Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Violation of Paypal User Agreement

Why do the Administrators and Moderators of this board continue to tolerate sellers in the Classifieds section of this forum violating the Paypal User Agreement? Every one has agreed to abide by the Paypal User Agreement if they chose to use the Paypal service.

If a seller is asking the buyer to pay the seller's fees - it's against PayPal's Policies - this is called a surcharge and it's clearly pointed out in the PayPal User Agreement. Easily referenced here https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...s/td-p/1324189

Please stop the practice of sellers asking buyers to pay the Paypal transaction fees now!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by m_sasso; 07-25-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:50 PM

What if the sellers price their goods 3% higher and say I'll cover the fees?
Old 07-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Agreed.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Why do the Administrators and Moderators of this board continue to tolerate sellers in the Classifieds section of this forum violating the Paypal User Agreement?
Breathe mr. sasso.

As a reminder, the classifieds section here is offered as a [free!!] service to our members to facilitate private transactions between parties. The admins here do not police every single ad, however it is called out in the classifieds rules to follow paypal's terms of service.

Secondly, i see zero problem with seller's requesting that they receive xxx dollars as a NET payment. if they expect to get 100 bucks for something, then they should make that clear that the buyer is responsible for putting 100 bucks in their pocket, whether through face to face cash, a personal check or some other money transfer service. it's simply a management of expectations. the nuance of who pays the "fees" is simply another way of requesting net payment. Paying through "good and services" for products transferred is the right thing to do.

Third - there are a LOT of users of the classifieds these days. that section was conceived as a place for friends to transact, not as an ebay or CL substitute. you are an adult with free will and complete control over your mouse clicks. if you dont like the way a seller is selling his stuff for sale - dont buy from them.

pretty simple.

Last edited by AngryScientist; 07-25-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 PM

You realize that's impossible for forum moderators to police right?
Old 07-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Why do the Administrators and Moderators of this board continue to tolerate sellers in the Classifieds section of this forum violating the Paypal User Agreement? Every one has agreed to abide by the Paypal User Agreement if they chose to use the Paypal service.

If a seller is asking the buyer to pay the seller's fees - it's against PayPal's Policies - this is called a surcharge and it's clearly pointed out in the PayPal User Agreement. Easily referenced here https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...s/td-p/1324189

Please stop the practice of sellers asking buyers to pay the Paypal transaction fees now!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Not sure if I agree since it seems like the great majority of sellers here are saying they’ll take PayPal good/services but the price will be higher to cover the fees. They’re not asking for PayPal only and then pricing higher, but rather said sellers can take other payment options that don’t have transaction fees for the recipient like zelle, PayPal friends/family, quickpay, Venmo etc.
Its not a violation of PayPal policy just to ask for a price and then say you can accept PayPal. It’s a violation of you require PayPal payment but then add the fee on top for what’s clearly a good or service.
I always price my items assuming payment will be made via PayPal goods and services but understand that some people like doing it the other way.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 PM

Just to add to this discussion, this is not the first time I have introduced this discussion. I believe there should be some written documentation in the Classified users sellers code.

How it affects buyers and me on the forum is they are no longer covered by the Payal Purchase / Buyer Protection because the seller is in violation of the Paypal policy and Paypal will not cover any losses.

Set your prices accordingly and quit trying to look like your giving your stuff away for next to nothing.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:02 PM

no.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Just to add to this discussion, this is not the first time I have introduced this discussion. I believe there should be some written documentation in the Classified users sellers code.

How it affects buyers and me on the forum is they are no longer covered by the Payal Purchase / Buyer Protection because the seller is in violation of the Paypal policy and Paypal will not cover any losses.

Set your prices accordingly and quit trying to look like your giving your stuff away for next to nothing.

Thanks!
Or just don't buy from people you're not comfortable buying from. This isn't as hard as you're making it.

wow.

also
Quote:
...I believe there should be some written documentation in the Classified users sellers code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The admins here do not police every single ad, however it is called out in the classifieds rules to follow paypal's terms of service.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Are you thinking....

Fees

I'm not sure I understand the concern over who pays the fees - assuming that the fees are paid by someone (Really, 10 exclamation points?). Sure, asking it to be sent as a gift is a bit over the line, but concern over who pays? I'm not seeing it.

When I sell, I will usually entertain three options - Pick up for cash (no fees), shipping and you pay with Zelle or some other bank sponsored option (no fees below $2k) or Paypal. PP is the only one of those three that charges me and I do not see it as unreasonable for me to be less excited about paying a 3% surcharge when you select Paypal when other payment processes are available that don't require it. And to have differential pricing, say $100 for cash/Zelle, but $103 for Paypal, or $100 "net to me"? That strikes me as a difference without a distinction versus a surcharge. And for buyers on this board, I'll happily take a check (for no additional fee beyond the stamp, which I'll split with you).

Just my $.02.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:11 PM

Cheapskates are so weird.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You realize that's impossible for forum moderators to police right?
Not impossible at all, a simple buyer/seller user code statement could easily cover the situation.

We don't allow people to sell non cycling related items in the classifieds, there is no magic wand that stops people from sometimes trying but the situation is covered in forum policy and policed by members and moderators.

Abiding by Paypal User Agreement policy should be mandatory, if you are going to just ignore it and tolerate it being broken, you will be soon be accused of collaboration.

Last edited by m_sasso; 07-25-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Not impossible at all, a simple buyer/seller user code statement could easily cover the situation.

We don't allow people to sell non cycling related items in the classifieds, there is no magic wand the stops people from some time trying but the situation is covered in forum policy and policed by member and moderators.

Abiding by Paypal User Agreement policy should be mandatory, if you are going to just ignore it and tolerate it being broken, you will be soon be accused of collaboration.
Payment is not handled on the forum though. It's easy to police what happens on the forum because its not on, yanno, PayPal's site. No one's advertising a bike here but is really selling an Apple iPad. If they are, that's some next level mind-meld with a buyer.

How's the mod supposed to watch over the buyer and sellers shoulder? Access to everyone's Paypal account? Signing that kind of statement would be as useful as the piece of paper Chamberlain came off the plane with from his trip to Berlin.
Closed Thread

Tags
eggplant