Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM

I own one of Dario's bikes and it saddens me to hear about his sudden passing. RIP Dario!
Old 08-23-2018, 06:07 PM

RIP Dario, one of the great visionaries, a true renaissance man.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:11 PM

Sad, he seemed like such an iconoclast (like Bourdain) that spoke the truth. Kinda nice read by Peloton's Augustus Farmer, they just put this up.

https://pelotonmagazine.com/features...rio-pegoretti/
Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Administrator

oh man, this is terrible.

i always hoped i would get to meet dario some day, he's my kind of guy.

RIP.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM

What devastating news for his family and lovers of cycling and art everywhere.
I became a fan because of his passion, humanity and humor -- and obviously the ability to figure out how to make a magic carpet ride out of pipes. I have three Pegorettis, including a Ciavete that I just received a couple of months ago after a 10-month wait. My request for the paint was "bright colors and fish." I was so delighted when I received a fabulous little fish on the right chain stay.

I will be near Verona in a few weeks and was just about to email him about a visit to the shop.

What are the lessons we can learn from him? Be nice to people? Be yourself? Give it you all? Take time to find the beauty in the world? Be just a little provocative? Ride a tall head tube. . . .

RIP Maestro. Thank you for building and painting bikes that I love to ride.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:19 PM

I joined last Monday's hammerfest on my Duende and have been riding that and the Mxxxxxo almost regularly since I was fortunate enough to get them. They truly are wonderful. Each ride I like them more and more.

RIP Mr. Pegoretti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 06:25 PM

Oh my gosh, I am hollowed out. Completely empty.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM

I know I shouldn’t be, it’s not like I knew him personally. I’ve never even met him. But I’m just gutted today at the sudden news of his passing.

Dario (to me) was just this larger than life persona; more than any other person past or present (in the cycling world) I admired and respected him the most. The guy was a genius.

Rest in peace Dario. I’ll always cherish my Marcelo.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Only builder I really cared about

RIP
Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Ha - I was just talking with an artist/designer friend of mine singing Dario’s praises. I shared the news with him today that he died and he said it was a great loss to the design community - so true. I love that people who don’t care about bikes recognize the loss as well.

I would someday love to ride one of his bikes - it seems like it’s a benchmark for anyone who loves bikes. I’ve ridden a Sachs and a Kirk as well - the trifecta of master builders?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:55 PM
needs adult supervision

Dario has/had a son, who he loved so much. And you could tell the love was returned in equal measure. Please think of him tonight.

Dario was kind enough to attend our wedding in Italy and I was lucky enough to share one of the happiest times of my life with him. One memorable night in a tiny restaurant, Dario cajoled the chef into making some of his favorite dishes; ordered us way to much wine; and then tried to convince everyone to come outside to smoke afterwards, even those of us who never smoked. I had a few dinners with Dario. My god, none were ever dull...or sober. In the midst of his treatment for cancer, we had a few phone calls and even in those darkest of days, his titanic love of life and gulping down of all of it never left him.

He was Italian in every glorious sense. Man, I wish he’d taken better care of himself. But then taking care wasn’t Dario. And when you were with him, you never wanted to take care, either. He just made life better. God better have lots of pasta, wine, vinyl, and smokes on hand because heaven’s about to get rowdy.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Dang, great bikes, such an iconic person, his style and touch were instantly recognizable- his passion for his art as well -
Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Dario has/had a son, who he loved so much. And you could tell the love was returned in equal measure. Please think of him tonight.

Dario was kind enough to attend our wedding in Italy and I was lucky enough to share one of the happiest times of my life with him. One memorable night in a tiny restaurant, Dario cajoled the chef into making some of his favorite dishes; ordered us way to much wine; and then tried to convince everyone to come outside to smoke afterwards, even those of us who never smoked. I had a few dinners with Dario. My god, none were ever dull...or sober. In the midst of his treatment for cancer, we had a few phone calls and even in those darkest of days, his titanic love of life and gulping down of all of it never left him.

He was Italian in every glorious sense. Man, I wish he’d taken better care of himself. But then taking care wasn’t Dario. And when you were with him, you never wanted to take care, either. He just made life better. God better have lots of pasta, wine, vinyl, and smokes on hand because heaven’s about to get rowdy.
This is profoundly poignant. Thank you for writing this.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:47 PM

RIP Mr. Round, it was a pleasure to meet you and a privilidge to ride one of your masterpieces. You did it right my friend.