Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 10:52 AM

MTB: Straight forks with boost spacing?

Is this the only fork that has a straight steerer tube and boost (110x15mm) spacing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16465908264...2644&recoPos=1
Old 07-20-2022, 08:52 AM

My first thought was MRP as you used to be able to pick straight or tapered for several forks. Looks like that's no longer the case unfortunately. Fox may offer an OEM option that your local shop might be able to get their hands on?

Matty
Old 07-20-2022, 09:20 AM

Ooh, that's like finding a tubeless rim brake 26" rim. Disjoint time frames. Could you possibly use a headset meant to adapt straight headtube to tapered fork? I believe such a thing exists but happy to be corrected.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp View Post
My first thought was MRP as you used to be able to pick straight or tapered for several forks. Looks like that's no longer the case unfortunately. Fox may offer an OEM option that your local shop might be able to get their hands on?

Matty
It would take very little time/effort to contact MRP and see what they say. They still assemble everything in house and who knows what they’ve got laying around.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:31 PM

Suntour has a few, even ones for 20" and 24" but non are really worth pursuing.
There may also be a couple of Bolany/Bucklos/Lutu ones on Ebay but also not worth pursuing.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:58 PM

You and I are in a similar boat, although I'm not sure boost ever came with a straight steerer. I'm looking for 29, straight, 15x100... which doesnt currently exist, but did at one point maybe 10 years ago. Everything now seems either straight/QR, or tapered/boost... other than that same seller in Australia has the fork combo I need for $350ish, even though Manitou says they dont make one. I can also get a suntour air fork on ebay. I'm likely going to convert my wheel to QR.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:10 PM

Following this thread. I’ve also been on the hunt for a straight 1-1/8” steerer fork with 15x100 thru axle (and 470mm axle to crown) to no avail. I recently tried to track down a carbon boost fork with straight steerer, and also had no luck.

Ebay has some old stock stuff, but by golly do people cut their steerers short these days! I need enough tube for a L/XL frame with largish head tube, and all I could find used were forks with 6-7” steerer tubes remaining.

Report back if you locate the hidden treasure trove of NOS Niner forks or something from MRP!
Old 07-21-2022, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Ooh, that's like finding a tubeless rim brake 26" rim. Disjoint time frames. Could you possibly use a headset meant to adapt straight headtube to tapered fork? I believe such a thing exists but happy to be corrected.
3-4 examples

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/nobs-559
Old 07-22-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintruggler View Post
Following this thread. I’ve also been on the hunt for a straight 1-1/8” steerer fork with 15x100 thru axle (and 470mm axle to crown) to no avail. I recently tried to track down a carbon boost fork with straight steerer, and also had no luck.

Ebay has some old stock stuff, but by golly do people cut their steerers short these days! I need enough tube for a L/XL frame with largish head tube, and all I could find used were forks with 6-7” steerer tubes remaining.

Report back if you locate the hidden treasure trove of NOS Niner forks or something from MRP!
If you are looking for suspension, this about all I found out there. I didnt get a response, but maybe you'll have better luck
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3342186/

I almost went with this Salsa fork and a problem solvers QR adapter, but a forumite hooked me up with my unicorn suspension fork.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Cro-Moto-Grande-29-Fork

Last edited by cmbicycles; 07-22-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:06 PM

What suspension fork did you end up with?