Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM
ergottWheels

I've been riding plus sized tires for the last few years. If conditions are decent I want to bring a regular road bike instead, mechanical gears and rim brakes.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:02 AM

tire advice for the 160k?

Anyone have any tire advice for the 160k route? Any predictions about the mix of gravel vs paved? I have the option of 40mm gravel tires or 1.9" xc tires.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmortimer View Post
Anyone have any tire advice for the 160k route? Any predictions about the mix of gravel vs paved? I have the option of 40mm gravel tires or 1.9" xc tires.
everyone has a different threshold for what they prefer to ride, but deerfield is a "dirt road" randonnee, not a mtb race. 40mm is more than sufficient, IMO for anything you're going to see at d2r2, especially of you're not racing downhill.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
everyone has a different threshold for what they prefer to ride, but deerfield is a "dirt road" randonnee, not a mtb race. 40mm is more than sufficient, IMO for anything you're going to see at d2r2, especially of you're not racing downhill.
Yeah, the only reason I could see running fat xc tires is if you really really want to bomb the downhills or if you hate descending Hawks road.

Otherwise, I'd say that they would be a bit of a liability for all the ascending on D2R2. Everything is pretty well graded and 40s are more than wide enough for it. I've done it on everything from 28s to 40s and prefer the 40s since I have some nerve damage in my arm and the extra cush helps. Though I prefer the ride of a narrower tire for D2R2. I should really just get a Lauf fork and run narrow tires.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
or if you hate descending Hawks road.
i detour around that every year. my least favorite road in massachusetts.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 AM

I did the 180 last year on 40mm Kenda Flintridge tires. They were fine, but a little slow. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go fatter and slicker. Something like a ReneHerse 44mm Snoqualmie Pass or 55mm Antelope Hill. Most of the roads would have been regular road tires (25-28), but would have been slower, and over the course of the day more fatiguing. Sometimes it's nice to just roll over stuff.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Try it with disc brakes.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Try it with disc brakes.
i dont own a disc brake bike, but braking has nothing to do with why i prefer not to ride that road.

to be clear, i prefer to ride smaller volume tires. i dont weigh much, and i prefer the ride of 33's or 35's for most gravel, and IMO 95% of d2 stuff a 32c tire is idea with the few oddball roads, like hawks. so i optimize my equipment choice for 95% of the ride, and skip hawks. works for me, though i understand that these are individual preference choices.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 AM

I rode the 115K a few years ago on my '72 Bob Jackson running 28s and it was mostly fine. This time I'm bringing the blue Anderson with 35-37s (Vittoria Voyager Hypers, both sizes are on the tire, they measure 37-38) and disc brakes.

I'll be wearing a Paceline cap and hope to hook up with some of you. From previous posts, it appears that it doesn't matter which ride one signed up for, you can ride whatever suits you best that day?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
From previous posts, it appears that it doesn't matter which ride one signed up for, you can ride whatever suits you best that day?
you pretty much can, and it doesnt matter much if you're lunching in the same place of whatever ride you do, but if your lunch is in a different spot then where you signed up, it would be a good courtesy to let them know ahead of time. it'll help in the planning of getting the right amount of food where it is needed.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:24 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think the only ride they don't want you to switch to is the mystery but that might have changed now and you can. But yes, you can change to any ride the day off.

My take on tires. I agree with angry that no real big tires are needed, this is not a mtb ride. I think however that if you ride those roads or similar a lot, 32 is great. My buddy rips down those roads on 32 slick compasses or GK SKs. However if you never ride gravel or steep descents and ascents like that I really think you will have more fun with a 35+.

To me is not that is adequate for the ride but what will make the ride more fun and I think its more fun with a bigger tire. I also going to run thread because I love me some thread when you ride more than 50% gravel. These new dual purpose knobbies are awesome (minus the byway, that tire is garbage), but the new rene herse or the GK SK, I don't really feel slower on the road so I ride those.

I am going to ride my OPEN again this year but part of me wants to ride my Cielo on 32s instead. It can be kind of fun to underbike it a little bit, I also have been really enjoying that bike even though the OPEN is a better bike for this.

Regardless, I think whatever tires you decide to run you will have a lot of fun. Even 28s, or 25s. It will get sketchy here and there but in the end you will still probably have a good time.

I am just hoping for not too much heat and for no rain. Last year was rough for me, and the rain had something to do with that. However I probably take a cool rain shower here and there to crazy heat.

Its going to be awesome. Can't wait.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:01 PM

I am thinking MRB with 32s and the 100k with bailout option at lunch is likely for me depending on the temps and weather.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 01:01 PM
aka mbrt

Is descending Hawks worse that descending Old Albany?

Ray
Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrtool View Post
Is descending Hawks worse that descending Old Albany?

Ray
Old Albany is a more challenging descent, but on the route, Old Albany is an ascent and Hawks is a descent. A couple of years ago I had the brilliant idea to do some repeats up Old Albany as penance for something I could not remember. That is how I know descending Old Albany is a chestnut buster.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
This is like doing the Flanders sportif and riding the 6 inch dirt patch on the side of the cobbled sectors instead of the crown. You're only cheating yourself!!