Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I think the DA would like to have an easy case, too. They want to be sure that a jury wouldn't be persuaded that the car had some mechanical problem that could absolve the alleged perpetrator of the crime.
Such a canard.. the car must be the problem in like 0.00001% of accidents so better make sure there is no chance of that when an accident this egregious happens.

With such a modern car the black box/ECU can probably rule that out.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Such a canard.. the car must be the problem in like 0.00001% of accidents so better make sure there is no chance of that when an accident this egregious happens.

With such a modern car the black box/ECU can probably rule that out.
Yeah, I agree on that, but there are a lot of well-paid defense lawyers in the city.
I would bet that kid was texting, too; but they'd have to look at the phone records, which the police seem to be incapable of doing here.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Tired Member

And when you think the case is clear, stuff like this happens: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...ricks-charges/

And here's a little insight into the application of laws in NY: https://www.brooklynpaper.com/storie...-08-16-bk.html

It's no wonder the driver wasn't charged if they can't get a conviction on more serious negligent killings via automobile.

Last edited by tctyres; 08-15-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Quick notice from The Onion yesterday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B0E062A-4A48-48BF-A0D7-A2A69FB1C0FA.jpg (89.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Onion is always on point.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinois View Post
Quick notice from The Onion yesterday...
Well at least the cyclist's not accosting innocent bystanders just because he "had the light." (I hate barstool, but this vid is equal parts hilarious and depressing)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MLNc5B..._web_copy_link
Old 08-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
And when you think the case is clear, stuff like this happens: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...ricks-charges/

And here's a little insight into the application of laws in NY: https://www.brooklynpaper.com/storie...-08-16-bk.html

It's no wonder the driver wasn't charged if they can't get a conviction on more serious negligent killings via automobile.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08...cyclist-death/
Old 08-23-2019, 03:02 PM

https://bklyner.com/umar-mirza-baig-...-death-arrest/
Old 10-24-2019, 10:46 PM

https://nypost.com/2019/10/24/transp...yclist-deaths/: "City Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg on Thursday pointed to an increase in SUVs and the gentrification of industrial areas to explain the alarming spike in cyclist deaths across New York this year..."

I don't know about an increase in SUV use. Any stats to back that up?
Old 10-25-2019, 06:45 AM

Seems like nonsense to me. Half the deaths have been large trucks (ie sanitation, cement etc.). The city has been taking a lot of flak with lots of cyclist ride-outs (i.e. protests) at the lack of city action on the issue and this seems like a way to shift the blame.. It’s a bit of a topic amongst us here in NYC.

From what my lawyer friends tell me, the NYPD doesn’t recommend drivers for criminal prosecution which is the issue. The DA cannot prosecute if there’s no NYPD recommendation and the NYPD more or less steadfastly refuses to do that. In the one or two cases where they have the DA had to ask the NYPD to investigate because the political pressure was mounting. The missus is a criminal defence attorney and she never sees cases filed against drivers on the court schedule (not sure what the technical term is).

From my own experience there was a guy from my gym who was killed by a truck driven by someone without a drivers license who ran a red light. No charges. And this happens in almost every single case. Good luck about convincing us that the city cares about cyclists in any way.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/10/24/transp...yclist-deaths/: "City Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg on Thursday pointed to an increase in SUVs and the gentrification of industrial areas to explain the alarming spike in cyclist deaths across New York this year..."

I don't know about an increase in SUV use. Any stats to back that up?
Not NYC specific, but it's legit:

In the US, at the end of 2016, sales of SUVs and light duty trucks had surpassed traditional car sales for the year by over 3 million units. Manufacturers continued to phase out production of sedan models, replacing them with new models of SUVs. source
Old 10-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Not NYC specific, but it's legit:

In the US, at the end of 2016, sales of SUVs and light duty trucks had surpassed traditional car sales for the year by over 3 million units. Manufacturers continued to phase out production of sedan models, replacing them with new models of SUVs. source
Also here:
https://jalopnik.com/suvs-are-gulpin...-sa-1839060197
Relevant figure:
A new paper by the International Energy Agency puts this into perspective. According to the IEA, the global SUV market has doubled in the last decade. As a result, there are now more than 200 million SUVs on the world’s roads. In fact, SUVs alone account for 60 percent of the increased global car fleet since 2010, meaning about two out of every three new cars purchased in that time are SUVs (currently, about two out of every five new vehicles purchased are SUVs).

Also this:
Today, almost half of all cars sold in the United States and one-third of the cars sold in Europe are SUVs.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:36 AM

Yah you have to be a New Yorker living without a car I'd guess to have not noticed what's happened to automobiles?

Ford doesn't even sell any cars in the US anymore except for Mustangs!

SUVs have crap visibility compared to sedans. Buyers seem to think sitting up high makes them safe but it's a hell of a lot harder to see a short pedestrian or cyclist from that high viewpoint. I'd feel super unsafe on a recumbent bike compared to being up high on an upright bike. Surely why recumbents use flags so often, without them SUV drivers wouldn't have a chance at seeing them up close in traffic. Modern SUVs have super high door sills which block even more of the viewing angles.

I have an Outback when I get in my wife's sedan it's crazy how much better I can see stuff lower to the ground. There's no way in the world I'd have bought the Outback if Subaru hadn't stopped selling the Legacy wagon.

All these bigger/heavier/taller vehicles take longer to stop too so more chance of hitting a pedestrian/cyclist there too. I think people are more afraid to stand on the brakes in tall softly sprung vehicles too cause the nose dives so dramatically.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 AM

The point the article makes though that it explains the deaths this year. The SUV trend has been going on for a while. As mentioned, half the deaths this year in NYC seem to be large trucks not SUVs.

The point about gentrification of former industrial areas is bogus as well. I’ve looked where the accidents happened and thete is no trend to suggest that they are happening in new developments. They’re all over the place. Places like Long Island City have been around for a couple years now and they consistently get issues on the same avenues here. Don’t tell me that a dump trucks running someone over in a development that’s been here for close to 6 years is the result of gentrification and SUVs that took place last year. What sort of nonsense is that. It’s bad intersections most of the time and a combination of the cyclist being reckless (ie not assuming the car wants to kill them) and drivers being oblivious and/or reckless.

I’m a bit jaded as I’ve been hit by a car which didn’t seem to feel the need to yield at an intersection that’s known to be terrible and having all sorts of close calls with drivers who didn’t care about cyclists.

Last edited by jadedaid; 10-25-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:18 PM
head to toe Assos

I think the NYCDOT has to take some responsibility for the way the bike lanes have been implemented.
I may be a little off of the current discussion but here is an example:
This summer the DOT put in a bike lane on Amsterdam Avenue above 110 street.
Amsterdam has terrible traffic below 125th and originally was 2-lane in both directions. For sure the there was double parking but at least the traffic had a chance of movement.
Now the DOT has taken a lane away and painted in an unprotected bike lane. Horrendous traffic has now become unbearable. The Bike lane is useless to cyclists but great for the Pols who don't get bitched at by the NY Post for taking space away from cars. If you're going to ruin the flow of vehicular traffic and put in a bike lane why didn't you put in a protected one?
The double parking has increased tremendously along this stretch of road and as I found out the other day it is a great place for the Uber drivers to zoom up to the light and beat the traffic.
What was the point of all of this excerpt to make the community at large hate cyclists even more?