable keurig pods. Your compost pile in the back yard will not do anything to them, unfortunately. Just like compostable bags.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:22 PM

Mr Coffee (Costco Dark Roast) + 1/2&1/2 + coconut oil and I'm set. My daughter has a Keurig and I like the taste as well, so guess I'm not that picky.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffin View Post
So, my wife just started a professional MBA and wants fast and easy coffee. I really hate the idea of Keurig, but don't have any great reasons other than the associated waste and thought of another small appliance. What should we do?
Different strokes. If it makes her life easier while she's working on her MBA and she's enjoying it, why would you want to 'correct' this behavior? Consider making some adjustments in other areas if your environmental sensibilities are violated by having a Keurig......
Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 PM

I bought my wife a Technivorm Moccamaster single serve to replace the keurig. It is basically an automated pour over. We are both happy with it. Only downfall is the 4 minute brew time. It is not so bad if you can get it started while you are doing something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 02:07 PM

You can get reusable pods for the Keurig
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-K-Se...04767251&psc=1

So that can eliminate some of the waste issues. Personally, I'm a French press kind of guy. Having a Keurig would enable me to drink too much coffee
Old 08-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
If she doesn't mind coffee that tastes like fresh butt then the Keurig is fine and dandy.

However, if she likes good coffee then get a good electric burr grinder and an automatic pour over brewer.

Will take 5-10 mins to grind and brew and will taste infinitely better, if not 100% like a purpose-made Chemex cup.
Keurig doesn’t taste like fresh butt. It tastes like overripe butt.

Nespresso is the king of pod coffee. Recycling is easy and it’s massively better coffee.

There are other suggestions that are good but for ease of use and a far clearer conscience and far superior coffee I’d go Nespresso.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:10 PM
Tired Member

First, no one else here is in your marriage, so choose to make her life better.

My minimum for coffee at home is beans ground at the store (not at the factory) and a Cuisinart steel carafe. I generally set it up at night with about 8 g of grounds per cup. It starts brewing at 4:45 so I have hot coffee when I wake up. The ss carafe will keep coffee warm for 24h, if necessary. Imo, this is a superior cup to Keurig, but as others have noted, that's not hard to do.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Keurig doesn’t taste like fresh butt. It tastes like overripe butt.

Nespresso is the king of pod coffee. Recycling is easy and it’s massively better coffee.

There are other suggestions that are good but for ease of use and a far clearer conscience and far superior coffee I’d go Nespresso.
Agree.

Have never had an honestly good cup of coffee from a Keurig.

My best guess about why they are so amazingly popular here in the USA is that people want a quick and easy dose of caffeine that's somewhat palatable... and don't really appreciate a pretty decent espresso.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:54 PM

I bought a nespresso for our office and while it’s pretty decent, it makes espresso, which is a different thing than just a regular cup of coffee. A lot of people avoid using it because it’s so strong and makes a small volume, and would prefer drip coffee or coffee from a keurig. The two are not really comparable so I don’t understand why people are saying to get one instead of a Keurig.

Also the nespresso pods aren’t cheap and none of the secondary brand ones are the recyclable aluminum kind.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Yeah, get a Nespresso. They recycle the pods, and the coffee is better. And then plant a few trees if you feel wasteful.
Joe’s or Boyd’s Keurig pods. Bio degradable and compostable. Good coffee too, imho.
If you think Keurig coffee is poor, get a better brand of coffee. The Keurig system, technology isn't rocket surgery. Hot water over coffee grounds...yikes. No, not espresso but doesn’t pretend they are. If ya want espresso, do to Vic’s coffee(or local equivalent )...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-01-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:28 PM

Bunn and done.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:41 PM

Keurig coffee doesn't taste very good and generates a bunch of unnecessary waste...

what other evidence would one need to not buy one...?
Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 PM

You will probably think I am crazy...

We always made drip at home but I would use a burr grinder as well buying very good organic coffee. But it was frustrating that sometimes the results were meh. I love good coffee and this was not cutting it.

On a whim we bought Starbucks instant via packs at Costco. Unbelievably, it is better than we were brewing and it is very consistent.

We have not looked back and a year later we are just as happy with it today.

It is absolutely worth buying a pack to try. Pro Tip: We stock up when Costco has it on sale. At one time we had a 6 month supply
Old 08-31-2019, 08:36 PM

Bonavita (current model is 19xx) is the best value out there. I've been using an 1800 for several years and it's a super solid machine. Comparable to a Technivorm, but much less expensive and most unbiased reviews will tell you the higher cost of the Technivorm doesn't get you better performance.

Couple it with a Baratza Encore. Buy great beans. The two will take up a bit of counterspace, but you can't have it all. I find the Baratza/Bonavita combo pretty quick from start to finish.

You can even put the big Chemex under the shower head of the Bonavita.

A top shelf electric kettle and a Clever dripper make an excellent cup as well, but no faster than the Bonavita and is single serve only.