Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Does anyone have experience visiting France for the Tour?

I have been watching the TdF website and they have filled in some details in the last month or so but it's still a little mysterious to me.

We are going to France next week and are going to be in Paris for a day or two and then stay in Western Germany.

We are hoping to see the finish of Stage 5 in Colmar, I think that's < 1 hour drive from where we are staying.

They have some time estimates of times but they don't even list the addresses of the start/finish/intermediate points.

I can kind of tell from the map I guess where the finish actually is.

For a sprint finish what kind of time window do you need to actually get there and be able to stake out a position to see anything? (We'd actually probably fine not being right at the finish too.)
you'll find the finish on race day, no worries.

i've met the tour by accident 2 times in the alps, and there the motto is: run for your life and don't stop until you're at 2-3 valleys away from it; The race in itself is possibly in excess of 1000 cars not to mention the spectators. Makes the area of both the current and the next stage a nightmare to navigate.

To secure a spot where one can actually see anything, be prepared to show up early as in: hours, preferrably a day early, to see more than a 10 second whirl of colours wheezing by, be prepared to fight for your spot teeth and nails every minute. (this may not be as bad on the non-mountain-stages - more room)
Finish area locked down like a G7 summit, too. If the intention is to get close to some of the heroes, every single other pro race is to be preferred, as one can usually just walk in to the parc not-so-ferme, did so on a Tour de Suisse, we just walked in, watched Godevroot talking happily on a cell (possibly to his favourite bloodbank guy), stage-winners wives kissing stage-winners, bikes everywhere, most riders up for a quick exchange of words etc.

To get a whiff of *the* TdF, nothing like attending the real deal, of course

Last edited by martl; 06-27-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 AM

Do your family and yourself a favour, go to a start, much more enjoyable live.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:11 AM

We’re going to be a couple of hours away for part of July... and always wanted to go to Laguiole, where the knives are made, in the Aveyron. So, off to see stage 10, St Flour to Albi, about in the middle. We’ve taken a hotel room there, and the Tour goes right by. It will be great to see the tour, the pre-tour stuff, and all, but we’re also seeing the sights there, and taking our bikes and riding. Should be fun.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:12 PM
v a n i l l a

While it's also very cool to see favorite riders, sometimes a memorable experience comes from someone not in the spotlight.

A long time ago while folks were clamoring to talk to jens, fabian, andy I had a chance to talk to a then very young jakob.

the start will be a circus...but you might have a moment like this.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:35 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
We’re going to be a couple of hours away for part of July... and always wanted to go to Laguiole, where the knives are made, in the Aveyron. So, off to see stage 10, St Flour to Albi, about in the middle. We’ve taken a hotel room there, and the Tour goes right by. It will be great to see the tour, the pre-tour stuff, and all, but we’re also seeing the sights there, and taking our bikes and riding. Should be fun.
Laguiole: Contrary to popular thinking, the Laguiole is not a registered trademark for knife but a type of pocket knife named after the eponymous village in the Aveyron.

I have one of these and was always a bit confused by the use of the name laguiole
Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM

The first time we ever saw a stage of the Tour in person, we made the mistake of picking a flat stage. It took us more than an hour to get to where we could see the race and the riders flew by us in mere minutes. It was quickly over and we were a bit frustrated by the amount of effort it took to see so little. However, the wind that the riders were pushing and the smell of sweat and stench when they went by is still memorable.

We quickly learned that the best place to see a stage is on a decent climb and as close to the top part of a switchback as you can be. It's even better if that spot is close to a pub so that you can go watch the rest of the race in a bar once the peloton has gone by.

Texbike
Old 06-29-2019, 04:06 PM

To add on to OP's post. Very interested in any Paris specific advice. Will be in Paris with family over my birthday, which is the same day as the final stage.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Does anyone have experience visiting France for the Tour?

I have been watching the TdF website and they have filled in some details in the last month or so but it's still a little mysterious to me.

We are going to France next week and are going to be in Paris for a day or two and then stay in Western Germany.

We are hoping to see the finish of Stage 5 in Colmar, I think that's < 1 hour drive from where we are staying.

They have some time estimates of times but they don't even list the addresses of the start/finish/intermediate points.

I can kind of tell from the map I guess where the finish actually is.

