Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 PM

Selling a bike...

This bike is already sold - went quick. Just wondering what people think is a decent price as the proposals were interesting. FYI, the price was $450 plus shipping. There were more (detailed) pics of the bike besides these.

Raleigh Merit Comp - size 52. Shimano 105 hydraulic (11-speed). I've upgraded and this has been sitting around for awhile. Some scrapes and scratches from leaning against walls, cable rub, etc, but never crashed dropped, etc.

Fork has not been cut. It's the same length that it was out of the box.

All is stock except-

Upgrades:

Cassette is a Dura-Ace 11-30

Seatpost is a focus carbon setback.

Handlebars are Ritchey Carbon Evo Curve (42). There are scratches on one of the sides of the drops of the bar, but there's no structural issues (and it's covered by bar tape).

Thru axles have been replaced with Bolt On axles (much lighter and more secure - use a 6 mm allen wrench).

Seatpost Clamp is now a Woodman clamp (weighs less and more secure).

I will include the stock seatpost, bars and thru axles with the bike.

Issue: Rotors are warped. I switched out to ashima rotors to save weight and from use and now sitting in my garage, they have warped. They're pretty minimalist and I'm not surprised. I am including the original shimano rotors with the bike (used on 2 rides before the switch), and the brake pads should be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (147.6 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (148.1 KB, 444 views)
Old 07-23-2019, 04:26 PM
cmg

i think they got a lot of bike for the dollar. i'm assuming the goal was to move the bike quickly rather than hold on and upset a spouse who hates seeing 2 bikes but that's just an assumption. nice deal
Old 07-23-2019, 05:26 PM

I have to agree... the issue lately is that market is so f-ed up that probably for like 750 was not going to sell, a lot of disc stuff, plus compete with old stuff being sold aswell...
Old 07-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Yeah - the market is flooded with used bikes, it's really soft right now. As for moving it quickly, I just wanted it out of my garage. I think it cost me about 1200 new and I used it for rain and winter riding. I never loved riding it as my other 2 bikes are sub-13 lbs and etap. I ended up putting in a low ball offer on ebay for a 2018 focus paralane etap and got a really good deal, so this would never be ridden again.

The thing is - out of the 15 or so inquiries I received over the 5 or 6 hours it was up for sale, 3 or 4 people asked if it was available and then offered between $250 and $350 and my only thought was, "Are you f---ing kidding me?"

The guy who got it bought it for his son and was easy to work with, even covered paypal fees when I didn't ask.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
The thing is - out of the 15 or so inquiries I received over the 5 or 6 hours it was up for sale, 3 or 4 people asked if it was available and then offered between $250 and $350 and my only thought was, "Are you f---ing kidding me?"
I sympathize with this. This has happened to me a few times over the past few years. I have something I want to move at, what I think, is a really good price. Then a few jerks low ball me. Really? Get lost.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I sympathize with this. This has happened to me a few times over the past few years. I have something I want to move at, what I think, is a really good price. Then a few jerks low ball me. Really? Get lost.

An outrageous lowball is a flyer taken by a buyer hoping for a miracle since after all one never knows what the seller really wants or needs

A somewhat reasonable lowball is signaling intent with a hope to negotiate

The buyer who pays the ask has been looking and doesn't want to lose the opty

It's a free market. Play the game and don't sweat it
Old 07-24-2019, 12:54 AM

I'm more annoyed by people on craigslist/facebook marketplace/whatever saying "interested!" or "is this still available?" followed by nothing else than I am by a lowball.

Last edited by jtbadge; 07-24-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:27 AM

decent bike for such price..and yeah had some experience when some folks offer you half of the price that you are asking for the bike. beyong me what answer they expect in return
Old 07-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
An outrageous lowball is a flyer taken by a buyer hoping for a miracle since after all one never knows what the seller really wants or needs

A somewhat reasonable lowball is signaling intent with a hope to negotiate

The buyer who pays the ask has been looking and doesn't want to lose the opty

It's a free market. Play the game and don't sweat it
Thanks for the advice. That's all new to me.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 AM

I think my favorite one ever came from a craigslist ad I had posted several years ago:

"This bike would be a perfect for me but the price is out of my range. Are you willing to negotiate?"

My response was to ask how it was a negotiation if my only option was to lower the price and get nothing in return.

No response. That bike also sold for my asking price.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Randomhead

I don't mind any offer, except from scammers. But my favorite ebay moment was when I got a message from someone with a lowball offer for my item saying he could get it cheaper from his Yamaha dealer (he couldn't). Best part was I had gotten my dream price buy it now the day before.

My favorite local CL ad was one for a tool chest. The title was Tool Chest $400 firm. The description of the item said something like, "no offers, but my take it or leave it price is $250." Now that's the new ask, and I'm sure he got offers for less than that.

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-24-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Thanks for the advice. That's all new to me.
CL is a morass...and to your point it is unbelievable the type of replies one might get. there are as many folks fishing without a sense of market value as there are who understand a reasonable price. I have had some recent success moving items on CL (saddles, wheels, floor storage racks) and the only way to really filter those who are serious is to talk to them on the phone.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Classics Fan

There is a subreddit called "Choosing Beggars" which provides humorous examples of such negotiations.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
CL is a morass...and to your point it is unbelievable the type of replies one might get. there are as many folks fishing without a sense of market value as there are who understand a reasonable price. I have had some recent success moving items on CL (saddles, wheels, floor storage racks) and the only way to really filter those who are serious is to talk to them on the phone.
My comment was sarcasm aimed at you.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:58 PM

I usually ignore lowball e mail offers but recently had to reply to someone offering me 1/2 of the asking price. I might have said, "is that what you think it's worth or is that all the money you have?". I just wrote- why? No response.