Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:44 PM

Just shut down the classifieds, or suspend it for a while

Let the moaning forum "member" deal with Ebay fees, pay pal fees, shipping fees, Canadian customs etc on his own dime. This isn't Amazon, it's a bunch of bike dorks exchanging goods for pennies on the $. If buying bike stuff puts you in a situation where you're eating catfood...consider this an intervention. The mods keep the rabble at bay for FREE.

If an item is for sale for $15 ....and you live in a different country ....well.....duh. learn to communicate
Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 PM

I have paid by check, wire transfer and PayPal. Good communication is what makes the classifieds here function for me.

This pp f/f has only come up a few times, and for the parts I really cared about, I asked the seller to use reg pp exactly so the shipping ins. would attach to the trans. Not a big negotiation, but people avoid math, so...

Negotiate for what you want, and let's keep the rule making to a minimum, please.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 PM

Only read the first page. my interpretation, Literal Bob has his panties in a bunch over a mole hill...but what do I know. As close to a bike Utopia that I have found.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:32 AM

How about: just don't buy it if you don't like the terms?

It's not saving baby seals from imminent death we're dealing with here. It's bike parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Just to add to this discussion, this is not the first time I have introduced this discussion. I believe there should be some written documentation in the Classified users sellers code.

How it affects buyers and me on the forum is they are no longer covered by the Payal Purchase / Buyer Protection because the seller is in violation of the Paypal policy and Paypal will not cover any losses.

Set your prices accordingly and quit trying to look like your giving your stuff away for next to nothing.

Thanks!

Last edited by 54ny77; 07-26-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
How about: just don't buy it if you don't like the terms?
Why the ignorant comment to shop elsewhere and why condone behaviour in disagreement with Classified section usage guidelines?

Can only it guess it is derived from the same mind set as the “IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY HERE, YOU CAN LEAVE!” baseless tweets?

Last edited by m_sasso; 07-26-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:33 AM

No. Of the last umpteen items I have bought from forum members over many years, I'd venture at least half were offered to be sold via Paypal. I don't use paypal. So instead, I offer fellow forum members a check, say wait to ship till it clears, take plenty of time, etc. Every single transaction I've ever done this way over the years has gone smoothly. Sometimes I forget I bought an item and it shows up a few weeks or a month or so later, which is great. Sometimes folks have shipped out an item before I mail a check. It's called trust & community.

And if helps frame it better, I don't buy from members who ask that the buyer use "friends and family" in sending funds via paypal. Not because I give a hoot about violating paypal policy, but because I figure if someone's cheap enough and stupid enough to do that kind of thing over what is often a trivial amount, I don't trust the quality of what he's selling (since there isn't any "buyer protection" if funds are sent in that manner, i.e., it doesn't have the protections of a commercial transaction) nor the ethics.

So yeah, if I'm not happy with what/how someone's selling, I just ignore it. It ain't rocket science.

And if I need something asap I go to the LBS.

and p.s., the veiled threats to mods/admins of "telling" paypal to read these classifieds to look into the forum as an agency relationship in allowing members to violate paypal user agreements? really? come on man, get over it. or go ride your bike. or smoke some weed if it's legal where you live. or drink good wine if you're of age. basically, just chill out. these are bike parts we're talkin' here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Why the ignorant comment to shop elsewhere and why condone behaviour in disagreement with Classified section usage guidelines?

Can only it guess it is derived from the same mind set as the “IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY HERE, YOU CAN LEAVE!” comments?

Last edited by 54ny77; 07-26-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

CUT

and p.s., the veiled threats to mods/admins of "telling" paypal to read these classifieds to look into the forum as an agency relationship in allowing members to violate paypal user agreements? really? come on man, get over it. or go ride your bike. or smoke some weed if it's legal where you live. or drink good wine if you're of age. basically, just chill out. these are bike parts we're talkin' here.
CUT
Wooo, asking the members, administrators and moderators why they tolerate rules breakage is along way from "threats to mods/admins of "telling" Paypal to read the classifieds" or threatening to ask Paypal to look at the Paceline as a colluding agency supporting members to circumvent the PaypalUA. At no time have I attempted to menace, intimidate or bully the "mods/admins". Now if you did suggest "terror" tactics as a motivational factor, I might agree with you here as I did suggest Paypal could initiate its own investigation and then where would we as a cycling forum stand.

If an expansive imagination puts you in a happy place, go for it! Really reads like you have imbibed in some of your own suggested medicine, enjoy!

Last edited by m_sasso; 07-26-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:01 AM

This thread is off its meds.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Alright. I think we're past the point of productive discussion on this topic.

Please everyone, use the classifieds section courteously, follow the rules and dont circumvent any policies for services you are utilizing.

Thanks,

it's the weekend!
Closed Thread

Tags
eggplant