Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 AM

4 hole Speedplay compatible with old Time cleats?

Do the 4 hole Speedplay screw holes line up with the old Time 2 piece, 4 hole (Equipe) cleats?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Yes. In the early 90's they were patterned after the Time bolt pattern. Then Time switched to the Look pattern..
Old 08-26-2019, 11:08 AM

When speedplay pedals first came out, the cleats (outer 2 layers) would bolt directly to Time 4 hole soles.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Great, so xlbs' cleats should fit.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:34 PM

You will need the card spade looking plastic plate as the cleats (front and rear) need to sit slightly lower than the pivot surface. Hole positioning is the same.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:29 PM

I have a pair of those time cleat spade-shaped spacers in hand, looking for an efficient way of translating them into a solidworks digital file so that I can have some 3D printed.

See here:
Low-stack Time Equipe Pro cleat adapters
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM

The need for adapters will depend on the specific shoes you want to mount Speedplay cleats to. Are they Time brand shoes? Or another brand? Modern 4 hole shoes are typically completely flat, and require no adapters. On Time Equipe shoes, the cleat pieces sat in recesses, so you'll need either the Time spade adapter, or I believe the Speedplay adapter kit for Sidi's Genius Time cleat plate will also work. I think I might have Speedplay adapter kit for Sidis in a box in my basement.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The need for adapters will depend on the specific shoes you want to mount Speedplay cleats to. Are they Time brand shoes? Or another brand? Modern 4 hole shoes are typically completely flat, and require no adapters. On Time Equipe shoes, the cleat pieces sat in recesses, so you'll need either the Time spade adapter, or I believe the Speedplay adapter kit for Sidi's Genius Time cleat plate will also work. I think I might have Speedplay adapter kit for Sidis in a box in my basement.

Having both a speedplay 4 hole shoe and a set of time cleats in hand, I believe the case to be the opposite of what you describe. The time cleats sit in recesses, so require a spacer in order to work with modern 4 hole flat sole shoes.

The spade spacer exists because some vintage 4 hole shoes were also flat soled.

The Time shoes and the Sidi adapter plates had the recesses built in and thus did not require the additional spacer. I have had both and know firsthand.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
Having both a speedplay 4 hole shoe and a set of time cleats in hand, I believe the case to be the opposite of what you describe. The time cleats sit in recesses, so require a spacer in order to work with modern 4 hole flat sole shoes.

The spade spacer exists because some vintage 4 hole shoes were also flat soled.

The Time shoes and the Sidi adapter plates had the recesses built in and thus did not require the additional spacer. I have had both and know firsthand.

I was referring to fitting Speedplay pedals to 4 hole soles (as the OP is wanting to do), not fitting Time cleats to 4 hole soles. The requirements for fitting Speedplay cleats will be opposite to fitting Time cleats , so I think we are in agreement: For modern flat soles, adapters required for Time cleats, but no adapters for Speedplay cleats; for soles with recesses, no adapters required for Time cleats, adapters required for Speedplay cleats..

Last edited by Mark McM; 08-27-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Do the 4 hole Speedplay screw holes line up with the old Time 2 piece, 4 hole (Equipe) cleats?

OP is asking about fitting old style time cleats to modern 4 hole shoes.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
OP is asking about fitting old style time cleats to modern 4 hole shoes.
Whoops, you're right!

The OP will need the spade adapter or similar.

Or, since there are far more 3 hole shoes today than 4 hole shoes, he could use Time's 3 hole Look adapter (adapts Time TBT cleats to 3 hole shoes).

A company in Salem Oregon claims to have both the spade adapter and the 3 hole adapter:

http://sscycleworks.com