For a sprint finish what kind of time window do you need to actually get there and be able to stake out a position to see anything? (We'd actually probably fine not being right at the finish too.)

Colmar is great!
Spend the day there!
I used to make a long bike ride on the stage route and to the top of the climb (usually Ballon d‘Alsace etc...) before they close the roads and then stay there with all people and watch the Pros climbing. Then return and nice dinner there.
BTW check out the region for the restaurants, they have many top restaurants, also with Michelin stars.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
To add on to OP's post. Very interested in any Paris specific advice. Will be in Paris with family over my birthday, which is the same day as the final stage.

If you want to be on the Champs-Élysées be early there!
Many many tourists on that day!

A nice spot is Rue de Rivoli. Always some brake away there and the whole peloton is stretched.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 AM
Byron

I was on Alpe d Huez in 2001.
Lance and Jan.
We rode up the day before.
And rode up with small packs the morning of the race.
After watching the sponsor parade past and throw freebies.
A Rabobank cap I still have.
The ride leader thought we would need food, water and shade.
I brought all, the shade provided by an umbrella.
When we made our way thru the 21 turns, our leader changed his mind.
We ended up at a ski resort bar with a deck up top in the village.
We drank beer all day, watched the bar tv, and went out to see the race end.
Took pics.
Headed down the hill on our bikes, some more intoxicated than others.
I sang my way down the descent to warn peds of a drunk on a bike behind.
I lost my newly purchased umbrella on the descent, but hey, I had no clue.
A day I will never forget.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:23 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
I was on Alpe d Huez in 2001.
Lance and Jan.
We rode up the day before.
And rode up with small packs the morning of the race.
After watching the sponsor parade past and throw freebies.
A Rabobank cap I still have.
The ride leader thought we would need food, water and shade.
I brought all, the shade provided by an umbrella.
When we made our way thru the 21 turns, our leader changed his mind.
We ended up at a ski resort bar with a deck up top in the village.
We drank beer all day, watched the bar tv, and went out to see the race end.
Took pics.
Headed down the hill on our bikes, some more intoxicated than others.
I sang my way down the descent to warn peds of a drunk on a bike behind.
I lost my newly purchased umbrella on the descent, but hey, I had no clue.
A day I will never forget.

Rode up the Alpe on race day 2003. Was run off the road near Dutch Corner by a Rabobank van. Lots of assistance and free beers offered. Finished the climb, got my certificate, ended up watching the race from under the 1k banner. Made it onto the DVD highlights as Mayo went by!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
If you want to be on the Champs-Élysées be early there!
Many many tourists on that day!

A nice spot is Rue de Rivoli. Always some brake away there and the whole peloton is stretched.
The time we went to the Champs without grandstand tickets was interesting. We got there at 8am and were too late. Everywhere was three or four deep along the fence except one spot near the US embassy. So I let my wife stand there and I could see over her pretty easy. But it would be 8 hours before the finish. Move an inch, and you lost that inch never to get it back.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:37 AM

If/when I get the opportunity to watch Tour in person I’ll probably just rent one of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 04:57 AM

my wife is an executive at cisco, and cisco is a dimension data partner. through that relationship, we ended up getting the ultimate hookup for stage 14.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...cyc1kyME1iZjN3 (be sure to hit the "info" button to see the captions)

i think this may have been the most amazing experience of our lives -- cycling or otherwise!

(as an aside, it's amazing how little americans in general know of the tour. when i told friends/family that we'd be attending, a majority asked me if i was racing )
Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
my wife is an executive at cisco, and cisco is a dimension data partner. through that relationship, we ended up getting the ultimate hookup for stage 14.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...cyc1kyME1iZjN3 (be sure to hit the "info" button to see the captions)

i think this may have been the most amazing experience of our lives -- cycling or otherwise!

(as an aside, it's amazing how little americans in general know of the tour. when i told friends/family that we'd be attending, a majority asked me if i was racing )

But, aside from the vip access, the chateau stay, riding with Cadel, the helicopter ride, and the great weather and racing, what has your wife’s company done for you lately? ;-)

Seriously, you win the jackpot tour experience, and thanks for putting that up for us. Just watching Le Tour from pretty much anywhere along the route with all the fans is still a great experience, but your added ‘dimensions’ were really fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk