Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Question about MIPS helmet (Giro Savant) and bandana

I have a Giro Savant MIPS which has been fine for me. I use a Halo Protex Bandana (https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-...ndana-p/pb.htm)

My q is if this is recommended for MIPS helmets. I really like the bandanas but could go to the headband if the bandana interferes with MIPS functionality. I have looked for instructions but no guidance on this. The bandana is very thin fabric and does allow the helmet to move on my head slightly.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Alan
Old 08-04-2019, 11:15 AM

I always wear a cap and hate the way my giro mips helmet feels and slides around with caps, I just went back to my old specialized non-mips helmet. no more slipping and sliding except for the uniform, smooth surface of the cap underneath. the mips only feels right with no headwear imo and even then its taller and makes you look more like a mushroom. with headwear it feel like it's clamping onto the cap and just small part of your skull and moves all around on the ride. it is my understanding that a bandana or a cap offers similar protection to mips, so if you have a mips helmet its best not to wear head covering.

caps are a slip plane. hair is a slip plane. I think mips is $$$ maker and fear mongering. if you read some manufacturers literature it even states not to wear other headgear with mips helmets. https://www.helmets.org/mips.htm

Last edited by cinema; 08-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:04 PM

I have a MIPs Bell and I always wear a cap with built in sweat band and its fine for me. Doesnt move around but I have a huge head, from what I hear.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:43 PM

could be my peanut head I wear a giro small