Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 06:06 PM

King manythings cage on underside of downtube

Just exercising my imagination here.

If I were to put a king manythings cage on the underside of the downtube (where the 3rd bottle cage usually goes) are there any design parameters I should keep in mind?

Crank clearance?
Calf clearance?
Cable routing issues?

Of course depends on frame but let’s say a mechanical frame with full length housing

My biggest concern is how big of an item could this placement of cage even fit

Last edited by jtakeda; 07-23-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Randomhead

at my size, 54 1/2-ish, I barely see the point of putting a water bottle under there. Something that needs an anything cage is going to hit the crank, probably. But you can try it out before you commit
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 PM

I just had a custom endurance 29er built with many thing mounts under the down tube.

Only consideration for me was clearing the chainring. I opted to mount as low as I could for CG considerations but have limited the use of the cage as such to narrower items. For most needs I would recommend just being able to clear your ring(s). If its hitting your cranks, your load is probably too wide anyway.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 PM

I’m thinking under the downtube might be dumb for my application, just being imaginative and thinking is this actually a bad idea?7
Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Haven’t tried the manythings but I run a regular King Ti under my downtube on my gravel bike in order to refill my other bottles. It’s saved my bacon more than once.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
Haven’t tried the manythings but I run a regular King Ti under my downtube on my gravel bike in order to refill my other bottles. It’s saved my bacon more than once.
the 3rd bottle cage is already happening. Just wondering doing I want to strap a nalgene under there?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Randomhead

the fork has a lot more potential in my view. I just built a fork with low rider mounts, rando rack mounts, and water bottle mounts (3 holes for anything cages). All of them can be used at the same time. There are forks with more capability than that, but probably not at the same time.

One thing I didn't say in my post above is that I almost always use fenders. If nothing else, the prevalence of horse drawn buggies makes that prudent. So if you don't, there is more room under the downtube.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
the 3rd bottle cage is already happening. Just wondering doing I want to strap a nalgene under there?
How about a Arundel Looney Bin? It fits a 32oz naglene securely and can be adjusted to fit other stuff you might want to carry (normal bottles, tool canisters).
Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
How about a Arundel Looney Bin? It fits a 32oz naglene securely and can be adjusted to fit other stuff you might want to carry (normal bottles, tool canisters).
Yes. The manythings was a catch all for larger cages. I’m just wondering if I should put an extra hole in the frame or no. Looks like no